Brewer Fanatic

Our Catching Situation...

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I like Gwynn for Laird and BBQ. Either a pitcher or they could ship some BBQ pork up here, doesn't really matter.

It Texas, you call BBQ pork in Texas and you'll be forced out of the state. BBQ is brisket, thank you very much

Yes, I know BBQ is brisket in Texas. Hopefully I'll be moving there in the next 2 months. I think Gwynn's value is only worth BBQ pork, not brisket. Brisket is some quality stuff!

So if we waited, and the Cubs offered arby, why wouldn't Kendall simply accept arbitration? He could then get a pay cut of no more than 20%, right? That's still over $10M. Will the Brewers agree with Kendall but not sign until December.

If the Brewers do sign Kendall, I assume they'll want a righty-hitting backup. (So Ned can mishandle the platoon, of course.) Does that mean one more year of Miller?

I posed this question in the Kendall thread, which was probably the wrong location. Has anyone heard an update on J.R. House this offseason? I think he'd be a great guy to take a flyer on. Nice comeback year in AAA, still relatively young and was a pretty good prospect at one time.

I've been a fan of House for a few years, but his days as a catcher are well behind him. I'd love to see the Brewers take a chance on him and let him be the 25th man on the roster, filling in in LF and 1B, and maybe C on a rare occasion, largely serving as a late-inning PH. I know two years ago it came down to the Brewers and Astros signing him to a minor league deal, with the Astros obviously winning that one, but I think it's clear all teams question his overall future since he could be had for nothing the past three years without much interest.

Gerald Laird makes a ton of sense for the Brewers. As noted above, he does a great job throwing out baserunners, and while he's a big boy he's far from an oaf with some athletic ability. The Rangers are loaded with catchers, including Saltalamacchia (unless they intend to continue to use him at 1B, which would be stupid IMO), Chris Stewart, Taylor Teagarden and Max Ramirez.

He is a Boras client, and is entering his first year of arby, but since he isn't a world beater at the plate (although he does a nice job taking pitches) he shouldn't get too expensive anytime soon.

Colby I've been saying for quite awhile the Brewers should look for catchers who are organizationally blocked. Does this bring anyone to mind for you? Laird makes too much sense.

Jeff Mathis has been blocked by several different players, and really shouldn't be subjected to AAA again. The Angels actually have two talented catchers knocking at the door behind Mike Napoli in Mathis and Bobby Wilson. Both players have potential both offensively and defensively. A few levels below is Hank Conger.

Boston's George Kottaras is more about his bat than his glove, but he hit only .241 last season at AAA. Varitek makes any other catcher in the Red Sox system expendable, and as long as they hold onto Wakefield, I also doubt Mirabelli is going anywhere (they already tried that once).

Cleveland has Wyatt Toregas, a defensive stalwart, who finished 2007 in AA. VMart and Shoppach blocks any catcher in the Indians system.

The Braves have Clint Sammons, who is all about the glove, and Brayan Pena, who is all about the bat, ready to battle one another for the backup spot to Brian McCann.

Jeff Clement has been tossed around here frequently, but his defense is really in question with many believing he needs to stick in the AL where he can play 1B and DH more than behind the plate.

The Angels guys interest me the most, although the Angels and Brewers don't match up all that well since their glut is in pitching and their need is for impact hitters.

And Weirdos, check out page 4 in this thread. Gwynn for Laird and a RP has already been tossed around.

Archived