Brewer Fanatic

Rolen Trade, Latest: Glaus/Rolen swap (reply #795)

This day has gone from very promising to a disaster

I don't think it has been a disaster. If Melvin would have given in to St. Louis' outrageous demands, that would have been a disaster. There's no use paying so much for a player that is an injury waiting to happen.

• Replies 818
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A disaster is signing Jeffrey Hammonds. I don't think not being able to pull off a deal where the other team likely wants too much in return is anything to get overly disappointed about. The Brewers still have starting pitching to deal and it's only early December, so there will be deals to be made. Maybe not now, but sometime.

Not to mention, the Cardinals may just find out that the Brewers had the best deal on the board in the first place and come back around. Heck, maybe Rolen goes to LA and LaRoche suddenly becomes available, which wouldn't be a bad turn either.

Robert

This day has gone from very promising to a disaster
i think that is a over statement. We don't know what Doug is going to do. In addition we don't HAVE to get a 3rd baseman. Maybe it would be easier to get a left fielder and let Braun have another try at 3rd. I am a little disappointed too, but i am not ready to call the winter meetings a bust.

Yeah thats true. atleast we're not the Red Sox or Yankees fanbase. those premadonas must be on suicide watch after Minnesota told them to shove it on Johan Santana.

Maybe not trading Capuano is part of an evil plot to trade Mench, Gwynn, and Capuano to the Twins for Johan Santana who will be so excited about playing for the Brewers that he will sign a 10 year $20 million dollar deal to play for the Brewers.

*Note*- i said evil, because the only team I don't want Melvin to rip off is my first love.

The Cardinals and Brewers are having a tough time making headway on a potential deal for third baseman Scott Rolen. According to one major-league source, talks aren't dead, but they certainly aren't as warm as they once were. But according to another source, the Cards' efforts to trade Rolen are "nowhere...absolutely nowhere."

Of course, that could all change once Miguel Cabrera gets dealt.

The biggest obstacles to a Brewers-Cardinals trade remain the money left on Rolen's deal and the idea of trading him within the division. Rolen is owed $33 million on the final three years of his contract, and injuries have limited him to fewer than 115 games in two of the past three years. The Cardinals almost certainly will need to contribute cash to the deal, particularly if they want better players in return. Left-hander Chris Capuano likely is one of the Cardinals' targets.

The Brewers, though, might be Rolen's first choice, and his no-trade clause gives him the right to veto any deal. Rolen, a native of Jasper, Ind., likely would prefer to remain in the Midwest. He also is close with Brewers pitcher Jeff Suppan, his former teammate with the Cardinals.

Does anyone believe Rolen will actually force the Cards to deal him to the Brewers? It just seems very weird to me that he could twist the Cards' arm to the point where they could throw their cards in the air and send him to Milwaukee.

But now that Miggy Cabrera is en route to Detroit, the Angels and Giants may step up the offers for him. But since Rolen wants to stay in the Midwest, this could make things very interesting.

Yeah thats true. atleast we're not the Red Sox or Yankees fanbase. those premadonas must be on suicide watch after Minnesota told them to shove it on Johan Santana.

Maybe not trading Capuano is part of an evil plot to trade Mench, Gwynn, and Capuano to the Twins for Johan Santana who will be so excited about playing for the Brewers that he will sign a 10 year $20 million dollar deal to play for the Brewers.

*Note*- i said evil, because the only team I don't want Melvin to rip off is my first love.

uuuggghhhhh!

maybe you should stick to the twins board if that is your first love...

http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/eyes.gif

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Worst case scenario, Gross/someone is the LF platoon, and many here felt that could match the 2007 combo.

As Robert said, they will get something of note for an excess SP, or maybe 2. I still wonder if Eric Gagne's demands have fallen down to where Doug has interest.

Buster Olney was just on ESPNEWS and said that the Brewers were willing to pay all of Rolen's salary but balked at giving up a top prospect (good move). He also said that Rolen will be traded due to the irreconcilable differences between him and LaRussa. The Giants are talking with the Cardinals now about Rolen.

Did anyone else catch another one of Melvin's quotes in the TH blog entry about the talks being considered dead?

"It just seemed like we were getting farther apart," said Melvin. "We disagreed on some issues. We didn't completely close the door but I don't anticipate (further negotiations).

We all know what it means when Doug "doesn't anticipate" something happening. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Buster Olney was just on ESPNEWS and said that the Brewers were willing to pay all of Rolen's salary but balked at giving up a top prospect (good move).

If Buster's right, the Cardinals can enjoy dumping Rolen for next to nothing to someone else now that they've burned their bridges. That's absurd.

Well it depends on who the "top" prospect is, and what kind of impact we'd be talking about.

Rolen would do so many things for our team.

He'd make our defense solid. Having him and Hardy on the left side, and moving Braun to left would probably make our team average defensively. We would have easily won the division last year if we had played better defense. Rolen would do that, his effect on the defense would have a strong effect on our team's pitching.

He's got a solid OBP. What other 3b is available that can offer the type of OBP that Rolen does? He gets on base at a solid rate, and that's what we need.

If the top prospect was LaPorta or Parra, I wouldn't make the trade. But I would be willing to give anyone else along with Capuano for the solid upgrades that Rolen would bring to our team.

i wonder about the "top prospect" too. Currently it is LaPorta but he can't even be traded. After that it would be Parra and there is no way we trade Parra along with Cappy.

I think Cappy for Rolen straight up without the Cards picking up any salary seems fair, but of course it doesnt matter if the Dodgers or Giants really want Rolen and he waves his no trade clause for them

Maybe he'll hold out because he's good friends w/ Suppan, he wants to stay in the midwest, and he wants to beat the Cardinals every year, and demand a trade to Milwaukee.

Yeah thats it, I'm not just trying to make myself feel better.

While the Brewers would be my first choice for Scott due to personal viewing reasons, the Giants and Dodgers would probably both give a better yield. Melvin is smart. LA and SF are not.

Additionally, what the Cards really need most is youngish, team controlled players. They need to be trading for guys like the young arms the Giants have or the young position players LA wants to deal because the veterans don't like them.

I am pacing the floor hoping the Cliff Lee rumors to the Cards aren't true. I just can't bring myself to believe it. We fired Jocketty and DeWitt said there would be a new focus on player development. Bryan Anderson is the 2nd best catching prospect in the minors and his comps are unreal. Catching prospects aren't so easy to come by either. 5 years of team controlled Reyes + Anderson for Cliff Lee? I just threw up in my mouth a little.

Well you know what - Now Capuano gets a chance to improve on a down year. 2005 and 2006 were not a mirage. When players of Rolens calibur are mentioned, how quickly I forget that Chris Capuano in 2005 and 2006 averaged 220 IP with an ERA of about 4.00. There is no team in this league that wouldnt take those #s out of their #5 starter.

There is no reason to expect that 2007 will be his norm from here forward. I think that Cardinals made a huge mistake here.

I am pacing the floor hoping the Cliff Lee rumors to the Cards aren't true. I just can't bring myself to believe it. We fired Jocketty and DeWitt said there would be a new focus on player development. Bryan Anderson is the 2nd best catching prospect in the minors and his comps are unreal. Catching prospects aren't so easy to come by either. 5 years of team controlled Reyes + Anderson for Cliff Lee? I just threw up in my mouth a little.

I don't blame you, that sounds like a pretty bad trade to me

Archived