Brewer Fanatic

Braun named Rookie of the Year in closest NL vote ever

DannoMac21

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Would it be a blessing in disguise if he lost because of his defense? Would he get a chip on his shoulder and set out to prove everybody wrong?

(Not saying that I want him to lose, though.)

Nah. He realizes his fielding was sub-par.

Who the heck picked Braun third? And who could have received the other second place vote? I can't see anyone honestly thinking Chris Young or Josh Hamilton had a better year than Braun, even with his fielding problems.

per rotoworld kyle kendrick received the only top two vote that did not go to braun or tulo. It would be interesting to see if the writer who voted for kendrick came from the colorado market.

Any bets that a Colorado writer put Braun third?? I certainly hope thats not the case but it wouldn't surprise me. Trying to help out his own guy....I can't see any way that someone could actually believing Braun was the third best rookie...either way, woohoo for Ryan Braun!!

Congratulations, Ryan! This is awesome. Yea, I'd guess that a Col. sportswriter threw in that 3rd place vote. I could never compromise my integrity on that one, personally - if I wanted to vote Tulo first, fine - but no way I'd try to submarine another deserving candidate. Who was that sportswriter from Denver who wrote the whiny 'Tulo should win because Braun isn't good on defense' (trust me, the article was even worse than it sounds - my 'title' sounds noteworthy) piece? I'd bet on him.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

In terms of production, home and away, Braun was much more consistent that Tulowitzki, who batted .326 with 15 home runs and 60 RBI in 77 games at Coors Field, compared to a .256 average, nine homers and 39 RBI in 78 games on the road.

Braun posted nearly identical numbers, home and away, batting .326 with 17 homers, 49 RBI and a .660 slugging percentage in 56 games at Miller Park, and .322 with 17 homers, 48 RBI and a .610 slugging percentage in 57 games on the road.

There's your difference, and justification, right there.

This was the correct choice. I love Tulowitzki, and he would have been a worthy recipient, but what Braun did with the bat is simply amazing.

I really don't think most people have realized how absolutely incredible Braun's performance was - this was not really good - this level of success is how legends are made. Yes, the defense needed to be taken into account, but so did Tulo's home/road splits, which are also glaring.

Two great young players - the next time a guy like Hamelin or Hollandsworth wins this award...remember years like this one.

Both guys were deserving and in other years Tulo would have ran away with it but Braun was the correct choice. Yes, Tulo's defense is much better but Tulo's road struggles negate a good amount of that. For half his games he was just adequate offensively. That has to be taken into account.

Archived