Brewer Fanatic

Mike Lowell; Latest: Rotoworld Speculation, Brewers Sleeper

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's sad that he goes from one 'Buy the WS' team to another? Why Boston gets a free pass on this I'll never know.

Likely because the Red Sox aren't as active on the free agent market. Sure they sign guys, but most of their big parts comes from trades who are then resigned. Whereas the Yankees have like two full front offices and tend to try to be in on anyone so there is always someone from the Yankees willing to give an off the record quote about how they are interested in signing Player X.

Why Boston gets a free pass on this I'll never know.

I think that era is ending, until recently, there was no reason to hate the Red Sox, they hadn't won anything in a thousand years, and they were the arch rival of the easiest team to hate.

Now, their own payroll has become enormous, they've spent beyond what most realize by bidding so high on Matsuzaka, and they've got two Series wins in a short period of time. Soon, it will be fashionable to hate the Red Sox, and people will jump on board.

End, you're obviously right on Beckett & Ortiz, but Manny, Matsuzaka, Drew, Lugo, Lowell, Crisp, etc. isn't exactly akin to not being 'as active' - granted, the bulk of those examples were this past offseason. I think it has more to do with splitter's "they were the archrival of the easiest team to hate" notion.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I should just add this as part of my sig. I've had to explain/defend myself many times now! I just really fell for the largely developed from within teams of the mid-late 90s. No better nor worse explanation than that, and the affinity has carried over for whatever reason(s). Though I know what you're talking about when you generalize how "bad" the fans are, you definitely overgeneralize that.

"Far far bigger villains"? Fine. This is apparently just the way things are, so I won't even bother.

End, you're obviously right on Beckett & Ortiz, but Manny, Matsuzaka, Drew, Lugo, Lowell, Crisp, etc. isn't exactly akin to not being 'as active' - granted, the bulk of those examples were this past offseason. I think it has more to do with splitter's "they were the archrival of the easiest team to hate" notion.

Lowell and Crisp came from trades. But my point wasn't that they don't go after people, its just that they don't have a front office that wants its named mentioned with every single possible free agent. And so it seems there do less than the Yankees.

Gotcha - and thanks, I'd forgotten that Crisp & Lowell were trades. Was Lowell part of the Beckett deal? Iirc the Sox sent Hanley Ramirez + (Anibal Sanchez?) down for Beckett... or was it a separate deal? Crisp I'd sworn they signed via FA... looking into these.

EDIT: Got 'em - Lowell part of Beckett swap. Crisp + Bard + Riske from Tribe for Mota + Marte + Shoppach. What'd confused me on Crisp was the 3-year extension he signed almost immediately after joining the club. With Lowell, I was just being stupid (like it's the first time...).

I like Scott Rolen, but his recent injury time worries me (seriously, he's probably my favorite NL 3B not named Ryan Braun). He's not getting younger, either. I think I'd rather have Lowell at this point. Better average and stats all around. I don't want to see the Brewers break the bank on someone like Lowell, but they could do a lot worse this off-season.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Archived