Brewer Fanatic

Rolen Trade, Latest: Glaus/Rolen swap (reply #795)

No, it wasn't supposed to be blue. I doubt anybody here would state the brewers were successful last year because of their pitching or defense.

So based on the stats presented above, it appears to me since the brewers' OBP was rather low compared to the rest of MLB, that perhaps OBP doesn't have as much corelation to winning games as people think it does. Perhaps timely and clutch hitting and scrappiness are more valuable than OBP. perhaps all the theories on OBP and VORP and the rest of the modern stats are just an over analysis of the obvious. You win by playing good fundemental baseball and not making mistakes at crucial times.

All the stats say the Ravens should have beat the Pats. But they didn't. perhaps stats are overglorified.

and with that said, like the guy who mentioned branyon's name, I think I'll duck fast. Incoming coming.

• Replies 818
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just dont see this trade Happening... According to mlb trade rumors there are 4 teams interested in Rolen... and the Cards will do what they can to NOT trade him to a NL central team(Giants, Rangers, Brewers...and??) I cant remember the last team, but if the Giants offered Noah Lowery..thats better than the Brewers offer.

I think it would great to get him BUT I also think Braun will improve quite a bit over the off season in fielding....

Rolen can hold the Cardinals hostage. According to Buster Olney on the D-List today on ESPN 1510 in Milwaukee he holds a FULL no trade clause blocking ANY trade if he so chooses. He has told Cardinals management that Milwaukee is at the top of his wish list.

Really wow I knew about the full no trade clause but I figured he would waive it for most teams that are interested...it is nice to hear he WANTS to come here

Remember though that Rolen has a full no trade clause. If it is that important that he stay in the Midwest., he very well could envoke that clause for a deal with the Giants or the Rangers. Also some have stated he is good friends with Soup. When you have a full no trade clause it does give you some leverage. EDIT Dang you kids are quicker than I.

According to mlb trade rumors there are 4 teams interested in Rolen... and the Cards will do what they can to NOT trade him to a NL central team(Giants, Rangers, Brewers...and??) I cant remember the last team, but if the Giants offered Noah Lowery..thats better than the Brewers offer.

But Rolen would like to stay in the midwest and he has a no trade clause. And Lowry sucks, his 1:1 K/BB ratio is well, just bad.

I think it would great to get him BUT I also think Braun will improve quite a bit over the off season in fielding....

What makes you think that? I mean he was the worst defender in baseball last year, he's going to have to take about 10,000 ground balls to just become bad.

I would love to get Rolen and Wayne Franklin

You take that last name back right now. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

it would appear to me that the brewers' success last year was not due to their OBP. A low OBP translated into a lot of wins. Throw out billy beane's book and the rest of the power ball theories. Go back to players winning on grit and scrappiness. perhaps OBP is thought of too highly and perhaps the stat we should really fall in love with is steals.

- Billy Beane did not write the book you refer to

- power ball is a lottery. "money ball" is what I believe you're referring to.

Regardless, OPS correlates most closely to runs scored. This is mathematically sound. If by "grit and scrappiness" you mean defense, then yes, I think the Brewers have some serious work to do there.

He has told Cardinals management that Milwaukee is at the top of his wish list.

I am sorry, but after so many years of the Brewers being a terrible franchise, I am still not used to hearing stuff like this.

Excuse me while I faint.

According to mlb trade rumors there are 4 teams interested in Rolen... and the Cards will do what they can to NOT trade him to a NL central team(Giants, Rangers, Brewers...and??) I cant remember the last team, but if the Giants offered Noah Lowery..thats better than the Brewers offer.

But Rolen would like to stay in the midwest and he has a no trade clause. And Lowry sucks, his 1:1 K/BB ratio is well, just bad.

What makes you think that? I mean he was the worst defender in baseball last year, he's going to have to take about 10,000 ground balls to just become bad.

I would love to get Rolen and Wayne Franklin

You take that last name back right now. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Wayne...Ryan.. Ben... Its still Franklin and while I am sure Ryan is who I meant... the other 2(wayne and Ben) probably could help the BP out as well...lol

No, it wasn't supposed to be blue. I doubt anybody here would state the brewers were successful last year because of their pitching or defense.

So based on the stats presented above, it appears to me since the brewers' OBP was rather low compared to the rest of MLB, that perhaps OBP doesn't have as much corelation to winning games as people think it does. Perhaps timely and clutch hitting and scrappiness are more valuable than OBP. perhaps all the theories on OBP and VORP and the rest of the modern stats are just an over analysis of the obvious. You win by playing good fundemental baseball and not making mistakes at crucial times.

All the stats say the Ravens should have beat the Pats. But they didn't. perhaps stats are overglorified.

and with that said, like the guy who mentioned branyon's name, I think I'll duck fast. Incoming coming.

I'm not going to get into a bit debate. But OBP is both logically and statistically important. Teams can score runs in spite of OBP by doing other things really well, like hitting home runs. Success with a weakness says little about the importance of that weakness unless its quantified, especially when looking at just one sample. There are countless other examples proving the importance of OBP.

trwi7 wrote:

And what makes you so sure that he can't improve on his defense..... trwi it seems we have this argument on every board..lol.. But the fact remains you can learn to play better Defense....Weeks made great improvements last year, Hell look at how far A-ram has come when he first entered the league... So in taking those ground balls and concentrating on the throws over to first and not Rushing them... what makes you think HE CANT

What I don't get is why people were willing to be so patient with Weeks, but aren't willing to give Braun more time to improve his defense?

I still think moving Braun to LF is a good idea, though, if a better defensive 3B is acquired.

The thing is in 2005 when Weeks was called up we weren't expected to compete. We're in a different situation now.

And what makes you so sure that he can't improve on his defense..... trwi it seems we have this argument on every board..lol.. But the fact remains you can learn to play better Defense....Weeks made great improvements last year, Hell look at how far A-ram has come when he first entered the league... So in taking those ground balls and concentrating on the throws over to first and not Rushing them... what makes you think HE CANT

I didn't say he can't but if he's going to improve like Weeks did (Weeks is still a bad defender) then Braun would still be one of, if not the worst defender in the big leagues.

You guys will all be singing a different tune as Rolen visits the DL and Craig Counsell starts 50 games at 3B. Medical records? Yeah. Gord Ash thought he had medical information when he traded for Mike Sirotka while Blue Jay GM and it turned out Sirotka would never pitch again in the major leagues.

In that lineup of all right handers and Prince Fielder, watch while Fielder's HR totals drop to around 30.

Archived