Brewer Fanatic

Herges, Hawkins, Mahay and maybe Riske

dpapo

I thought about putting this as a part of another thread, but there are enough names that I think it can be a thread of it's own. These are some of the bullpen pitchers that are on Melvin's list.

Here are the names

By Tom Haudricourt
Wednesday, Nov 14 2007, 08:57 AM

Among the many paragraphs trimmed by editors from my Ryan Braun story in the JS this morning was the final paragraph of the notes about free-agent relievers the Brewers are interested in.

That was unfortunate because that paragraph named some of the relievers the Brewers might target. So, I'll give you the names in this blog, where editors can't delete them.

Among those on general manager Doug Melvin's list of "eight or nine" relievers are Matt Herges, LaTroy Hawkins and Ron Mahay.

Herges and Hawkins pitched for the NL champion Colorado Rockies. Herges was particularly effective, going 5-1 with a 2.96 ERA in 35 relief appearances, and also was a stalwart in the post-season. Hawkins also had a solid year, posting a 3.42 ERA in 62 outings.

Mahay, a left-hander, began the year in Texas and finished it in Atlanta, as part of the Mark Teixeira trade. He was very impressive, going 3-0 with a 2.55 ERA in 58 appearances.

Of course, other teams will be bidding for these relievers as well. But, as he waits to see if closer Francisco Cordero accepts his offer, Melvin wants to be proactive in seeking other relief help. He hasn't put in a bid yet to retain free agent reliever Scott Linebrink but might decide to do so.

Another reliever who might peak Melvin's interest is David Riske. He had a big year for Kansas City, posting a 2.45 ERA in 65 appearances. Riske boosted his stock so much that he walked away from a sizable option for next season to become a free agent.

http://blogs.jsonline.com/brewers/archive/2007/11/14/here-are-the-names.aspx

To be fair, this strategy has worked for the Cubs. I know Marmol is big for them, but they bought up a pretty nice bullpen two (?) years back, and it's paid off pretty well for them. We'll likely be spending a lot more than they did.

Hawkins is a guy I'd seriously dig coming here. Especially since he won't cost Gagne money.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Obligatory cheat sheet:

3-Year Splits
Overall
[b]In House[/b]
<span style="font-weight: bold;">Player</span> <span style="font-weight: bold;">Age B/T ERA WHIP SO/9 BB/9 HR/9</span> <span style="font-weight: bold;">$$$</span>
RP Stetter, Mitch 27 L/L 3.60 0.80 7.2 3.6 0.0 $390K (5 IP)
RP Parra, Manny 25 L/L 3.76 1.41 8.9 4.1 0.3 $390K
RP Wise, Matt 32 R/R 3.77 1.23 7.3 3.1 0.9 ARB
RP Shouse, Brian 39 L/L 4.13 1.37 5.8 3.2 0.7 ARB
RP Turnbow, Derrick 30 R/R 4.27 1.35 10.2 5.1 0.8 $3.2M
RP McClung, Seth 27 L/R 6.30 1.66 6.5 5.4 1.4 ARB
RP Aquino, Greg 30 R/R 5.57 1.65 9.3 4.4 1.6 ARB

[b]Free Agents
[/b]<span style="font-weight: bold;">Player Age B/T ERA WHIP SO/9 BB/9 HR/9 $$$</span>
RP Linebrink, Scott 31 R/R 3.03 1.20 7.7 2.9 1.0 FA (A)
RP Riske, David 31 R/R 3.04 1.15 6.2 2.8 1.2 FA (B)
RP Percival, Troy 38 R/R 3.32 0.98 7.8 2.9 1.4 FA (B)
RP Francisco Cordero 33 R/R 3.38 1.26 10.8 3.5 0.7 FA (A)
RP Gagne, Eric 32 R/R 3.48 1.25 10.2 3.3 0.7 FA (B)
RP Vizcaino, Luis 33 R/R 3.89 1.39 7.6 4.3 0.9 FA (B)
RP Hawkins, LaTroy 35 R/R 3.92 1.38 5.2 2.9 0.9 FA
RP Mahay, Ron 37 L/L 4.00 1.47 7.9 4.6 1.1 FA
RP King, Ray 34 L/L 4.20 1.58 5.1 4.1 1.2 FA
RP Herges, Matt 38 L/R 4.42 1.47 4.5 3.3 0.9 FA
RP Dotel, Octavio 34 R/R 5.14 1.57 10.3 5.5 1.3 FA
RP Affeldt, Jeremy 29 L/L 5.20 1.56 5.8 5.1 0.8 FA

[b]Trade Candidates
[/b]<span style="font-weight: bold;">Player Age B/T ERA WHIP SO/9 BB/9 HR/9 $$$</span>
RP Cordero, Chad 26 R/R 2.79 1.15 7.8 2.7 1.2 ARB
RP Fuentes, Brian 32 L/L 3.13 1.18 9.8 3.7 0.9 ARB 

I really would like to have DM look to trade for Chad Cordero...he's the youngest out of the organization choice and he has had success in the past. Outside of him, Riske, Affeldt and resigning Linebrink would be my priorities. That would leave you with a bullpen of

Stetter

Shouse

McClung/Aquino (take your pick)

Riske/Affeldt (probably going to get one)

Linebrink (Setup guy)

Cha-Co (Closer)

Obviously some of the blanks would need to be filled in by one or two guys, but I think that's got more strength than last year's bullpen.

Turbow, Wise go away (trade, outright release, whatever) and Parra is your long man out of the pen or starter.

Here are the names
By Tom Haudricourt

Another reliever who might peak Melvin's interest is David Riske.

The phrase would actually be "pique Melvin's interest", but keep trying Tom....one of these days those English classes will pay off!

I got busted for the same thing... and majored in English

http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/embarassed.gif

Hawkins scares me. His strikeouts collapsed the last two years He went from 6.87 K/9 in 2005 to 4.03 in 2006 and 4.72 in 2007

What I see on him in '07 is 5.0, but a decline to be sure. Could that have played a role in the FIP-xFIP differential?

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I agree about Arizona's pen and would be happy to trade for Pena or Cruz, if Pena is not available.

Among the free agent relievers, I am not big on the idea of overpaying for anyone in this group. If I had to welcome any of them to the Brewers my order of preference would probably be Gagne, Coco, Dotel, Linebrink, Affeldt, and Mahay. If none of them sign, then I would explore a trade or minor league free agents. Not that I do not like some of the free agents, in particular I like Riske, but prefer to see the Brewers add a guy with a power arm, closer experience, or a good lefty.

No thanks for Herges or Hawkins for me. The numbers and age factors just aren't very appealing. I would prefer the Brewers re-sign Linebrink and go after Riske. Percival would be an interesting option as well, but I would prefer to go with the younger arms that are available.

I'd love to see one of either Chad Cordero (Jon Rauch and Luis Ayala wouldn't be bad either from Washington) or Brian Fuentes via trade.

4 RPs are better than one. Id rather add some established arms to help us get to the 9th inning than spend that money on COCO who can save the game for us in the 9th.

I think there are other guys on this roster who have ice water in their vains and thrive in tough situations. I stand by my feeling that Vargas would make an all star closer.

I am not sure the mention of McLung, Turnbow, and Aquino was made to suggest that power arms are inconsistent or suggest that there are power arms already in place. Personally I am not big on signing any of the free agents, but if they do I would rather gamble on a power arm just as McLung and Turnbow are power arms or sign a guy like Dotel/Gagne with more late inning experience with some success. Aquino and McLung closing for a couple months of their careers is not the experience I am talking about, they do have the power type arms I want, moreso McLung than Aquino.

I would really like to see a guy like Kenny Rogers signed to a one or two year deal, then trade Sheets to the Dodgers in a deal that would net Ethier and Broxton. The other guy that I mentioned who I would prefer to see is Pena. I know a trade would require giving something up versus just giving up some money and draft picks, but the trade candidates are more appealing talent-wise as far as I'm concerned.

I like the idea of Melvin actively pursuing bullpen help through free agency before the start of the winter meetings. If they can sign 2 or 3 pitchers for the bullpen, they can then concentrate on using their surplus of starters to try to obtain a leftfielder or help in another area of the team. Possible trade for a closer, if they cannot sign Cordero or one of the other potential free agent closers.
However, if they Brewers are able to sign a couple bullpen pitchers, I'm sure there are going to be people who felt they paid too much. J.C. Romero already got a 3 year 12 million dollar deal and it appears as if Rivera had a 3 year 45 million dollar deal on the table.
Money might be one of the advantages of going after older relievers such as Herges, Hawkins, Mahay. They may be willing to either take less years or more years at less money than say a David Riske. But, David Riske would be more reliable.

People seem to associate some risk with signing Riske, and I don't see why. Sure he had a really nice season with the Royals, but he's been remarkably consistent (a good consistent) over most of his career. I've been pining for him the past couple of years.

Hawkins would be alright as bullpen depth, in a Dave Burba type role. I wouldn't want him after the 7th inning, though. Herges will be 38 next season, and his peripherals are bothersome. He posted a great ERA last year, but in only 50 innings pitched. He'll get more than he'll deserve.

I think Riske would be a nice acquisition at 3/12 or so, hes 31 and had a very solid career so far. I wouldn't offer the others mentioned anything more than a 1 year deal w/ a club option. Unless they feel that Stetter wouldn't perform, then I would go after Mahay.

Archived