Brewer Fanatic

Ho Hum, another conspiracy, Ned Yost NOT named manager of the year -- Bob Melvin wins

Fatter than Joey
I am not supporting all of those decisions by Yost, but you are dead wrong if you think a new manager is just magically gonna come in and make all the right decisions!

Hmm... Guy On Couch is making a pretty strong case for the position, though. In a lot of respects, he might just be what we need:

1. He's not Ned Yost.

2. With Ted Simmons on the bench, Guy On Couch can take an extended nap and just let Simmons' brilliant baseball mind handle all the decision-making.

3. He's not Ned Yost.

4. We'll have someone calling the shots that isn't going to be out-managed all the time. Nevermind that he's the bench coach; Guy On Couch will turn the team over to Simba... when he wakes up.

I am not supporting all of those decisions by Yost, but you are dead wrong if you think a new manager is just magically gonna come in and make all the right decisions!

I don't think that anyone is expecting that, everyone makes mistakes, even if Tom Kelly was managing the team, there would still be mistakes, or La Russa, or whoever you think a good manager is. They would make mistakes because they are human. But that is not the point, In baseball, or football, or hockey, you can't control everything, there are times where you will run into Justin Verlander throwing a no-hitter, or shoot the puck 100 times and can't get a shot through Patrick Roy, or maybe Adrian Peterson can't be stopped. That is why you have to control what you can. A manager needs to put his players in the best position to succeed, there are many reasons or examples that can be given as to how Yost DID NOT do this.

-Hitting Pujols to put runners on base in a situation where you can't allow anymore runs, and then bringing in Turnbow, when we know, and he should know that he struggles with runners on base. It was wrong of him to hit Pujols, but it is even more wrong to put a guy on base to bring in Turnbow, this would be an example of not putting your players in the best situation to succeed.

-Letting Kevin Mench bat while the bases are loaded in the ninth was another example. Mench does not hit well against right handed pitchers, by letting Mench hit, you are not putting your team in a good situation, because other than Matt Wise, he is the worst hitter against right handers.

I could name a handful of examples, but there isn't really a point to it. Bottom line, some of us like Yost, some of us hate Yost, some of us don't care.

It is unrealistic to say that because of Yost we lost 10+ games. However, it is realistic to say that Yost costed games. I used to support Yost, but I no longer can, that being said all of us have to be fair in criticism. Nothing ticks me off more than when Yost makes a good move and no one says anything, but he makes a questionable move and he is verbally murdered. I am also getting sick and tired of people telling the people that don't like Yost that they don't know baseball. The d-list says it all the time on 1510, and it happens on here a lot. Just because I don't like Yost, doesn't mean that I am a moron. If I decide that I don't like Prince Fielder because he runs his mouth too much, am I than a moron? No, it is an opinion.

I just wish that this board could be fair from both sides, the haters need to admit that he has done some things right, and the lovers need to admit that he has done some things wrong. It is starting to get uncivilized.

just my two cents...

Totally agreed BHF. My biggest beef is not that people want Yost fired, but the fact that the comments that they say about him and his managing are inhumane and stupid. Yost, does make wrong decisions, but the decisions he makes are made by quite a few managers in the league. Today, whether you like it or not Ned Yost is our manager, and I believe he should be respected as such.

his managing are inhumane and stupid.

I agree 100%.

I know we aren't suposed to have one line posts, but that is hilarious FTJhttp://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gifhttp://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gifhttp://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif

Today, whether you like it or not Ned Yost is our manager, and I believe he should be respected as such.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What does this mean? Is Yost our superior and beyond reproach?

I-Letting Kevin Mench bat while the bases are loaded in the ninth was another example. Mench does not hit well against right handed pitchers, by letting Mench hit, you are not putting your team in a good situation, because other than Matt Wise, he is the worst hitter against right handers.
Actually Matt Wise has a pretty good career batting average against righties.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

So Brewer's general manager Bob Melvin won the NL Manager of the year?

This made me laugh. They always seem to confuse Bob and Doug. Maybe if we gave them nicknames, we already know Doug's would be "And That"http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

What does this mean? Is Yost our superior and beyond reproach?
No, but comments like those below are what angers me. They are unproductive and offer no insight at all. Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I think people deserve to be treated like human beings! If you don't like Yost just say you don't like Yost. There is no reason to go the extra mile. Trust me we get it!

Fatter than Joey wrote:

Yost should never have batted him 5th either like he did for half the year especially if he knew he was hurting.

I keep thinking that Yost has bone-spurs in his head. He should get a MRI for that.

OR

"Yost Found Dead After Waking Guy on the Couch"

They are unproductive and offer no insight at all. Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I think people deserve to be treated like human beings!

I'm sorry -- But bone-spurs in Yost's head, would explain a lot -- and if they were found and removed, I would be optimistic about Yost managing

taking a turn for the better.

All I am saying, is once you fire up the MRI machine to look for bone-spurs, you may as well run a bunch of people through it.

Seriously though -- I don't think you want Yost treated like a human being -- I think you want him treated like a sacred cow.

I am a human being. I have a job like Yost -- I get criticized by people below me, people above me, by my children, and by my

parents. Human beings get hired, they get fired, they get thrown under the bus. Human beings get criticized a lot.

I think his point is the piling on is not needed. This thread reminds me of middle school kids picking on a fat kid or a nerd. It makes it very hard to take anything else you say serious when such a high ratio of your post are piling on Ned. I've grown very disappointed with the quality of post on this site over the past year or so.

It makes it very hard to take anything else you say serious when such a high ratio of your post are piling on Ned

I really wasn't going for serious when I mentioned bone-spurs in the head

I am totally serious about Guy on the Couch however.

Guy On Couch is making a pretty strong case for the position

Yeah -- I think you missed 2 points though Don.

5. Guy On Couch knows math is never on his side.

6. Guy On Couch is not concerned about how Greg Aquino fields his position.

This thread reminds me of middle school kids picking on a fat kid or a nerd.

So Ned is now a fat kid and/or nerd -- That's just not very nice.

I tend to agree that some posts are maybe pushed a little too far. We all get criticized at any job (bad or good) and we all have families that may criticize. I don't think most of us get criticized the way Yost has been treated. I think it's ran its course.

Yost is a manager in the bigs. I'd take that job in a heart beat and he's put in enough time to get there. I'm not a Yost guy at all and I think he cost us a lot of games, but I'm not going to personally attack him. I think personally attacking a player or coach takes away a lot of credibility or insight away from other posts.

I think it's ok to point out where Yost has flaws and how a new manager would change that, but the middle school humor is doing nothing to improve the discussion here.

I don't think most of us get criticized the way Yost has been treated.

Quite frankly I'd been fired a long time ago if I produced the results Ned has.

I think it's ran its course.

I agree, and I think rather than 100s of more posts that articulate the pros and cons of firing Yost --

this thread evolved into Guy On Couch. I find it somewhat refreshing.

I think personally attacking a player or coach takes away a lot of credibility or insight away from other posts.

My credibility trolley left the station a long time ago. I don't take myself that seriously to consider my credibility

as something that substantial on this board. I don't pretend to be an expert on things other than my opinions.

I generally hope to make a good effort to make a post worth reading and I think most people here can discern when

someone is being silly.

but the middle school humor is doing nothing to improve the discussion here.

I think the thing that is holding back the discussion -- is that Ned Yost hasn't done anything in the past

month -- If Ned Yost was blowing games in November -- I am sure we would be addressing that. However

in the meantime we interpreted Ned's "couch quote" in a whole new fashion that you are not going

to see anywhere else on the internet -- and if it is not your thing -- then skip it.

As far as middle school humor -- I still maintain that there is nothing funnier than the unstaged nut shot.

This thread is a good example of why myself, and a few others, have reduced/eliminated our participation in these forums. Everyone having different opinions and collectively discussing baseball issues is a good thing. However, the same vocal minority constantly repeating the same mindless dribble is rather annoying.

Archived