Brewer Fanatic

Geoff Jenkins shows some real class

markedman5

For any of you that didn't see it Geoff took out a full page ad in todays MJS to thank the fans of Milwaukee for their support.

He calls us "the best fans in baseball" and says it was a pleasure to play here for the last 10 years.

Best of luck to Geoff where ever he ends up.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought it was a great gesture as well.

I was actually reading the paper and went right past it just because I saw the entire page was one big ad!

Glad I went back and saw what it was. It really was a great picture and message. I wasn't a fan of Jenkins, but he always gave it his all - and I suppose that is all you can really ask for out of a player.

If anyone knows where to find a good color copy of the ad - I would love to have it. It would make a great poster/picture.

Lastly, with Jenkins leaving I thought we had no shot at any compensation picks for him since we declined his option? The paper this morning has Melvin quoted as saying he is really suprised Jenkins wasn't a type "B" - implying that we would have gotten a compensatory pick for him.

That article looked like Haurdicort needing to fill space. The Brewers could only get any compensation if they offered Jenkins arbitration and if they were going to do that they might as well have picked up the option since the cost would be the same after the buyout. The only way the Brewers would have gotten compensation then is if a team hurried and signed Jenkins before the arby deadline.

That said I have no idea how Jenkins didn't get a B ranking.

Best of luck to Jenkins. I'm sure he has some good baseball left in him. I'm going to see if I can find a copy of the paper just for the ad.

As far as the compensatory pick, I'm surprised that a team could decline an option and still offer arby and get a compensatory pick. I'm also surprised that Jenkins isn't at least a type "B" free agent, especially looking at the rest of the FA crop.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Text of the Ad

Over the last 10 seasons I've had the pleasure of playing in front of the best fans in the country.

I thank you for all your support and will always remember my time in Milwaukee.

You have made me feel like a part of your community and those memories will last a lifetime.

Geoff Jenkins

The picture is the one of Jenks leaving the field for the last time to a standing ovation.

I really don't know why they just don't non-tender Mench and offer Jenkins a two year deal for about 10 million plus incentives. He is a much better player than Mench, and they're not going to be able to find anyone cheaper on the open market. Mench is going to end up getting 3-4 million anyway.

He's a Brewer to the core. Many of us knew this, but this confirms it. He'll be missed.

Too bad Ned didn't understand it when he sent up Kevin Mench with bases loaded and two outs in the 9th inning of the final game vs. the Cubs. The moment should have been Geoff's. Instead it was put in the hands of a guy who's no more than a footnote in Brewer annals. The thought of Ned coming back bothers me more than losing an all timer like Jenks.

Well, Geoff, I thought I'd let the water outta my eyes for the last time over you... and then you go and do this!

A classy, classy move. But at this point, I guess I really shouldn't be surprised. You will be missed and remembered, Geoff - and I will instantly root for whichever team inks you.

REMEMBER THE GEOFF-A-MO!

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

kdeval31, thanks for posting that and putting a lump in my throat for the last 5 minutes. Even perusing this thread throughout the day did nothing for me until I actually saw the ad.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Classy move by a guy that has been booed more than he deserved to be. Good thing he saw through the amateurs and realized that most people appreciated the fact that he tried his best when he was here. Good luck to Geoff as long as he is in baseball.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Archived