Brewer Fanatic

Rolen Trade, Latest: Glaus/Rolen swap (reply #795)

• Replies 818
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Teams will adjust their rotations to avoid throwing lefties.
Nope, this is really not an option unless they want to screw up the rest schedules of their pitchers. Seriously, facing a Brewers righty line-up is not worth the risk of an injury just to make sure you get a right handed pitcher on the mound for the series with the Crew. The playoffs are a whole other discussion though...
@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

As for my comments on Fielder's production loss. Guys like Oswalt, Zambrano, Snell, Carpenter, and Harang who the Brewers see often are just not going to pitch to Fielder at all and they'll take their chances on Braun, Hart and Rolen. Rolen isn't bad against righties, but Braun and Hart are significantly worse against them. Teams will adjust their rotations to avoid throwing lefties.

1. Do you believe Jenkins played that big a role in our offense that a LF bat of his quality is going to make a noticable difference?

2. If that is the case, we can always play Gross more. (Personally, Gross in 2008 = Jenkins in 2008)

Back on Rolen. I am concerned to hear St. Louis continuing to talk about Bill Hall. I would rather assume more of Rolen's contract and keep Bill. I would hate to sell low on Capuano & Hall.

St. Louis may not want to trade him to Milwaukee.

But Rolen said he wants to play in the Midwest. St. Louis may not want to send him to Milwaukee. But the only other option might be to keep him. (And I doubt they are willing to do that)

Edit: I wonder who the "top prospect" was/is?

Aracko says: "It's like trading Jenkis for Rolen."

First Rolen was no better than Jenkins last year offensively. His slugging percentage was significantly lower. Jenkins was also healthy all year. Rolen wasn't. Don't you guys ever watch the Cardinals? Rolen often grimaces in pain when he swings and misses. There are much better options than Jenkins out there, that fit the professional hitter mold better than Rolen. Many have been discussed hear. Several have already been dealt elsewhere.

No deal? Hooray.

I did like one thing about this deal had it gone down. That was Capuano on the Cardinals. That would have been sweet.

Have you ever not liked a trade Melvin made? Everyone on here seems to be a Melvin cheerleader. When did he get the Brewers in the playoffs?

He's made mostly successful moves that have improved the team every year to the point where we are a playoff contendor despite our financial liabilities.

As for my comments on Fielder's production loss. Guys like Oswalt, Zambrano, Snell, Carpenter, and Harang who the Brewers see often are just not going to pitch to Fielder at all and they'll take their chances on Braun, Hart and Rolen. Rolen isn't bad against righties, but Braun and Hart are significantly worse against them. Teams will adjust their rotations to avoid throwing lefties.

I don't follow. That sound like it will help Fielder's production. He won't have to face as many lefties, and when he does they'll just pitch around him and give him a pass?

I think the better argument is it would be easy for the opposition to bring out their LOOGY. Fielder will have to face a LOOGY every game.

I'm guessing the overall impact of a largely RH lineup would be fairly inconsequential. I thought you said Counsell would be starting half the season anyway? http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

The move of Braun to LF precludes them from adding the LH bat they need.

As a starter, but it sounds like Mench is on his way out as well - be it in this trade or otherhow (not a real word). Hart - Hall - Braun - Gross, we still need one more backup. I could see another LH bench bat, considering the RH Dillon can play some OF. With Gross, Counsell, and possibly a third LHB on the bench, I think we'd be okay.

Rolen for Capuano and a top prospect plus the Brewers pay all of Rolen's salary? No thanks.

If that was the deal, then I can't see the Brewers wanting it either. Everything we've seen from the Brewers perspective has suggested the Cards would be eating a significant part of the salary. If they aren't, then lets move on.

Missing out on Rolen wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, obviously - he has fair sized warts.

But it definitely raised the bar on my expectations for our 3B/LF acquisition.

Agreed. If the Cubs are really getting Teahen, maybe that gives us an opening to take a run at Fukudome.

Counsell playing is more like having another pitcher in the order. He's not a threat no matter where he hits.

I'm amazed that nobody sees the benefits of balancing off the order with some lefthanded bats. Jenkins was far from perfect but he did provide a threat from the left side other than Fielder when he was in the lineup. So did Estrada to some extent and he's gone too remember. And the fact remains that most of the top pitchers in the division are righthanded.

Gross would indeed be an option. But you're not going to sit Braun or Hart too often for Gross. That leaves only Hall. But once you insert Gross in the lineup, your 2 lefthanded bench bats are Gwynn (assuming he makes the roster) and the aforementioned Counsell, neither of whom can get a big blow with one swing.

How does a deal cool off because of previously known knowledge? Yes, STL and MIL are in the same division. That will not likely change anytime soon. Holding out for more, or waiting for another deal to come to fruition?

If the deal falls through. Oh, well. Nothing that at first glance will put the brewers over the hump, IMO. He'd probably spend more time on the DL than Sheets.

Brian,

Have you ever not liked a trade Melvin made? Everyone on here seems to be a Melvin cheerleader. When did he get the Brewers in the playoffs?

- Didn't like the Linebrink trade

- Was luke-warm on the Davis/Estrada trade

- Was luke-warm on the Lee to Rangers trade

When did he get the Brewers in the playoffs? He inherited a team that was decimated. His highest payroll has been 71M (lower half of the league). Seriously, it's like you're expecting some sort of magician who can fleece every other team and spin crap into gold. I honestly think there's a segment of people out there who always think the grass must be greener, because we missed the playoffs.

Don't you guys ever watch the Cardinals? Rolen often grimaces in pain when he swings and misses.

He recently went under the knife to clean out the scar tissue in his shoulder. Generally, people have surgeries in order to reduce pain. At least this is how medicine is practiced in my neck of the wooks.

I never got the whole "we're trading in the same division, so we can't do it" thing. So what? You're getting what you need, and another team's getting what they need. If you don't feel that team's need, someone else probably will... Might as well take advantage of it if you can.

Are GM's afraid that their fans will be so psychologically damaged if Rolen goes deep off them that it will make them stop buying tickets?

balancing the order with lefty bats is great, if there are lefty bats available to trade for / sign that are good.

who do you propose the Brewers acquiring that hits left-handed and fills a roster hole on the team as currently constructed? If via trade, who gets dealt, and if via free agency, what's the contract worth?

Archived