Brewer Fanatic

Rolen Trade, Latest: Glaus/Rolen swap (reply #795)

TRWI7: Maddux was not a member of the Cubs last year. he was not pitching for them in the first half of last year or the second half. maddux did lead the padres to a very successful season last year until they fell apart against the brewers in the final weekend of the season. if the padres had only pitched Peavey in that last game against the brewers. if only. You can't blame Maddux for that judgement call.

No but I said he was a member of the 2006 Cubs and they were horrible when he was on the team.

• Replies 818
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From the Cardinals perspective:

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/cardinals/story/125B84A19A39982A862573A800192401?OpenDocument

This comment stood out to me:

"I think one of the clubs we've been speaking with is in less of a hurry to get something accomplished," Mozeliak said. No further meetings with the Brewers are planned.

Good. Given the names McCalvy through out there, I'm glad Melvin is being patient this offseason.

And from reading the rest of those comments I just can't help but wonder what the Cardinals are going to end up with for Rolen. They really think they can get fair trade value assuming Rolen is at his best and healthy and that the Cardinals won't take on any of the financial commitment. Good luck with that.

From colbyjack's link:

According to Cardinals general manager John Mozeliak, the team's Gold Glove third baseman is unlikely to go anywhere before Major League Baseball's winter meetings adjourn Thursday.

Mozeliak didn't stop there. Admittedly frustrated over his inability to obtain "value" for the player, the Cardinals' recently appointed GM predicted Rolen would still be with the club when it reports to Jupiter, Fla., for spring training in little more than two months.

"As we sit here now, I would expect Scott Rolen to be part of our team for the 2008 season," Mozeliak said.

Frustrated = Desperate

There's a lot of offseason still ahead of us, and at some point Mozeliak should probably realize that Rolen isn't worth as much as he thinks he is.

I agree, i think the Cardinals think they are in the drivers seat here when in reality they are not. I think Doug just said here is our deal, take it or leave it. Of course the Cardinals were "offended" and said they can get a better deal. I expect that they come back to the Brewers in the next couple weeks when nothing better comes along.

I like the sound of that article. Looks like Mozeliak is beginning to see you cant sell high on a guy who wants off your team, who was injuried last year, and who you arent willing to pick up any of his contract. The Cards dont really hold a lot of chips in this one b/c odds are heavy he wont be on their team come April. This reminds me of the whole Javon Walker or Mike mcKenzie things with the Packers. We couldnt get the value we wanted because the guys wanted out or were recently injured, but the Pack tried to holdout for more until they realized they just needed to take the best offer.

I think Melvin did the right thing not pulling the trigger here. It looks like he wouldn't even propose a multi-player deal and STILL expected the Cards to eat salary. This deal only makes sense for us if the Cards eat salary and we don't loose that much. We don't need to get Rolen half as much as the Cards need to get rid of him.

Well put, chinabob. Good to hear that the Cards are getting a dose of reality. This deal may yet re-start.

if the padres had only pitched Peavey in that last game against the brewers. if only. You can't blame Maddux for that judgement call.

Well, if you can give him credit for a bunch of other stuff over which he didn't have control, I don't see how this is any further far-fetched. There are a number of reasons why the Padres had a great season, and Maddux's so-called 'winning influence' is very near the bottom.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

If the Cardinals can do better than what the Brewers offered, more power to them. I suspect that they're going to be in for a surprise though. I don't buy for an instant that Rolen will be with the Cardinals by Spring Training and nobody is going to give the Cardinals a package for an All Star, so their GM is in a tight spot.

Robert

trwi7 - this is actually what you wrote

Like he lead the Cubs to the NL Central lead in the first half of last season before he was traded. Oh wait.

that might not have been what you meant to say, but it was written in black, so I have to take it at face value, and believe that's what you meant to say. I interpreted when you wrote last season as 2007, n0t 2006. that's why i corrected you.

Scott Rolen went nowhere Tuesday.

And, according to Cardinals general manager John Mozeliak, the team's Gold Glove third baseman is unlikely to go anywhere before Major League Baseball's winter meetings adjourn Thursday.

Mozeliak didn't stop there. Admittedly frustrated over his inability to obtain "value" for the player, the Cardinals' recently appointed GM predicted Rolen would still be with the club when it reports to Jupiter, Fla., for spring training in little more than two months.

"As we sit here now, I would expect Scott Rolen to be part of our team for the 2008 season," Mozeliak said.

Link

Brewers GM Doug Melvin, one of baseball's more experienced dealers, told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel it was he who couldn't quite pull the trigger on the trade that would have brought Scott Rolen from St. Louis. However, that deal isn't quite dead.

People close to that team still could see trade talks reviving between the teams.

Cardinals pitching coach Dave Duncan thinks he can help Capuano, who singlehandedly prevented the Brewers from making the playoffs in 2007 by losing just about every game he started after beginning 7-0. Almost unbelievably, the Brewers lost the last 22 games in which Capuano appeared after winning the first seven.

Link

That bolded part is just irresponsible reporting by Heyman and it's disgusting to see.

Per Haudricourt's blog

Here's another tidbit I'd like to throw out: It's not beyond the realm of possibility that Scott Rolen would be playing third for the Brewers next year. They broke off talks with St. Louis yesterday, apparently because the Cards were asking for too much in return.

But, if talks with the Dodgers and Giants go nowhere, the Cards could come back to the Brewers and ask for less in return. A member of the Brewers' traveling party here told me that wouldn't surprise him one bit.

Apparently, Rolen has to go because of his toxic relationship with manager Tony La Russa. Thus, if the Cards get shut out elsewhere, they might come back and lessen their demands.

Just wanted to throw that out there. There's still plenty of time before spring training and anything can happen.

I think this deal is far from dead.
Follow me on Twitter

Single handedly..no. Did he contribute a big part of it...absolutely.

And so did Sheets getting hurt, and Braun's defense and Yostings with the bullpen and not playing Hart from the beginning and Hall struggling, Weeks struggling, our 3rd base platoon, Cordero blowing that game against the Cubs which cost us 2 games in the standings (how many games did we lose the division by again?), Bush not pitching well, Vargas being the same Vargas, Hardy slumping in the 2nd half and Estrada.

Per Haudricourt's blog

Here's another tidbit I'd like to throw out: It's not beyond the realm of possibility that Scott Rolen would be playing third for the Brewers next year. They broke off talks with St. Louis yesterday, apparently because the Cards were asking for too much in return.

But, if talks with the Dodgers and Giants go nowhere, the Cards could come back to the Brewers and ask for less in return. A member of the Brewers' traveling party here told me that wouldn't surprise him one bit.

Apparently, Rolen has to go because of his toxic relationship with manager Tony La Russa. Thus, if the Cards get shut out elsewhere, they might come back and lessen their demands.

Just wanted to throw that out there. There's still plenty of time before spring training and anything can happen.

I think this deal is far from dead.

That is encouraging. Alot of us were saying yesterday that the Cards might have been bluffing by demanding that the Crew eat Rolen's whole salary and give up a prospect + Capuano. If Melvin thought that too, he would certainly expect the Cards to come crawling back once they (a) can't get a good offer from LA or SF or (b) can't get a grumpy Rolen to agree to a trade out of the midwest.

Single handedly..no. Did he contribute a big part of it...absolutely.
And so did Sheets getting hurt, and Braun's defense and Yostings with the bullpen and not playing Hart from the beginning and Hall struggling, Weeks struggling, our 3rd base platoon, Cordero blowing that game against the Cubs which cost us 2 games in the standings (how many games did we lose the division by again?), Bush not pitching well, Vargas being the same Vargas, Hardy slumping in the 2nd half and Estrada.

If you read my post you'd see I didn't just blame it on him alone. Yes there were other factors and there always will be so those points are mute to a factor. Hard to compare Capuano's 22 straight losses to Coco blowing that game against the cubs isn't it.

http://blogs.jsonline.com/brewers/archive/2007/12/05/brewers-talked-with-d-backs-about-valverde.aspx

All this gamesmanship is humorous to say the least. Yeah, so the Cards call the Brewers next week acting totally frustrated and offering to "sweeten" the deal by paying some of Rolen's contract, grumbling that it's more than they want to give, but it's the best they can do (cough, cough). The Brewers walk away feeling they were smart to hold out and get a "great" deal. The Cardinal's hang up the phone and snicker because all their "bluffing" worked and they ended up eating less of Rolen's contract than they originally planned.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Hard to compare Capuano's 22 straight losses to Coco blowing that game against the cubs isn't it.

Well when Coco blew the save against the Cubs our lead would have gone to 9.5 and 10.5 the next day after the win but instead went to 7.5 and then 8.5 the next day after the win. So that cost us two games in the standings on a game that for all intents and purposes was wrapped up. So when we ended up losing the division by two games to the same team that Coco cost us two games on you can see my point.

Finding every error for every game we lost won't prove much of anything to me. When something like 22 straight losses occur, now thats something you look at. No one will be perfect to correct every error which in turn cures all these losses. If thats all you focus on good luck winning.

It's like arguing gravity pushed to hard against the 33rd hair strand on the horses tail which caused him to lose the race. Instead of concentrating on his missing horse shoe (cappy's 22 straight loses) you correct something small and pointless like the hair (coco's loss)

^^odd point but it can work for now.

From Baseball Prospectus

3:30 p.m. ET:

Milwaukee and St. Louis have the framework of a deal set in which the Brewers would get third baseman Scott Rolen from the Cardinals for left-hander Chris Capuano. What is holding the deal up is haggling over other players that might included in the trade, and also how much, if anything, St. Louis will pay of the $36 million left on the final three years on Rolen's contract.

Make of that what you will, but it's dated just a couple of hours ago. I suspect that a deal isn't exactly imminent, but it's not completely dead either.

Robert

Archived