Brewer Fanatic

Yi Jianlian a Steal at Number 6?

bobbledude25

Yi played more of a 3 when he played in China. I'm sure it'll take a little bit of time to get used to defending traditional 4s and such, but if he finds a way to develop a "true" 4 he could be really special. I know it's way too early, but I think a good example would be Dirk in Dallas. He's tall enough, etc to be a 4, but his game is really that of a 3 -- not that it's a bad thing.

Yi seems to be getting a fair share of rebounds, which was one of my concerns with him.

Tonights game was just another example of why i think the Bucks struck gold in getting Yi. He was only 3-11 from the field, but he was great on the boards and played some fabulous defense while at times being matched vs a top notch scorer in Gasol. What i love is how the guy seems to have a great basketball IQ to go along with special athletic ability for a man seven feet tall. He quickly learned how to still defend well without fouling alot like he did early in the year. His shot blocking and overall defensive skills are vastly better than i expected. The form on his jumper is flawless and he'll only get better at taking defenders off the dribble.

IMO it's possible that by the end of the year, he'll pass Redd as the best player on the team. If not that soon, by sometime next year it's a near lock.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Yi is going to be a very good player for years to come. Good luck for any other team in the NBA to match our two big guys. If we can get some team defense going, and either get Redd to play like a complete player or deal him for someone who will, the sky is the limit for this club.

Archived