Brewer Fanatic

Big Picture and Marketing

jaybird2001wi

It has been said before by Milwaukee media that the new crop of youngsters are "young and handsome" ala JJ Hardy, Rickie Weeks, Prince Fielder and now Ryan Braun.

Does anyone here believe that these group of guys, with targeted marketing in the Milwaukee area, can become a total media spin after EVERY Brewer game next season. This kind of scares me a bit, because we, as Brewer fans, never had this type of situation before in our lives.

Sure, there was Yount, Molitor and Gantner... but this marketing blitz the Brewers have on their laps could be MAJOR. The "high school girl blitz" of "Hardy will you marry me?" has already been established. Now we have Braun, who is considered to be a "clean cut" type of guy, could make things better.

We got Fielder, who is a major established type of guy in the Majors and he is openly candid about his personal life "a la I want to stick it to my dad with every accomplishment I have" and then Rickie Weeks, who is considered to be the less vital person to this team right now based on abilities and what not. Now it seems like, for the first time in our franchise history, we can do damage based on marketing and putting the Packers and Bucks at bay for a little bit during the offseason at times.

I am scared but delighted.

putting the Packers and Bucks at bay for a little bit during the offseason at times

I've been dreaming of this my enitre life.

I hope they market this group of youngsters as hard as they've been marketing the '82 team.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

The marketing campaign should highlight these young players as a group.

Scenario A: Turn Prince Fielder into the face of the franchise - being in every TV ad, every bill board, etc. - and then watch Boras and Prince leave for New York in 3 years. This could really halt all of the momentum in trust and excitement built over the last few years.

Scenario B: Have TV ads, billboards, etc., featuring Fielder and Braun and Weeks and Hart and Hardy and Gallardo. Then when Boras and Prince leave for New York in 3 years, there will still be wildly popular players for fans to rally around. There will still be a level of disgust, but not enough to lessen the level of interest in the Brewers too significantly.

Probably rightfully so, the Packers are going to be at the forefront of our WI sportsworld until February. They're one of the best teams in the NFL and basically have a 1 in 2 chance of making the Super Bowl.

Brewers mania will get off to a slow start this offseason because of the Packers' success.

Now we have Braun, who is considered to be a "clean cut" type of guy, could make things better.
I don't know, Braun always looks scruffy looking to me. I wouldn't call him a nerf(?) herder though. It is obvious he came from Miami. He has the Crockett 5 o'clock shadow.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

What can I say... JJ makes me Hard-y.

And, I already have my pickup line ready for the high school girls.

"Hi, I can drive, and I can buy you beer."

Not that I'd contribute to underage drinking or anything...

Disclaimer: The above post was in jest. Honestly.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

This kind of scares me a bit, because we, as Brewer fans, never had this type of situation before in our lives.

Sure, there was Yount, Molitor and Gantner... but this marketing blitz the Brewers have on their laps could be MAJOR

I realize that you were not trying to say that Yount, Molitor, and Gantner were not marketable. However, anyone that was around during those days could tell you that the buzz that the late 70's and early 80's team created was incredible. Molitor had more than his fair share of admirers and the Brewers of that era, with their blue collar feel, was a match made in heaven for the Milwaukee fans. Unless you were older than 7 or 8 years old around that time, it's hard to describe what it was like.

Having said that, I understand what you are saying. Marketing is different now. There is also a greater variety of media now then back then. There are more people that are famous now because they are famous. Young Americans are probably more intrigued by pop culture now than ever before because it's more assessable (This is why MTV was so popular when it first came out, it was the first time the younger generation could actually see their pop icons on a daily basis). I am all for "putting the Packers and Bucks at bay for a little bit during the offseason at times".

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Archived