Brewer Fanatic

do I even need these programs? (internet security question)

pitchleague

I just got my new laptop and was transferring over my AVG Internet Security programs (with an installer) but I don't have the license key number anymore so the installed and software is no good.

I downloaded AVG Free because I like the program, but the question I have is: do I need to find other free software programs to fill out the rest of the internet security? I suppose a spam blocker would be good to have. And a spyware program, I think. But firewall I think is provided on my modem or my router so I don't think I need that.

Is any of this correct? Can I trust free programs for these things? Any of them that I probably do not need? And if I do, do you have any recommendations for the free programs (spyware, spam blocker, firewall)? Or should I just buy another license from AVG?

Thanks for any advice and help you can give me on this.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I don't have access to my bookmarks right now, so I'll answer generally and come back if need be.

You should definitely have an virus blocker and spyware blocker running in the background. Also, you should be running virus and spyware cleaner-uppers. Virus protection and cleaning will come from the same program. Spyware protection and cleaning may or may not come from the same program.

Also, for further protection, you should access the Internet from a password-protected limited account. This adds two layers of protection. Administrative access is necessary for most spyware to get into the areas of the system it likes to mess up. And requiring a password to install software is very likely to trip up malware that wishes to install itself.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Archived