Brewer Fanatic

Our Catching Situation...

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He's a guy I'd have some interest in, too. I know brettac loves taking that shot; he's been advocating Barrett for some time now. He'd be 'bought low,' with obviously a good offensive ceiling. As for D, well, he could hit pretty well.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

He's a guy I'd have some interest in, too. I know brettac loves taking that shot; he's been advocating Barrett for some time now. He'd be 'bought low,' with obviously a good offensive ceiling. As for D, well, he could hit pretty well.

I always thought Barrett was at least average, defensively. I think his baserunner issues were sort of exacerbated by the power-pitching staff in Chicago.

Plus any enemy of Zambrano is a friend of mine http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Laird would be the one player I'd want as an upgrade at catcher.

I thought that, too, but looking at the numbers, I just saw that in 2007, Laird had a crap season. Worse than Estrada's, and in a hitter's park. He did have a much better walk rate, though. He had a good year in '06, but never otherwise.
It's unfair to compare Laird to Estrada by only looking at their offensive abilities, and only looking at their past performances. Laird is just entering his prime, and is arguably the best throwing catcher in the game. Estrada is fat, broken down, and rapidly declining, and is arguably the worst throwing catcher in the game.
Laird would be a terrific addition to the Brewers, and I would think Texas would still covet Tony Gwynn Jr. The Rangers also have a deep bullpen, while having massive holes in there starting rotation. The Brewers have a surplus of mediocre starting pitchers. These teams couldn't match up better for a trade, it will be a shame if they don't make a deal.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

X ellent post.

Estrada is fat, broken down, and rapidly declining, and is arguably the worst throwing catcher in the game.

Are you making that claim about his arm in general, over the past few seasons, or are you merely basing it on 2007? I can't imagine that throwing with bone spurs in your arm is easy. Just looking for some clarification on your stance, thanks.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Barrett's arm is no better than Estrada's.

Career CS%:

Estrada: .239

Barrett: .226

2007 CS%

Estrada: .131

Barrett: .163

I'm not a big Estrada fan, and I wouldn't mind taking a chance on Barrett if the price is right, but if you're going out to get Michael Barrett it ain't because of his throwing arm--its because you hope he puts up an OPS north of .800 again.

if you're going out to get Michael Barrett it ain't because of his throwing arm--its because you hope he puts up an OPS north of .800 again.

Right on... if you're going to have a bad defensive catcher, which is a given with both of those guys, then why not have a bad defensive catcher that was one of the top offensive players at the position from '04-'06? Heck, even when he "sucked" with the Cubs this year, he still had a line of .256/.307/.427 with them, compared to Estrada's .278/.296/.403. I think the whole Zambrano thing was maybe a distraction for Barrett. Maybe he was injured. He also got inconsistent playing time after going to San Diego.

The guy is a season removed from posting an .885 OPS at the catcher position, and they can probably get him on a one year deal. I'm so all over it.

Kendall is about the only guy I can think of that hits worse than Estrada and plays defense worse than Estrada. But he's a gritty battling gamer! He doesn't even button his jersey all the way up he's so gritty!

You'd have to think that even if you rushed Captain Lou to the majors this year he'd be able to put up Kendall's numbers at a fraction of the price, but I don't have the MLE's to be certain about that. I just have no idea why anyone would go near Kendall.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

i think Lou might have a .650 ops in the majors...and his obp would be sub .300...

the crew need help...jason kendall as a reclamation project wouldn't be bad...but anything over 3-4 million is dumb...better off keeping estrada

How about Ronnie Paulino or Ryan Doumit? The Bucs have perhaps the best minor league catcher in their system (supposedly moving him to 3rd base) in Neil Walker. Ryan Doumit seems like a legitimate player at the position and while he might be better with the bat (switch hitter) Paulino clearly calls the better game.

For a small market team like Pitt, I would think depth at a position should be moved to acquire legit players at positions where there are holes.

Archived