Brewer Fanatic

Rolen Trade, Latest: Glaus/Rolen swap (reply #795)

Interesting comments from the STL Post-Dispatch . . .

The Cardinals have approached several teams about Rolen but been frustrated in their attempts to acquire multiple players for him. The Brewers apparently drew the line at pitcher Chris Capuano. The Los Angeles Dodgers have an interest but were described by one team official Wednesday as "background noise."

• Replies 818
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I guess I don't see paying a proven MLB player like Rolen $12MM/year despite coming off an injury to a shoulder more of a risk than paying a player coming from Japan $11MM/year. Japanese players aren't always all they are cracked up to be. For every Ichirio or Hideki Matsui there is a Hideki Irabu, Kaz Matsui. Even Dice-K failed to live up the promise of ESPN pundits looking for a dominate pitcher with a 3.00 ERA. Not saying they aren't good but it is a big adjustment both culturally and talent wise.

This is all true, but at least you don't have to shell out some ungodly amount of money just to have the right to negotiate that $11M/year contract with Fukudome. How often does a player of his apparent quality come here from Japan, fill a huge need for the Brewers and not have a massive price tag?

I'd take the risk, or at least make the offer, if I were DM. You get a player who will probably improve the team, plus the extra marketing value. Of course, if I were DM, the Brewers would probably be dead last AND bankrupt, so take my opinion for whatever you think it's worth. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Interesting comments from the STL Post-Dispatch . . .

The Cardinals have approached several teams about Rolen but been frustrated in their attempts to acquire multiple players for him. The Brewers apparently drew the line at pitcher Chris Capuano. The Los Angeles Dodgers have an interest but were described by one team official Wednesday as "background noise."

Slowly but surely the Cardinals are realizing that Rolen doesn't hold much value and honestly I think Capuano with the Brewers paying all of Rolen's salary may be the best offer they get for him.

AJAY,

That is why I don't think we can write off Rolen coming to Milwaukee. Right now, I don't really see any team other than us being in a position where they'd give a better offer than the Brewers. I hope that Melvin is just playing chess with the St. Louis GM. If we can talk them into taking Capuano, Mench, and Gillespie/Gwynn for Rolen. I would be content with that.

One thing is sure though, Bill Hall should not be part of the deal. He provides above average offensive production from the centerfield position. And I think he'll be much more average defensively this next season out there. To lose him would leave us right where we started, with a hole in the outfield and with no good option for filling that hole.

The Cardinals have approached several teams about Rolen but been frustrated in their attempts to acquire multiple players for him. The Brewers apparently drew the line at pitcher Chris Capuano.

Good. Capuano plus Hall (as rumored) is crazy given the question marks about Rolen, his salary, and the fact that the Cards have little leverage.

OK, so in a week or so, when the Cards have had a few cartons of eggnog and a chance to contemplate the potential distraction that would come with bringing back Rolen, offer Capuano plus a minor prospect or two (and by that I mean a Crabbe or Jackson rather than a Gamel or Pena), and everyone can tell their hometown fans that they won.

To me, the money isn't the issue in the deal as much as the talent going in exchange. Assuming the Cards are not expecting anyone to pick up the $10+M in deferred money (and I can't believe that they are), I don't think it breaks the Brewers' bank to pay $8-10M a year for Rolen. Whether the budget is there and Melvin feels the same way is another story, of course.

Now that Andruw Jones has signed with the Dodgers, I wonder if LA might pull out of the Rolen sweepstakes. Do you think the Dodgers would want both guys?

I don't see why. Considering what the Cardinals have been asking for and the Dodgers reluctance to give up top prospects for Miguel Cabrera and Johan Santana when presented the oppurtunity I can't see them making a trade for Rolen unless they give up Pierre. And let's be honest the Cards have Edmonds now and Rasmus to replace Edmonds they're not going to want or need Pierre.

The Giants GM is really the guy to watch. If the Cards are going to get anything remotely approaching what they are seeking it would be from them.

But if that deal of Lincecum for Rios goes down then I think his interest will be tempered. So would the Giants really trade away pitching for Rios and then turn around and trade more pitching for Rolen? That seems counter-productive. I'm really hoping the Rios for Lincecum deal goes down now. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

No matter the talk of the struggles, the better pitcher between Capuano and Lowry is undoubtedly Capuano. He has the 18 win season and the All-Star appearance. Now I'm not swayed at all by these things, but if you're giving up a gent of Rolen's stature, you need to get a name. The Dodgers had the ammunition to usurp our position with Rolen. I guess "Hennesey and Sanchez" might get the deal done (and come on, guys, when does Hennessey and Sanchez NOT get the deal done?) but that's a lot to give up for an injury risk such as Rolen. We have the inside position and with all the doubletalk this week, I'm truly expecting to see Scott announced by Sunday as our big off-season acquisition. His defense is sorely needed with our staff (even Benny pitches to contact!) and he would serve as a steadying presence within the locker room. And, as alluded to earlier, the guy exudes an air of pride, and you have to imagine that he would go out of his way to prove to the baseball world that LaRussa is a commie!

"Rolen issued a cool statement through his agents, Sam and Seth Levinson.

"These are matters that I never discussed publicly and are matters that should have remained private," Rolen said. "I will not dignify Tony's comments with any response at this time."

Seth Levinson made it sound as if a trade was inevitable

"It is entirely disingenuous for Tony to claim to be mystified when last year, the organization in a conference call apologized for his highly inappropriate behavior," he said. "This year, Tony wrote a letter and left a follow-up voicemail which would prove to any reasonable person that the relationship is irreparably damaged""

"These are matters that I never discussed publicly and are matters that should have remained private," Rolen said. "I will not dignify Tony's comments with any response at this time."

Ouch. I agree that including Hall with Capuano wouldn't make any sense. Capuano for Rolen straight up with the Brewers taking all of the salary would be fine by me. Capuano + Gwynn or Mench? I'd say the Cards picking up $3 mil would be fair, I think bringing it down to on avg $10/yr for him?

I don't have time to go all the way back through the thread here, but no, Peavey, I agree that Hall, Capuano + we assume Rolen's entire contract IS too much. But do we definitively know that that was the package Mozeliak offered?

We don't know what goes on in these dealings, but what I do know is that Doug is arguably the most cautious GM in the business. And as I've said before, when the core players leading our team are pretty much all making McDonald's wages, then THAT'S the rare time when you CAN, godforbid, overpay for a veteran whom you know can upgrade us in a pretty big way.

Again, if Doug fails to land Rolen, even he admitted it's his own fault. But if he pulls it off without handcuffing us in other areas, then my faith in him is fully restored.

"So if this fruit's a Brewer's fan, his ass gotta be from Wisconsin...(or Chicago)."

It just seems like there's no good reason a trade shouldn't happen now. St. Louis has no leverage at this point...if the Cardinals GM thinks he should get Hall + Capuano for Rolen, he's nuts, unless they're willing to eat a HUGE portion of Rolen's contract.

I still think we could see Scott Rolen traded to the Brewers within the next week.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I'm glad we don't have Rolen. I think Hall is marginally better at 3rd given that Scottie is an older version of Ben Sheets-in-the-field. I want no part of short term solutions in a small market venue. One wrong move and zap! You're screwed for five years. I can't see them adding LaRoche now because of his bad back. I'd concentrate on a centerfielder now. I like the Fukudome dude, but there's risk there as well. There might not be any good answers and we may just have to live with the consequences.

If the Cards' new GM thought he was in the driver's seat with this possible trade, I think he's starting to realize that he was dead wrong. While the Brewers would love to trade for Rolen in the right deal, they don't necessarily have to - Looks like the Cards absolutely have to trade Rolen. If I'm Melvin, I call the Cards' GM right after the meetings and offer Capuano + one of Mench, Gwynn, or a so-so prospect and ask for Rolen + 1/3 of his remaining contract picked up by the Cardinals. That deal gives Milwaukee roster flexibility plus a legit 3B, and at a very reasonable cost for their budget - it would also give the Cards a much-needed starting pitcher and probably another player that would make their starting lineup (especially if Edmonds or Ankiel are dealt, as has been rumored)

A little bit OT, but I wanted to throw this out there. Haudricourt posted this in the comments section of his blog this morning at about 7:30 in response to a particularly annoying commenter who has been insisting (among other things) that the Cards have worked out a deal with the Dodgers, that Haudricourt has some kind of vested interest in Rolen, and that Haudricourt is dishonest. Its pretty funny stuff:

Tom Haudricourt

"Cauleys," you know it all. Who am I to argue with you. I'll wait for that Rolen signing with the Dodgers that you have sworn over and over will happen before the end of business today. You are the only one saying that. I defy you to identify anyone in LA or STL reporting it. Of course, what do the people covering the teams actually know more than you, who apparently takes every single rumor, including those from the mail man, cab driver, barking dog next door as the absolute fact. I posted a blog warning people that 99.9% of the rumors coming out of the winter meetings have no basis in fact. Youu must have missed that blog. You believe EVERYTHING you hear and take it for gospel, then pass on the misinformation to others as fact. The fact that so many other people on these blogs attack your rants should tell you something. I've never seen so many people go after a respondent. Congratulations. But keep on insisting that you know more than me. All I do is cover the team and talk to the GM and his assistants every day, who've never lied to me. Hey, the Dodgers signed Andruw Jones late last night. Why didn't you tell us about that before it happened? Was your crystal ball at the cleaners? One thing about these blogs that I've had to come to terms with. People can post any nonsense they want and present it as fact. That's a form of poisoning, in my opinion. But it is what is. Congratulations, "Cauleys" I expect you to be named commissioner of baseball any day now because you know EVERYTHING that is happening in the sport. If only any of it were actually true.

The Brewers have never once been linked to Fukudome, so I wish his name stops surfacing as an option in Milwaukee. He's got 4-5 large market teams bidding for him, not to mention teams in Japan that want him to stay there.

If Hall stays with the Brewers and doesn't get traded, Melvin more or less stated that he'd be in CF no matter what - something along the lines of saying that it wouldn't be fair to Hall to continue to switch his position year after year, which I agree with. While it seems logical to move Hall back to 3rd, it doesn't look like it would happen in Milwaukee.

Since Rolen's been compared defensively to Brooks Robinson when he's healthy, I would guess that he isn't marginally worse than Hall at the hot corner, either.

Archived