Brewer Fanatic

Rolen Trade, Latest: Glaus/Rolen swap (reply #795)

• Replies 818
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't think St. Louis would give him up for Vargas
I would offer Vargas + Escobar. And I think St. Louis would be all over that - assuming we took the contract on. We might not even need to inclued Escobar.

Is his value much different than Koskie's value a few years ago? We got the Blue Jays to eat his salary AND trade him to use for nothing. If we are willing to eat all of Rolen's salary, St. Louis's asking price would be very low.

and what did Koskie ever do for us? They GAVE him to us for a reason, he sucked!

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

and what did Koskie ever do for us? They GAVE him to us for a reason, he sucked!

Seriously?

.261 / .343 / .490 / .833 / 110 OPS+ while playing very good defense. Its unfortunate his tenure here ended with his head injury, but he didn't suck.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I realize Rolen was hurt last year, but he had a pretty ugly offensive season. OPS of .729 and only 8 homers in well over 400 plate appearances. If you're going to take on the entire 3 year/36 million dollar contract I think you'd have to be reasonably sure that you can 1.) get at least 130 games out of him, and B.) get something approaching an .800 OPS from him.

you'd have to be reasonably sure that you can 1.) get at least 130 games out of him, and B.) get something approaching an .800 OPS from him.
That's the rub. If you could be reasonably sure that you could get 130 games and an .800 OPS - he would cost us a very good player. Make no mistake, it would certainly be a risk.

I just feel that I would rather risk 3 years and 36 million on Rolen than 4 years and 45 million on Cordero. (Of course, neither is likely to happen - so the point is pretty moot I guess)

Whoa! That's a very selective memory. Koskie sucked? No.

Toronto GAVE him to us because they already had Shea Hillenbrand and committed huge bucks to Troy Glaus. They has 3 starting 3B and needed to lighten their glut. Everyone knew it and Toronto had no leverage.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, but that's just ignorant. If you can't come up with anything more substantive that 'he sucked' you should probably just keep your thoughts to yourself. Particularly when it's so obviously wrong...

I would try to get Anthony Reyes along w/ Rolen.. They seem very down on Reyes. I would be very excited w/ getting Rolen. I think he is going to come back very strong after his shoulder is healed.

How much of Rolen's contract do you think the Cardinals will pick up? Who do they have to play 3rd?

To this point, the Cards have said they will not pick up any of that money. We'll see if they stick to that, but that's where they've been to this point - that's why the Twins backed off.

I'd take the whole contract if I would only have to give up Vargas. The more money they'd pick up the more I'd be willing to offer.

For some reason I think that the Cards are going to have a hard time giving up Scott Rolen for Claudio Vargas. I think it will at least take Chris Capuano, unless Rolen's shoulder injury is really that bad. Even in 06' he wasn't totally healthy and he put up a huge season. I don't understand why is value is that low?

For some reason I think that the Cards are going to have a hard time giving up Scott Rolen for Claudio Vargas. I think it will at least take Chris Capuano, unless Rolen's shoulder injury is really that bad. Even in 06' he wasn't totally healthy and he put up a huge season. I don't understand why is value is that low?

I said if the Cards aren't going to pay any salary then I would only offer Vargas, if they pick some salary up I'd be more inclined to include more. The Cards really don't have leverage, he's coming off a shoulder injury and has 3/36 remaining on his contract. He's an injury risk and if they're not picking up any salary he's not worth much more than Vargas.

I guess I would bat him 5th if he's anywhere near healthy. I think the lineup would be better than last years, even w/ only 1 lefthanded bat. Gross, Counsell, Munson, and Gwynn are all lefty's, and that group will probably get a decent amount of ab's.

Where would you hit Rolen?

A lineup of 7 righthanded hitters and Prince Fielder doesn't make for much balance but does make for lots of double plays.

Who cares where Rolen would hit? He has been one of the better, more consistent hitters in baseball ever since his rookie of the year season in 1997. He's only hit .300 once, but he's always hovered in the .280-.290 range with a very good OBP and an equally good SLG. He could hit anywhere from #2 to #6 and he could easily be the best overall hitter the team has.

The injury thing I think is overblown. I remember reading a story at the end of the year that talked about how Rolen was already returning to full strength for the 2008 season, as his relationship with Tony LaRussa really is the biggest thing bringing him down and making him available right now.

The money obviously is huge, but I've said before that teams with budding playoff aspirations sometimes need to take on some financial risks as long as other key elements are in place. And I haven't even brought up Rolen's defense at the hot corner (well, I did several posts ago in this thread), as moving Braun's bat, and glove, to left field would be just as big as acquiring Rolen to play the hot corner.

Archived