Brewer Fanatic

Brewers make offer to Cordero

http://blogs.jsonline.com/brewers/archive/2007/11/13/melvin-has-an-offer-in-to-cordero.aspx

Thats not the main thing. The thing that intrests me is

In the meantime, Melvin is preparing to go after some other free-agent relievers. I have the details and some names in an item at the bottom of my story on Ryan Braun in the JS tomorrow morning. Check it out.
Who do you think they could be? Any predictions?

Someone will give four, right?

Yes, absolutely, I'll be very surprised if he signs for less than 4 yrs / 40 million. Given his age, the dollar amount Jorge Posada got really surprised me, which leads me to think this will be another year of lousy free agent contracts.

I don't think so. I think if you want players, you are going to have to pay the going rate. And often while that going rate may look horrible now, a few years down the road, it'll be a steal. The fact is, the Brewers need some solid relievers, and they may have to pay out the nose this offseason to get them.

If what I heard today about Todd Jones getting 9 million a season is true then Cordero is going to get 11-14 per and that is just insanity for a closer who relies on a out of the strike zone slider as his out pitch.

Don't lots of pitchers rely on out of the strike zone sliders as out pitches? You certainly don't want to hang sliders over the plate. Aramis Ramirez taught us that.

Anyone else the least bit intrigued by Troy Percival? He sure put up some nice numbers in his comeback with the Cards.

I would be moreso - but I remember reading in passing (sorry, can't remember where to link it) earlier this offseason that Percy said he'd want to do another partial year like he did in 2007. Even so, it might be worthwhile to check out, but obviously you'd like a full year from a guy.

On that note, I wouldn't be too surprised if Gagne couldn't really offer a full year either, given his recent injury history. 2007 yeilded only appx. 52 IP, and that's hailed as the green-light on his health? I'm sorry for being skeptical - if anyone has any info that'd suggest Gagne would be reliable for more than 50 IP, please share. Fwiw, his xFIP in both Texas & Boston this past season were right around 4.20 - not exactly worthy of lots of (RP) money and more than one season on a contract. If we could sign him for 1 yr., roughly $5 mil., I'd be all for it - but I'd be willing to bet he'll get either a higher AAV or more years (or both). Mlb4u.com has him projected to sign a 3 yr./$36 mil. deal. No thanks.

On the xFIP/FIP angle, Riske is one I'd love to avoid. Even back in Cleveland his FIP was not as good as his ERA, WHIP, etc. With our shoddy infield defense, FIP seems to be a very important stat to bear in mind with pitchers. His LOB% this year was 90% (!) which obviously isn't very sustainable - and would help explain his stingy ERA number, yet average FIP.

Mahay interests me, if only because he'd be the cheapest of the bunch, with similar xFIP. But do we really need another LOOGY when Stetter appears ready to at least get his shot with the MLB club? I suppose the worst case if you sign Mahay is that you can keep Stetter as a low-leverage guy, so there's some value in that.

Dotel is one in which I'd be interested, with as few years as possible, AAV $4-7 mil. Kerry Wood - one guy on which I'd really be willing to spend some money, but it should be noted that the Cubs only got 24 1/3 IP outta him this year. We should at least take a look at Doug Brocail, too. Bringing back Luis Vizcaino would be a reasonable deal. Rudy Seanez is a guy who could put up pretty similar numbers to many of the 'usual suspects', and he'd be much cheaper.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Matt Herges

Kip Wells

Good calls - I could get down with either or both.

twobrew - A one year, $6 mil. deal would be right where I'd want Gagne. Agreed with you on the 30-foot pole... but just for safety's sake, let's make it 36 feet- a foot per million.

EDIT: Fwiw, NYY reportedly offered Rivera 3 yrs/$45 mil. With that out there, I can't see CoCo getting any less than 4 yrs/$40 mil. And he'd be a fool to pass up that chance.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Gagne? Based on how ineffective he was for BOS plus his injury history... the farther the Brewers can stay away from him, the better.

In retrospect, I'm glad the Brewers didn't acquire him. I could just picture the meltdown here if Gagne had his collapse in MKE instead of BOS.

Would 3y/30 M with a team option for 12 M for the 4th year and a player option of 8 M for the 4th year (kinda like how they structured Damien Miller's option year) be enough to put the Brewers in a good position with Cordero?

Archived