Brewer Fanatic

Cubs trade Monroe to Twins for PTBNL

yogallardo43

Yeah, but look at Hendry's moves...Jones for Infante and now Monroe for a PTBNL....does that really improve the Cubs?

No, but it does clear room for an outfielder or two. I agree that they are largely insignificant transactions, and that Melvin not making similarly insignificant moves does not bother me.

what are they thinking? Monroe at 4.8 mil? What the? They could do a lot better on the open market and not give anything up. I'm sure a Kubel/Monroe combo in LF is appealing to them for some reason. Rondell White will be missed. ha

Word is that they're trying to get him to negotiate for less money, otherwise, they'll just non-tender him like the Cubs would have.

Dumping players who aren't in your plans before the market disappears makes more sense to me than sitting around holding on to guys waiting for the perfect deal.

Turnbow, Capuano, Wise, and Mench all seem like baggage to me.

It's all just a non-tender away, right? I'm sure if someone were actually willing to give up value of someone Doug was willing to shed, it would be done. There's really no leaks out there which indicate that someone's banging down the door for one of these guys, unless the Chad Petty's of the world are really worth sweating.

Dumping players who aren't in your plans before the market disappears makes more sense to me than sitting around holding on to guys waiting for the perfect deal.

Wow how the mighty have fallen, a year ago at this time Capuano was the teams ace according to many.

If you are going to tell me that the Cubs got Omar Infante and a PTBNL *before* the market dried up, I will tell you that market is already quite arid.

Given that the free-agent period is only barely beginning, I think it's a little early to worry that Hendry is outmaneuvering Melvin. The market isn't about to disappear, and neither Jones nor Monroe are major deals for anyone to get concerned about. IMO, the trade market probably won't get going in a serious way until some major chips fall. Just to pick an example, a team looking for a closer might value Turnbow more after Cordero and Rivera are signed. Looking at these guys as liabilities to be unloaded for the likes of Izturis is unwise, IMO. At least in the case of Wise (haha!) and Capuano...even Turnbow still has some value, to the Brewers if not on the trade market. With so little certainty in the Brewers pen, I don't see the rush to dump him or Wise. Neither guy is great...but it's not as though they're displacing anyone better at this point.

I agree that Mench could be surplus, but that depends...as a fallback position they may need to contemplate a Gross / Mench platoon. But Mench is such a minor piece that there's no urgency whatsoever...if they have a solution in LF and no longer require Mench to bash lefties, they can easily deal him to someone who cares, or non-tender him. (Non-tender deadline is around Dec 15 I think...)

I read somewhere that the Twins basically traded for the rights to offer Monroe a cheap deal before the non-tender date...if he signs they'll send a PTBNL, if not they non-tender him and send a bit of cash and/or a Harry & David fruit basket to the Cubs.

Oh, absolutely Capuano has value. If Capuano were in free agency, I'd think he'd be in the Lohse / Silva / Fogg category of adequate veteran starters...knock off some value due to his performance last season, but add some because he's a lefty and former all-star. I haven't following Fogg much, but from what I've read, Lohse and Silva are looking to get 3 or more years, at $8 to $11M per....once they're gone, there's not a lot to choose from in the starting pitching market. I gotta think a GM staring at a scouting report on the wrong Weaver is going to find Capuano pretty appealing.

I'd be all over Cappy if I was anything but a contender. Buy low, sell high teams would be all over him.

If he were a FA, he'd be a 3y/$21M guy minimum. This year, with few SP's available, Chris would likely get 4y/$35-40M. Silva, who was horrendous in '06, might get $50M over 4 years.

SP's are at a premium. Rotoworld said Mike Maroth would get $2M after a disaster of an '07...a few years ago, he would have signed a minor league deal.

I really don't get the nontender Wise movement. The guy will only make around $1 million in arby and if you actually go to arby you can cut him at the end of spring training and only pay for a pro-rated portion of his contract. Now Greg Aquino.....

I think Capuano has some nice value. In fact, I think he is going to go to the Royals for Mark Teahan.

it is teahen by the way.

Where would Teahen play? Not third, he moved for Gordan and probably wouldn't go back for Braun to move? If he plays right, where does Hart go? Do you put Teahen in left, but will he produce there? I like Mark Teahen, but I don't see a room for him on this team. His .OBP is awesome and would be a welcome addition, but I still don't know where he would play.

Archived