Brewer Fanatic

If I was DM, I would.........?

EbbaStClaire

If I was DM my off season plan would be:

1. Accumulate pitching. Six to eight weeks ago I advocated for tearing up Ben Sheets' current contract and re-signing him for three years at 15M per year. I would even favor front loading that contract. I don't think the Brewers make the playoffs without a pitcher like Sheets. We would have made the playoffs this year if he wouldn't have been hurt. Front loading a new contract would make it easier to trade him in the future if we needed to, would take some of the pressure off the next two years team salary constraints what ever they may be, and finally considering the time value of money, entice Sheets to sign a new contract proposal. His injury history is certainly frustrating but so was the injury history of Jenkins and Molitor until they stopped getting hurt.

I would make an aggressive attempt to sign Cordero and Linebrink.

I would sign Matt Herges from Colorado who is a Class C free agent and had a nice year pitching in relief and was especially effective away from Coors Field. ERA just under 3.00 and a WHIP around 1.00.

I would sign the Brewers 58th round draft choice from 1995 who for the last 3-4 years has been a terrible starting pitcher but throws a 95 mph fastball, an excellent but inconsistent slider, and an 86-87 mph sinking running fastball. He is a Class C free agent who had 10 relief appearances this year and an ERA of 2.31. As a relief pitcher he struck out more batters, walked fewer, and gave up fewer hits than he did per nine innings as a starter. In addition he never pitched less than 2.0 innings per relief appearance. I would sign Kip Wells as soon as possible. I recently viewed 9 of his 10 relief appearances and he was awesome. He pitched in relief in 2001 and was effective. Salary last year with the Cardinals was $4M and he did nothing as a starter to suggest he would enjoy a big payday in 2008.

I believe the pitching staff should be built so that we have an 11 man staff. To me that means releif pitchers who can pitch more than one inning and of course starters who pitch 6-7 innings.

2. I would not offer arbitration to Mench.

3. I like Gross and Dillon in left field.

4. Improve the catching if I can using pitching once I have enough.

5. Need another utility player who can play shortstop.

If I was DM my plan would be:

1. Make a big push to resign Cordero and Linebrink, but definitely one of the two. It's awful tough to win a division without an effective closer, especially in the offensively-stacked NL Central.

2. Strengthen bullpen. don't know who, but a couple of $3-4 million dollar guys would sure be nice.

3. Sign an OF (not specific to LF). Unless the market is completely insane again, prefer a mid- to top-tier guy, though don't exhaust your budget becuase we have a bullpen to fix, too. I'm not in the wait-for-LaPorta camp, as we can figure out what to do if/when he shows potential at the ML level.

4. Decide on Sheets. My personal preference is to trade him for a pitching prospect (AA or AAA), two bullpen guys (one with closer potential) and a new catcher.

Not move Braun to the OF. Give him one more year. All things being equal...if I could pick from Hall or Braun at 3B I'd take Braun. I don't want to come off the wrong way...but do you think the Brewers knew about Braun's defense coming into the situation? My guess is that they did AND they chose to move Hall. Braun isn't moving to a new position unless we get a new 3B. After Hall's 2007 season, he might not even be on the Brewers in 2008 (based on some possible trade rumors).

The main question is...would you take Hall or Braun at 3B...and the kicker is Hall @ 3B or no Hall. That is the true question. Matt LaPorta is coming up soon and I don't think he can play in the infield.

The main question is...would you take Hall or Braun at 3B...and the kicker is Hall @ 3B or no Hall. That is the true question. Matt LaPorta is coming up soon and I don't think he can play in the infield.
Why cant we do one year outfield of Braun, Bradley/Lofton, Platoon this year and the next have an outfield of Braun, Laporta, CF? Assuming Lofton or Bradley are 1 year signees.

Why cant we do one year outfield of Braun, Bradley/Lofton, Platoon this year and the next have an outfield of Braun, Laporta, CF? Assuming Lofton or Bradley are 1 year signees.

Not to be rude but... where's Corey Hart in this picture...?

And IMO Bradley should be nowhere near the Brewers, knee injury or otherwise.

EDIT:

Shouldn't this thread be merged with Colby's Play DM the GM thread...?

1. Sign Kosuke Fukudome, have him bat second

2. Let CoCo and Linebrink go

3. Trade Tony Gwynn Jurnior for a talented set up RP, such as Rafael Soriano, or Damaso Marte, for our closer.

4. Retain Vargas and Bush, and move to the bullpen

5. Attempt to trade away some of AAA stables, Lance Nix and Brad Nelson come to mind, for some type of pitching prospects

6. Menchens doesn't half exist, Mench needs to leave following Jenkins

7. Reconsider the evaluation of talent in the farm system. The fact that the Padres understood Thatcher's talent while we didn't gravely concerns me.

8. Retain most of the Bullpen, except for Spurling

9. Steal more bases

10. Address the catching situation. Estrada hurts the team.

11. Attempt to resign Sheets, and actively shop him during the process in case an incredible deal may surface or contract negations fail.

Archived