Brewer Fanatic

Wisconsin Badgers Basketball

TwinsBrewersWorldSeries
  • Replies 838
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No he won't get tons of minutes, but he'll fill in a few very important minutes each game. He'll be a good matchup guy with his size also. I think recruiting in the program has gotten to the point where unless you are a big who needs body development, you won't be redshirting. If you're good enough you'll play as a freshman, if your not, you'll be recruited over in 4 years.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I think the only way he'll get minutes is if someone gets hurt. Probably not the wisest reason to give up your redshirt.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I know it is supposed to be up to the player, but like I said, I don't think Bo and staff really care to have guys redshirt. If you are good enough to play you will play as a freshman, if not, you will probably be recruited over in years to come. Thats how it is. Name a UW guard since Bo's been here who has been a very important 5th year player. Tucker had an injury RS, so he won't count. Taylor done in 4, Flowers in 4, Harris in 3, Penny in 4. If you are a 5th year non-big player usually you got hurt or you just aren't that good.

You don't red-shirt perimeter players. Occasionally, you might red-shirt a big if you feel that they are going to be significantly better as a fifth year senior. Bigs take much longer to develop than perimeter players. It's also a gamble to red-shirt players with only 13 scholarships. If you lose a player or two due to injury or transfer, you can find yourself with a mighty short bench. Jarmusz will find himself working harder in practice because he could break into the playing rotation. There's not a lot of incentive to work real hard in practice during a red-shirt season.

When it comes time for Jarmusz to graduate, there will also be plenty of other talented players for Coach Ryan to bring in. It didn't hurt Wisconsin when Taylor didn't red-shirt, even though he saw basically zero significant minutes as a freshman. It didn't hurt Wisconsin when Hughes didn't red-shirt, as Pop saw limited significant minutes last season. Jarmusz not red-shirting will also not hurt the program.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Once you declare a redshirt, can you give it up if the team needs you? Is there a precedent for that?
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

A redshirt is a decision you can rescind. If you redshirt, and somehow, you end up playing a minute or two, you lose it.

In fact, there have been cases where a redshirted player has ended up in the box score due to scorekeeper's error, and teams have had to "prove" it by presenting game tapes and such.

you actually do not even have to declare a redshirt as far as i know. all you are doing is not playing in any games, thus not using up a year of eligibility.

as for jarmusz, it is rumored that he is working his way back up the rotation after falling out due to the injuries.

Yeah, you don't really declare a redshirt. You don't play all year and then you have redshirted. I think you might even have to apply for a redshirt season once the year is over.

I agree, for Jarmusz a redshirt year would probably have been best. For the UW program, it wouldn't have.

I completely forgot the game was on. Just looked at the box score. Nice to see a comeback after trailing by 9. Hughes with a bad shooting night, same with Butch but from the looks of the box score Butch contributed big time in rebounding grabbing 13.

Krabbenhoft looked like he had a nice game.

And I'd like to add that while we may not be the most exciting team to watch I sure do like watching this team run it's offense and play defense as well.

Archived