Brewer Fanatic

Brewers Sign Randy Choate; 40-Man Roster Now At 35

Crew2323

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope this doesn't mean that the Brewers are planning to use Shouse against righties more often. I don't mind this signing as long as the terms are reasonable, but hopefully Doug goes out and gets one or two relievers that are good against both lefties and righties.

Edit: Good call on the name. I can already see multiple "Randy Choke" references in the 2008 Vent Thread if this signing doesn't go well.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Choate struck out six of the seven Brewers he faced on April 22, 2004 -- Doug remembers:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/MIL/MIL200404220.shtml

Mitch Stetter's chances to make the club out of spring training takes a dip -- if you're going to sign journeyman relievers, make them lefties -- no harm, no foul at this time.

I don't think "choke" was the word he was going for...

Yeah I am pretty sure you are right about that.

Davey Nelson will need to exercise a little more discretion when he mentions "pounds meat" when going through his keys to victory.

In 2007 Choate faced 3 batters -- all 3 got hits -- sounds like he will fit in well.

He had a decent year in the PCL, though. Nothing crazy good, but he's typically posted better FIPs than you'd expect from a guy whose WHIP hasn't been anything to write home about for years. If he can get lefties out, we can use him. Plus, he'll get to face a bunch of righties too! Yost bonus!
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Love the BBQ acronym.

I like Randy Choate. Over the past two seasons at AAA he's had a K/BB rate of over 4. Here's his 2007 splits:

IP AVG OBP SLG OPS BABIP WHIP W/9 K/9 HR/9
vLHB 22.3 .250 .290 .352 .643 .396 1.16 1.61 13.70 0.40
vRHB 37.7 .286 .343 .398 .740 .333 1.54 2.87 6.45 0.48 

This pickup along with the supposed interest in Mahay I think clearly indicates the team intends to have more than one lefty in the bullpen. It could be nearly an even split if Parra begins the season in the 'pen as well.

BBQ Lefty is classic. Choate's Toast could be his tagline when he gets roughed up.

Rotoworld's take:

http://www.rotoworld.com/Content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=MLB&id=3064

Brewers signed LHP Randy Choate to a one-year, $500,000 contract.

Maybe no one but us cares, but that Choate is getting a major league contract could qualify as the most stunning news of the offseason so far. The 32-year-old sidearming lefty has been available frequently enough through the years and seemingly was never pursued by the Brewers before. Choate has a 4.64 ERA and a 129/87 K/BB ratio in 165 innings as a major leaguer. He was up briefly with the Diamondbacks in June and gave up hits to all three batters he faced before being placed on waivers and going unclaimed. He'll battle Mitch Stetter for a bullpen job if the Brewers don't land Ron Mahay or another lefty reliever on their list.

BBQ Lefty is classic. Choate's Toast could be his tagline when he gets roughed up.

But "Choke" is so much faster. (And name-wise, if we sign David Riske I'll expect "Riske Business" instantly.)

And given the collective photoshopping skill on this site, I want to see some BBQ Lefty images, pronto!

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Archived