Brewer Fanatic

Rolen Trade, Latest: Glaus/Rolen swap (reply #795)

You have to believe the Brewers are waiting to announce the Riske deal to see if they can make a two for one or three for two trade to bring Rolen to Milwaukee. This deal has already received a lot of attention, and even made a lot of sense before it did.

It wouldn't surprise me if Melvin is playing angles like Joe Crede as posturing, while the Cardinals are likely playing up rumors of other teams interested in Rolen to help their own negotiating power.

I've brought up before that the Brewers will need to take some calculated risks if they are serious about the playoffs next season, and Rolen is a prime example of that. If his shoulder is still a big concern, clearly that's too big of a risk, but to me the money isn't even as big of an issue as it seems to be for some/most.

• Replies 818
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think its a mistake to look at 2004 and compare it to 2006 and worry about the regression. Look at Rolen's career. 2004 was his career year--highest career OBP, highest career SLG, most homers, finished 4th in MVP vote. Sure, his 2006 season wasn't as good, but neither was 2001, 2000, 1999 or any other year when he was in his mid-20s. If he can replicate his 2006 offensive season with gold glove defense at 3rd base, I'd have done the trade yesterday.

I understand your reservations about Rolen's injuries and the size of his contract, but what do you think Cappy is worth? I think his half-season of excellent pitching led some to believe that he's a number two or three pitcher, and I definitely don't think that's the case.

This isn't even really about Cappy, though. You could plug & play any similar name (Vargas, Bush, Mench) with somewhat minimal value, and the salary/talent that we would give up would be pretty negligable. It's all about who wants to assume the risk of Rolen's contract.

Would Rolen even approve a deal to the Giants?

He supposedly wants to play for a midwestern team. (I doubt Texas would fit the bill either)

The Brewers and Cardinals can negotiate players and money all they want. But the truth is La Russa needs Rolen out of town. And Rolen holds all of the cards in determining his destination. He can veto any trade. I think that plays a large role in the likelihood of him ending up a Brewer.

And he is good friends with the Soup Man, so we got that going for us....which is nice. And my question is what would Scott Rolen be worth on the open market this year? I don't find it that hard to believe that someone of his ilk, even with the injury history, could probably procure a deal similar to what he is signed for. But I would greatly appreciate any financial help possible from the beer makers to the east.

I've been going back and forth on this so long I just wish we would know either way cause this is driving me nuts. I keep thinking of the name "Scott Rolen" and I can't help but be excited. His injury problems scare the heck out of me. I wasn't aware of the back issues.

Just look at 2007 alone:

Scott Rolen

At the same time, I'm not too worried if his offensive numbers are a little down. His defense is why I would want him. I would rather take on more money than give up more talent. Mostly because it's not my money. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/tongue.gif

I really still think Braun can be a decent 3rd basemen but I'm not sure we all have the patience (also see Turnbow, Derrick) to wait him out.

PS: I'm going to bed now. If anything happens overnight, someone PM me and wake me.

What happens in 2009/2010 if we get Rolen? Where does LaPorta go? Is this assuming too much (LaPorta's progression and Rolen's health)?

SS: Hardy/Hall

3B: Rolen

LF: LaPorta

CF: Hart

RF: Braun

Either trade one of Hardy or Hall or use Hall in the super sub role?

What happens in 2009/2010 if we get Rolen? Where does LaPorta go? Is this assuming too much (LaPorta's progression and Rolen's health)?

SS: Hardy/Hall

3B: Rolen

LF: LaPorta

CF: Hart

RF: Braun

Either trade one of Hardy or Hall or use Hall in the super sub role?

LaPorta should have absolutely no effect on the moves we do to make the team better now. I'm guessing maybe they slow his progression and then when Rolen's contract runs out move Hall to 3rd, Braun to RF, Hart to CF and LaPorta to LF assuming he pans out.

This "problem" worked out when we had Overbay and Prince. DM will make something awesome happen. (PS Taubenheim just got DFA'd last week)

I would love a trade for Rolen. I think he would be a great addition to the clubhouse and the lineup. He is definitely a midwest type of guy, my unlce has helped him with a camp for kids in Indiana. Out of all the athletes my uncle has worked with, he said Rolen is as nice as they come and is a great guy.

A high-ranking club source also said the Cardinals are "highly flexible" when discussing how much of Rolen's remaining contract the Cardinals will assume.

Cardinals general manager John Mozeliak has met twice with the Milwaukee Brewers since arriving Sunday night at baseball's winter meetings and plans to extend discussions today.

Prospective trade partners have been told they may speak directly to Cardinals medical supervisor Dr. George Paletta and Cincinnati orthopedic surgeon Dr. Timothy Kremchek, who performed reconstructive surgery on Rolen's left shoulder in August 2005 and a clean-up procedure last Sept. 11.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/cardinals/story/967BF51FB26BBBB9862573A7001813C4?OpenDocument

I don't want to go to school or work tommorrow so I can just sit in front of my computer hoping and waiting for a Scott Rolen trade. Or for that matter a Benny Sheets trade. Or a Billy Hall trade. Argh to much to think about.

That being said Rolen would be an amazing aquisition, as long as the Brewers are relatively confident that he is healthy. If the Cardinals are willing to pick up some of his salary great, if not, that just means he is going to cost much less to aquire. Looking at what Mike Lowell's contract is the remaining money left on Rolens deal is quite reasonable.

I want Rolen now!

A high-ranking club source also said the Cardinals are "highly flexible" when discussing how much of Rolen's remaining contract the Cardinals will assume.

Yeeeee-haaa! -- Let's git us sum Rolen

I'm wondering about the 2-for-3 (or 2-for-1) rumors floated. If all of a sudden the Cards will happily negotiate the cost of Rolen's contract, it would appear logical that there's something about a possible deal in which they have interest.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Let's play Doug Melvin here in regards to Rolen

Going on say the assumption that Capuano/Mench/Gwynn or some other prospect would net Rolen, but money was the sticking point. What is the least amount of cash you'd be comfortable with the Cards accepting to pick up from the 38 million Rolen is due before it could become a deal breaker for you?

I'd try to get them to pick up more, but 8 million would be about enough to get me to make the deal if the Cards simply refused to budge and eat any more money than that.

Getting them to eat 10 would be great and 12 would be oustanding, i can't imagine they'd go further.

Archived