Brewer Fanatic

Kenny Lofton

I would love the Brewers to go out and sign this guy to a 1-2 year deal to play left field - he can likely be had with a 1 year, but I wouldn't be opposed to giving him the extra year. La Porta is at least a full season away from playing left in the majors, and if I were Brewers' management I wouldn't put him on a faster track than Braun was put on, which would mean we may see LaPorta by June of 09. Lofton would be a great player to plug into the 2 or 8 hole in the lineup - he gets on base, works at-bats, still plays adequate defense for left field. He would also provide another stolen base threat. With what some less than marquee players will be getting via free agency this offseason, Lofton may come at a relative bargain, especially if the length of the contract doesn't interfere with any of the Brewers' young core's upcoming arby/free agency years.

I thought about the idea of him in center and doing the team defense thing with moving Hall back to 3rd and Braun to left, but at this stage in his career I'm not sure how good Lofton would be out in center. Reggie Sanders would be another player at a similar stage in his career as Lofton to acquire to play left, but he can't stay healthy, and him getting a year older probably doesn't help that.

thoughts?

Archived