Brewer Fanatic

Radio Rumor about a 4 Way Trade Potentially Set in Place

TheBrewer

Heard a spiff on the radio while in southern illonois earlier today.. I didnt see the station because at that time i was just browsing and i heard it.. basically that the Brewers, Twins, Yankees and Rays were talking about a swap. Something along the lines of Sheets and Hall to Twins because the Twins feel they would be able to extend his contract (maybe pending the trade he extends??), and then Santana to the Yankees, Kennedy from the Yankees to the Twins, the Yankees would send prospects Joba Chamberlain Philip Hughes to the Devil Rays and the Rays would send Crawford or Upton to Milwaukee and the Twins would send Jesse Crain to MIL.. I missed the first half of it but it went something like that, and the guy at the end said literally "The negotaitions have been confirmed by an executive that is close with the situations from the a front office" "The trade is set in place, the only thing hindering it right now is some cash considerations that will have to be approved by the commisionser office, as well as which player TB trades to the Brewers and some smaller things."

I played it out and put it down below this to see what it would like.

Brewers Get:

Carl Crawford or Upton, Jesse Crain

Brewers Send:

Ben Sheets, Billy Hall

Twins Get:

Ben Sheets (contignent on him extending his contract with the Twins)

Billy Hall

Kennedy from NY

Twins Send:

Johana Santana, Jesse Crain

D-Rays Get:

Philip Hughes

Joba Chamberlain

D-Rays Send:

Carl Crawford /BJ Upton

Yankees Get:

Johan Sanatana

Yankees Send:

Joba Chamberlain

Philip Hughes

Kennedy

I think it makes perfect sense for all the teams for the most part. My only question is it's pretty much Santana for Kennedy, Chamberlain and Hughes. If thats true, are the Yankees planning on upping the contract for Santana, like same with Sheets, if he goes and they waive their clauses they want an extension. I don't know how legit this rumor is, but it makes alot of sense. And I know that the Yanks said they wouldnt' deal those guys unless it was Santana so... That would help us with Crain in our Bullpen so that would make sense. My only question that I've had the whole time with the rumors is if the Brewers trade Hall and acquire Crawford/Upton etc, we minus one OF and add another, we still would potentialy need another guy unless they think Gwynn and or the others could platoon etc. It's a big trade but I think it makes sense for the clubs if it's true.

What do you guys think? You think its fair, legit etc? or just some guy who wants to create waives.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I doubt this is true because the Yankees have balked at trading any of the "Big 3" and this one has them trading all 3 of them.

Not sure how I feel about this trade. I love Upton's game and he is much more valuable than Hall but Sheets and Crain, not sure about that. Crain missed almost all of last year with a torn rotator cuff and torn labrum but when healthy he's a good reliever.

I doubt this ever happens. We'd probably need to trade for another starting pitcher (maybe Garland) if true.

1. Even for a great pitcher like Santana, i just can't see them trading all three of their big pitching prospects.

2. We'd be trading Sheets and Hall for the most part for Crawford or Upton, that's a huge price tag. Upton would have more upside i think and would be very cheap so it would free money to sign maybe Cordero or a starter in some acquisition. That's just a bigger price tag on our end for my liking.

I have a hard time seeing this really go down, just so many big time players, young talent involved, and big money contract issues to believe this would actually happen.

Why would the Yankees do this? After years of complete stupidity they've finally figured out that burnt out old pitchers do not a championship make.

From the Brewer perspective we're trading two part time players for a young stud. I'd do that!

If a front office executive leaked this potential trade, why is this guy in Southern Illinois the only person that heard of the deal? If it was a national radio station that rumor would be floating all over the place by now.

I agree that the Yankees are incredibly unlikely to deal all three of their young promising pitchers. Even two might be a stretch. And if the Twins were trading Santana to the Yankees, why wouldn't they just take the three young arms and not even get Milwaukee and TB involved? Considering that the Twins reportedly are looking for young hitters, I would think if Upton is involved they may prefer him over Sheets.

The proposal doesn't sound unfair, at least not too much, but it does sound as though someone is trying to draw attention to themselves.

If they are offering Upton instead of Crawford, then I definitely do this. Upton is a big time talent, and will be cheaper and will provide much better production than Hall or Crawford. Sign me up for that right now. He had a .380 OBP last year. Having him and Rickie back to back at the top of the lineup would be scary. And we'd have him for 4? years. Nice.

4-team trades have happened only a few times in baseball history, with the most recent being the trade that sent Garciaparra to the Cubs. They're usually dreamed up by fans or other people who like to propagate rumors.

If there were that many teams involved in the deal, with so many big names involved, there would certainly be a lot more smoke around this rumor than some podunk radio station near the hashbrown/grits line.

If they are offering Upton instead of Crawford, then I definitely do this. Upton is a big time talent, and will be cheaper and will provide much better production than Hall or Crawford. Sign me up for that right now. He had a .380 OBP last year. Having him and Rickie back to back at the top of the lineup would be scary. And we'd have him for 4? years. Nice.

I agree - I'd get MUCH more excited about Upton than Crawford if this is acutally legit (which I doubt, by the way).

I just got from a real good source of the 8 teams that Ben Sheets has in his contract to be traded to they are:

1. Atlanta Braves

2. New York Yankees

3. New York Mets

4. Arizona Diamandbacks

5. San Diego Padres

6. San Francisco Giants

7. Los Angeles Dodgers

8. Los Angeles Angels of Anahiem

No teams from the north except NY. I'd prefer to send him to an American League team so I didn't have to face him multiple times a year but from that list only the Yankees, Rangers, and Angels are the only two teams.

Since the team acquiring Sheets would probably want to work out an extension with him anyway, I don't think the limited no-trade will be an issue. If a team not on the list wanted him, he'd probably want cash to agree to the deal anyway, which is no different than a team wanting to get him signed, it would all have to be factored into his new contract.

If the Brewers got Wheeler in the deal with Crawford and Crain, I think you'd have to do it.

Crawford is a special talent. Bill Hall isnt in the same class.

Bill Hall and Carl Crawford are two different players. What you gain in Crawfords speed you lose in Halls power

The biggest red flag to me in this whole deal is Upton's attitude problem, was it just a minor issue or would it flare up again.

Upton thinks he is bigger than the game, his brother does too, they both think their poop doesn't stink. So I think that is an attitude problem, but I think Braun has the same issue.

Hey, I'll take a whole team of guys with "attitude problems" if they put up numbers like Ryan did last year.

While in the other thread people were saying that it would've been Sheets and Cappy to get Crawford, and our two going to NY. So with this, obviously to get Crawford or Upton, it can't be Sheets alone, so apparently were adding in Hall, but then besides Upton/Crawford were also getting Jesse Crain. While ya Crain was out last season he's still young I belive and before that he was usually electric.

Archived