Brewer Fanatic

Brewers Sign Randy Choate; 40-Man Roster Now At 35

Crew2323
Looks like the usual sign a bunch of crap throw it agianst the wall and see what sticks strategy to me. I don't mind it but this should in no way be the only strategy used to shore up the bullpen. In years past when the Brewers were not going anywhere I was all for that strategy alone. I didn't think it made sense to spend on relief help when the rest of the team wasn't going to make relief help useful. Now things are differant. We need to sign/trade for a couple proven hig level relievers to go along with mining for nuggets.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looks like the usual sign a bunch of crap throw it agianst the wall and see what sticks strategy to me.
I personally think this is the best way to build a bullpen, regardless of the situation.

Shouse was probably our best reliever last year. We got him in a very similar manner.

Looking at the article today in the JS, it looks as thought Choate might just be a younger version of Shouse. And frankly, with how Shouse wore down at the end of last year, it would be nice to have a younger version to potentially replace him.

Lefty with a tricky side-arm delivery has plenty of uses.

I personally think this is the best way to build a bullpen, regardless of the situation.

It really depends on the level of risk the team can afford to take. I think next year's team should do all it can to eliminate some of the risks they have taken in the past. Simply put they cannot afford another bullpen meltdown. As we have seen bullpens can be built that way alone. Last year showed the risk that a team takes by relying too heavily on that strategy alone. If the team is willing to pay $10 million for an average starter they shouldn't be stupid enough to risk that money on a reliever incapable of holding that $10 million pitchers lead.

I believe it should be part of the strategy but if the team wants to make sure their season isn't in the same predicament as last year they need to do something differant than last year.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Shouse was acquired in trade for non-roster player Enrique Cruz.
I was aware of how Shouse was acquired - I just didn't remember the players name.

My point wasn't that Shouse was a pick-up like Choate. My point was that he was an older player who really cost us nothing (sorry Enrique) and had potential to help us.

No risk in trying.

Archived