Brewer Fanatic

ESPN's Take on Free Agent Cordero

TuesdaysWithRillo
I really agree that giving a relief pitcher more than a two year deal is a bad idea, especially for the Brewers. I mean, Dan Kolb and Derrick Turnbow both looked like bona fide All-Star closers pretty quickly...not that the same thing will necessarily happen with Cordero, but closers seem to turn on a dime awfully quickly throughout MLB.

I agree that relievers tend to be flash in the pan type players and Kolb and Turnbow are prime examples of that. I don't think you can put Coco in that category. He has been a better pitcher for far longer than either Turnbow or Kolb. He is one of the few who has been consistantly good for a number of years. In his 9 yearts as a major leaguer he has logged 506 innings, 528/231 k/bb, career 3.29 ERA and only one year in which his ERA was above 4. Turnbow for comparison in his 6ish years (two were less than 12 innings) logged 251.1 innings, has a 4.01 ERA, a horrible 155/260 k/bb, and only one year of an ERA under 4. Kolb is even worse.

The reason why CoCo is so valuable is because he has proven himself not to be the ordinary, 2 years of above average perfromance type, reliever. we need relieble relief help to avoid the probelm that we had last year. There are relatively few reliable ones out there. Thus you have to pay for them.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Archived