Brewer Fanatic

Yi Jianlian a Steal at Number 6?

bobbledude25
What do you guys think did we get a steal taking this guy with the 6th pick in the draft? I realize the season is only a few games old but I wasn't sure what we were getting but all I have to say now is that I am very impressed with this kid. I've watched all the Bucks games this year and I am shocked at how good this kid is right now and how good he can be. The defense and cutting back on the fouls obviously still need some work buy it seems like we got our Dirk Nowitzki back (hopefully) that we traded away years back.

He's only a steal if you think he's better than the guys in front of him.

This year's draft, the #9 pick (Noah) probably would've been 1 or 2 the year before. We got lucky and it was a deep draft (after being totally unlucky with the ping pong balls)

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Hasn't there only been 6 games?

He's looked better than most of the team as a rookie. I'd be shocked if by next year he wasn't this teams best player. This is the kind of guy you build around, nobody is off limits now you gind players that compliment this kids game he truly is that good.

I agree if he's 19 it's a steal, if he's 23 he's a solid pick. I think purely from a marketing view he was a great pick. The Bucks will get a lot exposure in Asia and hopefully the national networks pick up a few games next year.

I don't think there were too many people against this pick at this spot based on talent, but it was a question of if he didn't sign with the Bucks we may have not been able to get our #6 value back.

As far as being the best player next year, I don't know about that. I have a lot of respect for Redd, but Yi should be a more complete player. It's only been a few games, but it Yi doesn't look like a bust. If only Villanueva can get it going so we can trade him for some value...

Why is he just solid if he's 23? Players use to not come out until they were 22 and didn't hinder their potential. Yao Ming would of been the same age or older IIRC when he came here and he's turned out alright and has developed ALOT as a player. I don't care either way if he was born in 85 or 87. This is such a common accusation amongst foreign players. Ersan Ilyasova was suppose to be older too and I think it was pretty obvious he's not seeing how much the guy grew.(wish he was still here btw)

I don't know if you can call the 6th pick a steal really since it's still a pretty high pick but Yi was the player I wanted all along when we moved back to the 6th pick. We knew Horford and Conley weren't going to be there who I would of taken over him at the time and I really disliked Jeff Green as a player as well as Corey Brewer and Brandon Wright. We had alot of reasons to pick someone else and none of them involved ability. No way I could agree with them taking a lesser player because he would be easier to sign.

Yi has been so impressive so far. He's handling the pressure of the largest nation on Earth better than anyone could imagine. His shot is beautiful, his rebounding is better than expected, and his defense is the best thing about him. He single handedly changes the game when he's on the court and he's played like 6 games. He's only going to get stronger and more accustomed to the NBA style of game. I honestly believe he's the superstar we have been looking for. 5 years from now I don't think he'll be on a hurry to leave either. He's the type of player that can get Milwaukee excited about basketball and the Bucks. I really couldn't be happier with the organization selecting him. Marketing wise alone he's worth it and knowing what I know now the only two players I would of taken ahead of him would of been Durant and Oden. The whole package.

Everything I've ever read about the talent/age thing is that players tend to peak development-wise at around 25. So Yi at 19 has a lot more potential then Yi at 23.

Either way you look at the question, it has to be a steal for Sen. Kohl, who's probably making a killing from all the extra marketing dollars he's able to pull in from Yi.

A couple of things.

1st. I do like the pick of Yi because of the potential like most players coming out of college. He shows a lot of effort on the court and seems to have a great shot.

2nd. I see the pick of Yi at the time as a way to make some money. With all the internation money they are bringing in, they have to be making some good money.

Finally. I am impressed with what he has done so far. Not many of the rookies are starters for there teams right away. I think only Al Horford, Acie Law and Kevin Durant are the only rookie starters.

One Stop Shop For Cell Phone Accessories. Like US On Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/MR-Wireless/233579846693356

The thing about that though is most players have been in the NBA 4 or 5 years maybe more at 25. If he's entering the league at 23 it shouldn't limit his potential that much IMO. I stated Yao Ming as a someone who came in at 22/23 and developed ALOT as a player. Most players back in the day didn't come in until that age either. The whole thing is overblown.

I'm not sure what you are saying but I think Yi could be a contributer on most teams. He's already a good player and will be "the guy" pretty soon for this team IMO. The guy is just a straight up player. Moves like a guard and has a ton of range and moves. He's smart too and wants to get better. Aren't any guys like him in the NBA warming the bench.

I don't get how the age isn't a factor with Yi. I totally agree with Game05. Players haven't come into the NBA at 22 for the past 10 years or more. That's the exception. How does Yi's age not matter? Please explain. I'm not trying to be mean, but if Yi is doing what he does at 19 imagine what he can do at 25? Like Game05 pointed out if he's 23 he'll peak in 2 years. That's a HUGE difference. If Yi is 23, there is no way he's back in Milwaukee after his contract his up. He didn't want to come here to begin with, but now we assume he'll stay? There's no way. If he is 19, there's a chance we could get him to a 3 year deal (which is the norm -- see LeBron, Carmelo, etc -- since this maximizes the money they can make).

After the 2009 season, the Bucks have 2 options on his contract. They are at $3.194 and $4.050. I'm assuming the Bucks pick those up. The end of 2011 is a restricted contract. Yi will be traded well before he's a free agent.

How does age not matter? I really don't understand this? If he's 23, he's one of the oldest players drafted in the first round in the past 5 years (the list is very small). I think this is huge.

If Yi was truly a guy that needed several years to develop into a contributor, then his age is an issue. However, Yi is at the very least a contributor, and in many eyes, is fast becoming the best player on the Bucks. His defense is not only not a negative, but he has shown the skills to be one of the better defenders on the team, if not division. I hesitate to even take the time to type this because it appears some attitudes here are entrenched, and it is apparent that there is a wide disparity of basketball acumen in this thread. TRWI, keep bringing the truth, and maybe something will stick.

Whether or not Yi becomes a great player depends a lot on his age. If he's 19 and playing this well you have a super star in the waiting. At 23 he's near his peak. Now for the Bucks, it likely doesn't matter because there is likely going to be a push for him to leave Milwaukee after his rookie deal so the Bucks would be unlikely to get his best years if he is really 19.

I don't know that you can say that a 22 year old coming from China to the NBA could be near his peak potential wise. He might be peaking athletically (or rather nearing that point) but I would say there is a lot he can pick up even at the age of 22 by playing in the NBA a few years. No doubt his potential is a bit higher if he is younger, but the fact that he might be 23 doesn't at all mean than his growth will be vastly limited.

What I want to see him do more is ball fake and take it to the rack. He seems to be settling for 20 foot jumpers right now (he is hitting them, though) when the defense is giving him more.

If he's 19 and playing this well you have a super star in the waiting. At 23 he's near his peak.

Just looking at him & watching him play, he appears to be somewhere in between 19 & 23. Therefore, I think his value/potential is somewhere in between potential superstar & very good role player. To me, at worst, the Bucks got a very good role player, and it's very realistic that they got more. Imho, a very nice pick at #6.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

right now he is the second best rookie in the league. Atleast the argument can be made that the hawks should of took him at #3, so right now yes he has been a steal. Id rather have a bigger 4, but always seems to get around 10 boards a game, so i can't complain much about that.

Is there any real way for the Bucks to know his age? I know he didn't comment on it when asked about it by the Milwaukee media.

The Hawks are really are hurting by missing out on top picks. Marvin Williams is getting better, but he hasn't developed anywhere near what they thought. Hopefully this year's pick pans out for them.

I'm not sure if the post was referring to his height and weight combo or more so his style of play -- not that there's anything wrong with it. I still don't know if Yi is 245, but him being around the Bucks training staff should hopefully get the most out of his body.

Archived