Brewer Fanatic

Rolen Trade, Latest: Glaus/Rolen swap (reply #795)

From an ESPN Blog . . .

7:12 p.m., from Jerry Crasnick

Chris Capuano-for-Scott Rolen trade talk is alive and well at the Opryland Hotel. But the Brewers are wary of Rolen's medical reports, and they would have to pick up a significant chunk of the $36 million left on Rolen's contract over the next three years. Given the hard feelings that exist between Rolen and St. Louis manager Tony La Russa, Rolen probably wouldn't be averse to waiving his no-trade clause. "It hasn't gotten any better," one person with the Cardinals said of the Rolen-La Russa dynamic.

• Replies 818
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Argh AJAY, you barely beat me to the scoop from the MJS

IMHO, Melvin saying they are NOT close makes me optimistic that they are in fact close on a deal. While I'm very unattached to Billy Hall, i would like to see something else going back if he goes to STL.

Rolen (STL pays $11 of $38M), Duncan, and Reyes

-for-

Cappy, Hall (they can have Shrek or TGJ as throw ins if they'd like)

BTW- Cards fans are delusional if they think Ben Sheets is anywhere in this discussion.

If the Brewers actually have Rolen's medical reports, then they might be further along in trade talks then Melvin has hinted at. Of course, maybe he meant medical history. However, if the Brewers do have a copy of his medical reports and are wary of them, I don't think I would take that kind of risk for that amount of money. Whether or not the trade occurs might just come down to how those medical reports look.

Do not trade Hall and Capuano to the Cardinals. That would be awful. If they both have "bounce" back years, this deal is bad for the Brewers in 2008. I don't mind giving up something to get something (Capuano hopefully and another piece or two), but not both.

If Melvin goes through with deal for Rolen that includes Hall, I want to be the first on record saying it is the biggest mistake of Melvin's tenure as GM and might be the beginning of the end of Melvin as Brewer GM.

This is not second guessing, this is first guessing.

hmm...I keep thinking that Rolen would be a good addition. A veteran with a winning history who will be in the lineup daily (it is hoped). But if he really is a stinker in the clubhouse, that "chemistry" benefit is nonexistent. So...I don't want Rolen unless the brewers underpay. I don't think Capuano straight up is underpaying.

hmm...I keep thinking that Rolen would be a good addition. A veteran with a winning history who will be in the lineup daily (it is hoped). But if he really is a stinker in the clubhouse, that "chemistry" benefit is nonexistent. So...I don't want Rolen unless the brewers underpay. I don't think Capuano straight up is underpaying.

Depends if it's good Cappy or bad Cappy..... and good Rolen or bad Rolen. Assuming they can make the money work, it seems like a reasonable swap (i.e. certain amount of risk being assumed by both clubs).

Strengths:

1. Instant upgrade on defense in a variety of ways

2. Adds another offensive threat to the lineup

3. Has postseason experience

4. Buying Low

5. Perhaps avoid selling Cappy even lower if he doesn't rebound

6. Trading a guy who might not even crack our rotation for a defensive machine and possible above average offensive third basemen

Weaknesses:

1. Rolen's injury history

2. Money

3. Selling low on Cappy and to a division team

4. Possible clubhouse issue with Rolen?

To me the strengths far outweigh the weaknesses as long as he passes a physical and as long as Doub and Mark feel confident that even with Scott's salary that they can make competitive offers to our young players in the near future. Considering the Brewer's revenue stream is growing bigger by the second I would feel pretty confident that the Brewers will be able to afford most of our young guys even though the likelihood of retaining Prince is slim and none, regardless of if we trade of Rolen or not

All I can say is get it done. If you are worried about an injury risk Braun can still slide back once or twice a week and give Rolen a break. Then in the later innings you can slide Braun back to the outfield instead of out of the game and bring Rolen in defensively and somewhat limit his at bats and keep him well rested.

As a Brewers fan who grew up in the same town as Scott Rolen, I say bring it on! This is the only way I'd ever drop the $250 for an authentic jersey, that's for sure. As for the character issues, he is among the nicest guys I have ever met, and I can't imagine any reasonable person having a problem with him. I'm bringing him a tennis ball to sign when I get up to Miller Park next year.

Apparently 4 teams have contacted the Cards about Rolen with the Giants and Rangers possibly being two of the other teams. I know their was the Blalock rumor and I am not sure who from the Giants would be on the block but it could be someone like Noah Lowry perhaps. No indication on the 4th team

The more I think about it and look at stats the less impressed I am by this unless the Cardinals pay a decent portion of his salary. I'd be all for it if we can get the 2004 Rolen - 34 HRs, 124 RBIs, .314 BA, and .409 OBP. In more ABs in 2006 Rolen had - 22 HRs, 95 RBIs, .296 BA, and .369 OBP. His BA dropped only .018, but his OBP dropped .040. That is not something I like if we pay all of his salary. His numbers were worse in 2007, but he was hurt. I don't like this deal at all if we pay for ALL of his salary and sell low on Capuano to a division rival.

Archived