Brewer Fanatic

Wisconsin Badgers Basketball

TwinsBrewersWorldSeries
  • Replies 838
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two early fouls on Trevon. Sad.

The one guy we really can't afford to lose vs Duke's pressure.

And, y'know, that guy, who might be college POY... might want to cover him. (okay, no more posting for me)

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

For a team that is loaded with 6-10 and 6-11 guys, they sure cant rebound a lick.

Duke cant miss, plays better defense on the perimiter and inside. They trap every ball handler. They are making the Badgers look like a high school team.

Wisconsin's "Bigs" look very untalented. Due to the B10 Network this is the first game I have seen and these guys look really slow and not good.

Yes, they are playing bad tonight. But some of you guys act like you don't know who's on the team. The only guy that wasn't there lasy year that's played tonight is Leuer. I said earlier that the Badgers not being dependent so much on a guy like Tucker would be a good thing. But this early in the season, in a game against a top team, not having that guy like Tucker is bad, I have to admit. They need some guys to be assertive on the offensive end...and MAKE YOUR FRIGGIN FREE THROWS! And where was Landry in the first half?

For a team that is loaded with 6-10 and 6-11 guys, they sure cant rebound a lick.

Duke cant miss, plays better defense on the perimiter and inside. They trap every ball handler. They are making the Badgers look like a high school team.

Wisconsin's "Bigs" look very untalented. Due to the B10 Network this is the first game I have seen and these guys look really slow and not good.

My guess is the Badgers will be solid in Big Ten play, but they would struggle alot if they were in the ACC. That conference is so much better than the Big Ten and it's not even close.

I didn't think they had much chance at all to win at Duke, i figured they would lose by around 10-12 points. Obviously i was wrong based on the first half, Duke is a vastly better team. I understand the game is at Duke which is contributing to the Badgers getting waxed, but Duke is more athletic, better defensively, and have much better shooters.

Games like this are hard to watch given it's on national TV

Yeah, this is painful. Like I said, maybe Im discouraged because this is my first exposure to the Badgers since they looked awful in March, but somehow they look worse.

UW has 5 guys over 6-9 and Duke has 1, yet Duke gets off every shot uncontested and have no problem rebounding, etc.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Hughes is going to be good but he needs to stop dribbling around so much.

Duke looks really good - they are outhustling WI.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Duke is just a tough matchup for a rebuilding team.

(...which isn't to say that the Badgers are going to be bad, just that they don't have a "go-to" option at this point in the season.)

I liked what I saw out of Leuer; he's going to be good after a year or two in the program.

Hughes did not have a good game tonight; 4-13, with entirely too many ill-advised attempts early on the shot clock.

Landry was also tops among the disappointments; he just doesn't look for his shot often enough.

Butch's line would look much better if it wasn't for those 4 3-point attempts.

Anyone else remember when Krabbenhoft was billed as a scorer? Scorers don't miss reverse layups around the hoop.

Fortunately, they don't play Duke every week.

Hughes getting into foul trouble really hurt. Duke's pressure really seemed to mount then. Not sure why Bo didn't go with Bohannen instead of Flowers. Flowers and Krabbenhoft at the guards just got worked on both ends and suddenly Duke was up 20.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Hughes getting into foul trouble really hurt. Duke's pressure really seemed to mount then. Not sure why Bo didn't go with Bohannen instead of Flowers. Flowers and Krabbenhoft at the guards just got worked on both ends and suddenly Duke was up 20.

One problem i can see the Badgers having all year is that Hughes is the only real good ball handler in the backcourt and only real PG. Bohannen is a great shooter and can handle the ball somewhat, but he's not a natural PG like Hughes is. When Travon isn't in the game, the Badgers look like they'll be susceptible vs teams that press or play a trapping pressure defense.

With that said, playing a good Duke team in such a hostile environment can easily lead to games like this. They were pressing and creating turnovers, plus they were lights out from three point land. This got the crowd in a frenzy and the Badgers looked rattled. They create a few turnovers, drill some threes, and we missed a few open shots, before you know it Duke is up 15-17 points and the game is basically over 12 minutes in. Games like this on the road in a loud gym vs a good team is where having an inexperienced backcourt can lead to a game getting out of hand quickly. Also, as NDOG brought up, not having a go to scorer hurts alot. With things deteriorating quickly and their crowd in a frenzy, you need baskets to quiet the crowd and calm your team down. Last year, we could just get it to Tucker and often enough, he's find a way to get a hoop.

Anyone else remember when Krabbenhoft was billed as a scorer? Scorers don't miss reverse layups around the hoop.

Yeah, I would classify him as a pretty big bust. He gets a lot of love for whatever reason, but he's just too passive to be really good. He gets written about like he's some feel good walk-on white dude story - he's "solid", "unselfish", "hustles", "plays the game the right way", etc. But he was supposed to be good, not just gritty. I don't think he's even made a 3 this season.

Yeah, I would classify him as a pretty big bust. He gets a lot of love for whatever reason, but he's just too passive to be really good. He gets written about like he's some feel good walk-on white dude story - he's "solid", "unselfish", "hustles", "plays the game the right way", etc. But he was supposed to be good, not just gritty. I don't think he's even made a 3 this season.

In his defense, he was Mr. Basketball of South Dakota. I'd have to imagine there are kids in NY, Illinois, Texas, California, etc. who aren't even all-state but are more talented than him. Also, his first two seasons he's averaged 16 and 20 minutes, not exactly a ton of playing time. He also isn't asked to be a big scorer. Obviously he'll need to step up this year on the scoring front, but I think it's unfair to judge him that way his first two years when he was at best their 5th or 6th scoring option.

Edit: Also has 17 assists to 4 turnovers. He's only had two games where he played considerable minutes, one of them Georgia when he was 13,6 and 5. The other one was Duke but obviously no one played too well then.

Six games in to his first season where he is even expected to be relied on scoring wise, and he's a pretty big bust? That's ridiculous. I agree that he DEFINITELY needs to be more assertive, and needed to be last year, but he's a very good player, and has been since for two years already. There's a lot more to basketball than scoring.

I guess, to me, if you're a pretty highly touted recruit, you should force your way into a significant role before your Junior season. He just has not had a significant impact in my mind, and I'm aware that there is more to the game than scoring.

Like I said, I agree he needs to be more assertive, but before this year where was he going to get his shots? He'll be fine. His numbers will go up once he stops sitting out the second half of blowouts (or playing Duke http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif). But really, there's still players out there that are going to be scoring options before Krabbenhoft...Butch, Hughes, and Landry. To me, Landry is more frustrating as far as making an impact than Krabbenhoft. Krabbenhoft rarely has nights where he doesn't contribute in some facet. Landry just disappears a lot.

EDIT: So I agree that Krabbenhoft's offensive output isn't where I thought it'd be, so we agree there...I just think that with Tucker, Taylor, and Butch last year, he wasn't even supposed to score. And when those guys went cold, or were triple teamed, it showed, because it seems like Krabbenhoft doesn't want to...so we agree, I just wouldn't call him a bust by any means.

I don't think Joe K. is a bust, because he does have a good basketball IQ, and he fills up the other columns on the box score. I don't think he had a good game against Duke in that respect either, though; when's the last time you remember Krabbenhoft only having one offensive rebound? My biggest complaint with Joe K. is that he was billed as an offensive guy (I still remember Steve Lavin hyping him up as someone that Badger fans were going to love after he committed to UW), and he hasn't even really shown flashes of that potential.

Landry has shown that kind of potential, but he just too timid offensively. He has a solid outside shot, and enough size/quickness to be a problem matchup on the post. I just don't get how he can be such a non-factor (if not a detriment, based on the turnovers) in these games.

I remember someone comparing him to Mike Miller (went to Florida for a year, then turned pro for some reason, now plays for Orlando I think) when Krabby came out of high school.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I remember someone comparing him to Mike Miller (went to Florida for a year, then turned pro for some reason, now plays for Orlando I think) when Krabby came out of high school.

Miller's also from South Dakota so maybe that's why, I'm really not sure. Plus not to nitpick but I think Miller was at Florida for two years.

Yeah, it was a joke.

Archived