Brewer Fanatic

Geoff Jenkins shows some real class

markedman5
I don't think there's any chance Jenkins gets booed when he comes back. Although not totally the same thing, I understand, I remember Paul Molitor getting quite the extended standing ovation when he came back with Toronto. I don't think at least a pseudo standing ovation is outside the realm of possibility.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A classy and undoubtedly sincere gesture. The cynic in me also sees a somewhat shrewd move in trying to build his value as a 'character guy' as he enters FA at a time when his baseball value may not be particularly high - he positions himself as a great guy to have on your team, even if he is not a great player. Of course that's true, so a both a nice thing for him to do, and probably a smart thing as well.

A classy and undoubtedly sincere gesture. The cynic in me also sees a somewhat shrewd move in trying to build his value as a 'character guy' as he enters FA at a time when his baseball value may not be particularly high - he positions himself as a great guy to have on your team, even if he is not a great player. Of course that's true, so a both a nice thing for him to do, and probably a smart thing as well.

Being just past the age of 30 and seeing his entire career here, I really believe those were legit words on his part. Evenin todays sports, things like do NOT happen and this was an unbelievable thing to see. We had a family event this weekend and we talked about it at length. Being huge brewer fans, we loved this and I am really going to miss him. I defended him and will like him no matter where he goes. I treasure guys who stay have played a long time with one team and even more so when its the brewers. Thank you Geoff for all the good moments you gave me and the attitude you brought to our team. I hated the K's as much as anyone but I never talked as bad about him as most did. I look at his body of work and he gave us great years even when things were very bad here. I will always be a huge fan of his and I wish there were more like him.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll tip my cap to VegasBrewerFan for pointing me towards mlb-rumors.blogspot.com, as it's new to me. The following is from the blog:

A source close to Geoff Jenkins has told me that the Padres have extended him a two year deal, worth 16-20 million dollars. The deal supposedly has an option for a third year, but I have not been able to confirm that.

If this goes through, that's pretty much the most straightforward, drama-free FA signing. I can't believe he's going to see that much, but go get your money Geoff!

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

The Brewers dont pick up his option and he makes MORE on the open market...and now we are looking for a left handed hitting left fielder. Oof.

Once again, I don't think the issue is the money. I think the issue is Geoff Jenkins' style of hitting and how it no longer fits with what the Brewers really need. Even if Jenkins was willing to play in Milwaukee for free, I still wouldn't be interested.

Once again, I don't think the issue is the money.

Yeah Jenkins in SD makes a lot of sense to me... They could really use his bat. -- SD had one of the worst OPS against RHP, they did much better against LHP. The Padres probably had one of the weakest combined corner OF OPS's in the NL as well.

All former Brewers get booed.
I don't remember anyone booing Molly when he came back. In fact, if I remember correctly, the handed out "Welcome back Molly" signs at the game.

edit: Guess that wasn't entirely correct:

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9F0CE4D6153EF935A15755C0A965958260

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Archived