Brewer Fanatic

Kenny Rogers

Just noticed that he is available. He might be worth taking a look at. Yeah he's a jerk, but he could probably be had relatively cheaply on a one year contract. When healthy, Rogers can put up some very nice numbers, as evidenced by his ERA being in the mid 3s two of the last three years in the AL.

It would be quite nice if we had a rotation of:

Sheets

Gallardo

Rogers

Villenueva

Suppan

Thoughts?

Link

Didn't even think of the lefty thing, but that would be another big plus. Would signing him to a 1 year 10 million dollar deal get it done? Would that be too much? too little?

Picking up Rogers would allow us to move Capuano, possibly for a bullpen guy like Fuentes. He would also be a short term solution, so Parra can work his way into the rotation in '09. Finally, having him on a one year contract would prevent us from having an albatross to deal with when it comes time to sign one or two of Weeks/Hardy/Braun/Fielder longterm.

I think the Brewer's #1 priority this offseason has to be upgrading in the pitching department. Their offense is going to put up runs, we have a good number of run producers. (Yeah, having a high OBP guy for the #2 spot would be nice, but I don't think our team is going to be without a flaw or two).

Doug would not sign Wickman, he considers character. Rogers seems unlikely, to say the least.
I obviously know about the camera man instance - but has Rogers ever been a clubhouse problem?

I always heard he was a good teammate and well liked by his peers. Being snarky with the media isn't nearly the problem of being a clubhouse cancer.

He may not be the nicest guy. But the guy can pitch, very well. My guess is he'll be undervalued (in comparison to other FA pitching options) and may be a potential FA steal.

If he can put up a 4.00 ERA for around or under $10 million, he'd be worth bringing in, attitude or not in my opinion.

It would be quite nice if we had a rotation of:

Sheets

Gallardo

Rogers

Villenueva

Suppan

Thoughts?

Yeah, I think adding Kenny Rogers for one year at a reasonable price is a good idea, with Bush as insurance in the bullpen. Vargas could make a good bullpen arm if he can't be traded for decent value. But I think Cappy should be traded, there's no role for him if Kenny Rogers is in the rotation and Parra waiting in the wings.

I suppose the one issue could be that Capuano could possibly put up that 4.00 ERA and 1.3 WHIP we'd hope for out of Rogers. Capuano has done it before and will be cheaper/younger than Rogers. I'd be okay with just giving Capuano another shot too.

Kenny Rogers wants to be a Tiger. He has said it several times, to reporters and to the Tigers. This is precisely the kind of comment that Scott Boras hates to hear from his clients. Boras, Rogers' agent, prefers his players to at least create the illusion that they are willing to go to the highest bidder -- and therefore force the hometown team to submit the highest bid. So when Boras said this past week that Rogers will entertain offers from other teams, it was not surprising. Boras loves free agency, and he has a remarkable ability to steer his clients away from lucrative deals with their current team in favor of even more lucrative deals with somebody else. Detroit Free Press

I would say the likelihood of Rogers going anywhere are very slim.

there are always two sides to every fight. the cameraman was not totally innocent. he and Rogers had previous issues with each other. Unfortunately, when you see a tape of the incident, you see the tape only from the camera man's angle and not from rogers. You also are not provided a tape of what led up to the incident or the background of the player with this camerman. Rogers ' actions were very similar to those done many times by movie stars to paparazzi and very similar to what Randy Johnson did when walking down a New York street. Rogers told the camera man to stop following him and the cmaeraman continued.

when my cat gets in my face and his whiskers get in my nose, I slap him. I love my cat, but he when he does that he goes beyond my tolerance level. he has learned not to stick his whiskers up my nose.

now if you were to speculate that Rogers throws a spitter, or scuffs the ball or is taking the juice, I would not disagree with you.

Rogers has attitude.

Archived