Brewer Fanatic

Free agent salaries

danzig6767

Reading on this major league board and in the trade board, i often saw posters balk at salaries being made by some players they might want in Milwaukee or that might end up here. More times than not when i'd read this, my thoughts were that many posters aren't grasping just how high salaries are heading up because baseball is swimming in cash and that players they might think are overpaid, really might be underpaid. A yearly salary of 10-11-12 million not long ago brought a fairly top shelf player, now it likely won't be enough to land Carlos Silva. Many folks think A.Jones/ T.Hunter are overrated, but with the money out there, my guess is they will both get 15-17 million a year or more. A starting pitcher that can throw 200 innings and not be terrible, but not be anything special either can easily fetch 11-12-13 million in this market. Imagine what Santana could makes as a free agent, i'd guess 22- 25 million per year. I think once the signings start rolling in, we'll see lots of, i can't believe so and so got that much cash. This article gives a good idea about how much money is in baseball right now.

Yahoo Article

Wanted to add this explosion of salaries also makes guys like Hall,Capuano,Bush etc more valuable than some may think if we did offer any in a trade. With their salaries vs what's out there in free agency, we might underestimate how much of a better option those guys will look to teams vs having to go in free agency and give similar talents 25-30-40 million dollar contracts depending on the player.

When replacement talent is at or below 1 million a year, and pre-arby talent is 500k a year, it makes 15 million a year for an OF that might hit .245/.330/.405 seem like a bit much.

As a fan I dont mind free agency, players come and go, I root for laundry, thats fine. As someone who takes a keen interest in how one can do about "building" a major league franchise, I hate free agency, because 90% of the players are worthless when you really think about what they add to your team in regards to what they will cost.

I of the belief that you pay guys like Vlad Guerrero, Johan Santana and Manny Ramirez 20 million a year without thinking twice, but let the other guys take the Juan Pierre, Russ Ortiz, Jarrod washburn, etc. for 9-12 million a year. Those guys are just too close in talent to guys who are almost free.

So yeah, average players are overpaid when if a GM applies himself and hires good scouts they can get young talent for a fraction of the price.

I agree with RyDogg. Just look to what Suppan got compared to what he has done. Free agents are pretty much overpriced unless you get a top tier one and I doubt we will ever see one of those in Milwaukee unless something changes financially.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I also agree with RyDogg. I hate free agency and I hate the players union. Yes, I understand that players were being "taken advantage of" back in the days before free agency and before the players union became powerful. However, there is something wrong with a system that rewards players by giving them bigger contracts after having off-years. There is something wrong with a system where owners have to get player's permission to initiate drug testing procedures that will help restore the integrity of the game.

I also don't buy the whole "it's a free market" argument so the players are worth what they are paid. It's not a free market. A free market would be where all the teams have an equal chance to land any player out there. If you think that's true, you are living in a fantasy world. Hard salary caps and full revenue sharing are the only things that could make a truly free market. However, the players union would never agree for that. Forget the fact that it would be good for the game.

I'm currently reading "3 Nights in August" that focuses on Tony LaRussa and a 3 game series with the Cubs in 2003(?). I know a lot of people don't like LaRussa and to tell you the truth I have never been his biggest fan. However, he makes some interesting comments in the forward and throughout the book regarding the current state of baseball. He talks about how much the game has changed since the players have gained more control. He talks about how the money made during the playoffs use to mean something to the players and how players had to fight for their livelihood. He talks about how the concept of team is much different now than it was 20-25 years ago. He also mentions that there are players now that seem to play the game at 70% to 80%, and he attributes this to the difference between $10million and $8million. If a player can play just hard enough to make $8million, do they really feel the need to put in that extra effort for another $2million? It's not like the difference between $500,000 and $800,000. It may not be a conscious thought process on the part of the players, but I can believe that it happens.

Free Agency and a powerful players union may have been good for the players, but it has not been good for the game.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Good point danzig on Hall, Bush, Capuano, etc. If the right situation presented itself, maybe the Brewers trade a mix of those for a pitcher who is going to have a big payday (ie a team tries to get something before they have to pony up all the money).

I think it all points to the continued hopelessness of Minnesota, Milwaukee, Pittsburgh, Kansas City, Florida, and the Morality Rays. In truth, we've been given a few years to be competitive, but the big teams, and stupid rules like the DH, keep driving salaries up and up. It really has gotten to the point of insanity, especially with an ever shrinking middle class in America. Without a hard salary cap in the 100 to 125 million dollar range eventually baseball will implode. That's why I've always been for two important events: an NHL-style lock out for one to three years, and/or the folding of the clubs mentioned aboved with teams like Oakland, Cinncinati, and others put on bubble and threatened with dispersal if they couldn't meet the salary cap and make a profit simultaneously.

I agree. The salary rise seems unending. Players should agree to a 20% cut in salaries across the board and owners should cut ticket prices 40%. Apparel prices can stay the same. I'm obviously just throwing numbers out there. A good deal for the fans!

Wouldn't it be nice.

Archived