Brewer Fanatic

Brewers make offer to Cordero

Everyone's in love with Gagne because the bullpen sucks for the brewers if they dont sign Cordero. Yes Gagne is injury prone but isn't Sheets also? Gagne is 31, he still has some years left, he has a career 3.32 ERA, and he can close games. Why not offer him 1 yr 6 mil deal with incentives if he pitches a certain amount of innings? It's a win-win situation if it doesnt work out who cares its a 1 yr deal, if it does, than it works out as well.

Gagne has had TWO Tommy John surgeries and a serious back injury- Sheets has had inner ear infections, a tendon on his finger pop, and relatively minor issues with his back. Their injury histories are completely of a different variety and severity.

So because Gagne once upon a time won the Cy Young, we can't criticize glaring injury worries? Hey - Capuano was an All-Star, let's slot him in as our #2 starter.

Suppan's won a World Series. When we make the playoffs he should be the opening game starter.

It's a win-win situation if it doesnt work out who cares its a 1 yr deal, if it does, than it works out as well.

I think the Brewers would be in big trouble if they were to sign Gagne to be an important cog in a reconstituted bullpen and his arm and back problems scream "high risk."

Who would care? Pretty much everyone here. Melvin would most likely be run out of town for not giving the bullpen "reliable" arms. And the Brewers would be in the same sort of situation they were this season - not enough bullpen depth.

Suppan's won a World Series. When we make the playoffs he should be the opening game starter.

Well Gagne's now won a World Series, too. Does that mean that we should be entrusting him with closing games for a hopefully playoff-bound Brewers...? Absolutely not. Craig Counsell won in the World Series; should he be starting at 3B instead of Braun in the opening game of the playoffs?

Well Gagne's now won a World Series, too. Does that mean that we should be entrusting him with closing games for a hopefully playoff-bound Brewers...? Absolutely not. Craig Counsell won in the World Series; should he be starting at 3B instead of Braun in the opening game of the playoffs?

I suppose I should've put that in blue. I thought it was pretty obvious though.

From jsonline

Chasing Cordero: Melvin said he wouldn't reveal specific offers he makes this off-season but confirmed he put in a bid to retain free-agent closer Francisco Cordero. Tuesday was the first day free agents could entertain offers from other clubs, and Melvin believes Cordero will have several suitors.

Cordero, 32, is believed to be seeking at least $40 million over four years but Melvin might not be willing to go that high.

"You have a 'choking point' with every player," said Melvin. "We'll be as competitive as we can be.

Melvin indicated he hadn't made an offer yet to free-agent set-up man Scott Linebrink but said he has a list of "eight or nine" free-agent relievers he likes.

"We will be putting some offers out there on relief pitchers the next few days," said Melvin.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=685918

My predictions on the players he likes

Ron Mahay

Eric Gagne

Octovio Dotel

David Riske

Troy Percevial

dont know on the rest,

'Eight or nine' suggests we're looking at anything and everything to help the bullpen, which is good.

Interesting that we're apparently in no hurry to sign Linebrink- considering that he could probably had for 1/3 the money they're offering to Cordero.

Gagne has had TWO Tommy John surgeries and a serious back injury- Sheets has had inner ear infections, a tendon on his finger pop, and relatively minor issues with his back. Their injury histories are completely of a different variety and severity.

Gagne's elbow problems came from throwing his slider, a pitch he no longer uses, so his elbow issue is a less of a concern, though still a concern. His change-up is possibly the best change-up in the game.

As for Sheets, his injury history looks alot better if you leave out half of his injuries, and I don't think I'd ever call back surgery a minor issue. Missing time with shoulder problems is always a concern. He also missed many starts with various muscle pulls, which speaks to his lack of conditioning, not something that usually alleviates with age.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

I suppose I should've put that in blue. I thought it was pretty obvious though.

Sorry... my sarcasm-meter was going off the charts ("trwi7? This isn't a usual post... hmm...") but I figured I'd field it as though it wasn't. I think we've all started to field everything that's not blue around here as non-sarcasm... Sarcastic Blue has become part of our conditioning!

'Eight or nine' suggests we're looking at anything and everything to help the bullpen, which is good.
Of course, it'd be nice if The Prince of Darkness/Transitive Property (where's the BF.Net Glossary? There needs to be an entry in there for TH's nicknames) actually would have followed through with his promise from that blog entry and thrown out some names...http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/mad.gif

EDIT:

Well lookie here... TPOD actually posted a blog entry about these names: BF.Net discussion is ongoing here.

Interesting that we're apparently in no hurry to sign Linebrink- considering that he could probably had for 1/3 the money they're offering to Cordero.

I think teams are realizing that you are going to pay for 2004-2005 Linebrink and end up getting 2007 Linebrink -- I think

Linebrink is 1/3 the pitcher that Cordero is going forward.

Sheets wouldn't be a good closer because he gives up too many home runs. Think Curtis Leskanic.

Another reason having Bill Schroeder as an analyst sucks, people believe him. Sheet's HR/9:

http://www.fangraphs.com/graphs/710_P_season_full_4_20071001.png

Archived