Brewer Fanatic

Wisconsin Badgers Basketball

TwinsBrewersWorldSeries
  • Replies 838
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Seriously, google a breakdown of the swing offense (or buy the Bo DVD) and then watch how the players carry it out during the game. It's a thing of beauty.

Why is it that every time someone calls the Badgers style boring it must be because they don't understand the offense?

I understand how the offense works fellas and I know that it's been effective, it's just not the type of basketball I prefer to watch.

Small ball in baseball and football teams that employ the grind it out offense have been successful too, I just don't like to watch them in action.

i was comparing the teams on paper. i really dont care about athleticism...we saw what happened to the "more athletic team" yesterday.

GU leading scorers: 13.6, 11.2, 10.7

UW leading scorers: 12.4, 11.6, 10.9

GU points scored/allowed: 69.6/57.6

UW points scored/allowed: 67.6/53.9

taking into account the 2 games more UW has played, they actually have taken about the same number of shots. (51.6 to 52.1 per game).

random side stat...the badgers have taken the exact same number of shots as their opponent through 35 games...odd.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Some additional UW, GU notes:

GU actually plays at a slower pace than UW

GU has a more efficient offense than UW - meaning they score more per possession than UW.

GU has a great D - but not as good as UWs. GU allows slightly more points per possession than UW.

Taking the difference between offensive effciency and defensive efficiency, UW has the edge which usually means a victory (assuming they play GU). I would expect a lowscoring affair with UW winning 62 - 58.

(And for those who read Ken Pomeroy's stuff which is where I got the above info, he has UW ending up as his national champion. That's some haughty praise from the Bill James of college hoops statistical analysis).

http://basketballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=261

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

http://kenpom.com/stats.php

Davidson plays a lot faster than UW (measured by possessions per game they are at 68.4 anmd UW is at 62.3) but not breakneck like say Tennessee or UNC.

They also are relatively efficient offensively and play OK D.

Ken Pomeroy has them ranked #33 - that includes yesterdays games.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Time for Mr Flowers to meet Mr Curry.

Hopefully the 4 days off cools off Curry's jumpshot. Wow, what a huge couple of games by that guy.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

If Wisconsin wants to shut down Curry they better look at the game film against UCLA. They held him to 15 points his 2nd lowest total of the year. Against North Carolina he had 24 in a 4 point loss and 20 against Duke in a 6 point loss. This kid is a stud, Wisconsin better hope they don't pull a defensive performance like they had against Akognon. Should be a good game though even though I'm pulling for Davidson, haha sorry.

Wisconsin better hope they don't pull a defensive performance like they had against Akognon.

I'm pretty sure they won't mind at all if Curry insists upon continuously shooting 26-footers eight seconds into the shot clock.

Bo wins with his guys doing it his own way. It's amazingly boring to watch but it's been effective as heck.

Watching Dick Bennett was boring. I enjoy watching Bo's teams. Don't do anything to hurt themselves: few turnovers, smart shot selection, good D. I don't follow Marquette, but I caught the last ten minutes of their game. If I had to watch Crean's team everytime, I would go nuts. Not too much poise down the strech and some questionable shot selections.

I'm a fan of both Wisconsin and Marquette equally, when they play each other the game is a bit boring for me because i don't cheer for either one. I do find Marquette's style of play a bit more exciting, but in the end, what i find most exciting is winning games.

The Badgers under Bennett were painful to watch at times, i'd cringe a bit during those national TV games where the score would be something like 21-19 at halftime. I like most when the Badgers under Ryan are matched up against a team that really loves to run, the contrasting styles make for an entertaining game to see who can dictate tempo.

Gotta hand it to Ryan. I figured the Badgers would be better than must national pundit thought, but no way did i expect 31-4 and a Big Ten title.

In 2005 when UW made the Elite 8, they beat an 11, a 14 and then a 10, then lost in a close high scoring game to a 1 seed. Hopefully they'll repeat themselves through the first three rounds http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

It didn't take long for people to start pointing the finger at UW as the next high seed to fall. On a side note, Phelps and Lavin are really starting to annoy me, I never thought I'd say this but more Knight please thanks.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

In 2005 when UW made the Elite 8, they beat an 11, a 14 and then a 10, then lost in a close high scoring game to a 1 seed.

Yeah -- I remember they met up with a smoking hot Bucknell team.

Ah yeah, and then the surprise 10 seed led by one premiere scorer - Julius Hodge. (Though, a SF rather than a SG)

http://assets.espn.go.com/i/pkg/05NBAdraft/250/18757.jpg

Curry is probably one of the best three or four guards UW has seen this season, at least offensively. Everyone is going to focus on Flowers vs. Curry, but an equally important match-up will be Hughes vs. Richards.

I believe it was Brett who said Beasley could get 40 and the Badgers could still win, and the same thinking probably applies here. It's quite possible that Flowers holds Curry to 15 points or so, but even if Curry goes off for 35 or something the Badgers should still be able to win if they win the rest of their match-ups.

Remember when Chris Paul punched Julius Hodge in the junk?

Yep. Funny how people seem to forget these things if a guy becomes an all-world player.

Gtown was up huge on Davidson and then let them back in it and obviously Davidson won. If the Badgers get up big, I don't see Davidson being able to come back on them. A 15 point WI lead might as well be 25 with the way the Badgers play on D and the way they take care of the ball.

GTown is/was almost equal to UW defensively. Curry was making everything he took in that second half and outscored G'Town by himself from the 14 minute mark to the end of the game.

Gtown was up huge on Davidson and then let them back in it and obviously Davidson won. If the Badgers get up big, I don't see Davidson being able to come back on them. A 15 point WI lead might as well be 25 with the way the Badgers play on D and the way they take care of the ball.

In the second half Georgetown got lost covering Curry and the kid got off with his quick release. The nation will be introduced to Michael Flowers Friday night while he shows them how hard he works on defense. I want to see Curry cover some post ups. This is getting very exciting!

BTW not to jinx but I have tix to the second Brewer home game Sat at noon so hopefully the Final Four starts late afternoon. Go Bucky

I'm not only talking about D. WI doesn't take bad shots, or they are few and far between. They hold the ball for the full shot clock and don't turn the ball over. That is a key part in when they get up big its very tough to come back on them.

It took almost a superhuman effort from Curry for Davidson to win that game. I know that UW and G'town play similar defense (and execute it as good as), but *IF* UW gets up 15 or so, luck has to run out at some point. I'm not saying it's impossible for Davidson to beat UW or come back from a big deficit and win, but it's just like any sport, you can't play from behind every game and expect success.

Other keys to Davidson' s victory were the fact that Georgetown had 16 more turnovers and shot 13 fewer free throws. I don't think either will be the case against the Badgers.

I think pretty much everything has to wrong for Davidson to win. Flowers & Hughes need to go cold, Butch & Stiemsma need to get into foul trouble, Wisconsin has to have 15+ turnovers, Stephen Curry needs to go for 30+. All those things actually occured in the Georgetown game, but can lightning hit twice. If UW stays out of foul trouble, has 10 or less turnovers and has at least one guy shooting the ball well, well win.

Archived