Brewer Fanatic

Wisconsin Badgers Basketball

TwinsBrewersWorldSeries
http://assets.espn.go.com/media/apphoto/7e412349-6675-4ece-9193-f83659b30255.jpg

Michigan State guard Drew Neitzel, far right, reacts after missing the last shot as the buzzer goes off at the end of the semifinal against Wisconsin in the Big Ten Conference men's basketball tournament in Indianapolis, Saturday, March 15, 2008. Wisconsin beat Michigan State, 65-63. (AP Photo/Darron Cummings)

It wasn't pretty, but for the time being I'll just enjoy this photo and caption.

• Replies 838
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can we just forfeit this meaningless game before we lose anyone else for the season?

i cant let this one get by. still want the forfeit? http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Yeah, I know. But the thing is if they don't have Hughes for the tournament they're really going to be hurting. Not because he's that good as much as there's a big drop-off. Who will handle the ball? What if Flowers gets in foul trouble? Teams would press them like crazy.

I am wondering if a major-conference team with four losses has ever gotten worse than a two seed. I look forward to making history in that regard.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

"JBo missed one badly yesterday too, way short. Maybe it's just a problem with the backdrop there. "

Didn't seem to bother Krabbenhoft - he was 9 of 10.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Yeah, I know. But the thing is if they don't have Hughes for the tournament they're really going to be hurting. Not because he's that good as much as there's a big drop-off. Who will handle the ball? What if Flowers gets in foul trouble? Teams would press them like crazy.

Hughes rolled his ankle. Look at how many injuries have happened in games this year... Hughes has rolled his ankle multiple times, but besides that, none. Look at how many injuries have happened in practice... Hughes initially hurt his ankle in practice, Bohannon rolled his ankle, Leuer rolled his ankle, Jarmusz hurt his knee. So should they cancel practice as well? Maybe just have them sit in their rooms all week so they don't risk slipping on ice, or getting a piece of dust in their eye. Injuries happen... it's part of the game. Hughes could have just as easily rolled his ankle in practice today after we forfeited yesterdays game.

And if a team changes their philosophy to press us, I'd like to think they will get blown out. A team, unless desperate, is not going to pull something out of the bags they haven't done all year. If a team has shown they will press in the past, they will. If a team hasn't, they aren't going to say "Wow, lets teach the team how to press in the 3(or 1) days before we play Wisconsin because they have nobody that can dribble." That's asking for trouble.

In any case, I was just looking at Joe Lunardi's Bracketology, and he has UW as a 2 seed and I'm shocked at who we jumped. Believe it or not, we jumped Duke! I think we should get a 2 seed over Duke, but I don't know if I want that to happen. I would much rather UW get a 3 and have Georgetown in our bracket as the 2, than currently having us as a 2 and Duke as the 3 in the bracket. I think the Badgers can beat Duke, but it's just a bad matchup against them. I like our chances much more against Georgetown.

Even with Georgetown losing tonight, I think they get the last 2 seed ahead of Wisconsin.

I think Georgetown losing at least opens the door to a 2 for Wisconsin. They'll have to blow out Illinois today like they should to get it, though. If it's even within 5 at the end, they'll be a 3.

So should they cancel practice as well? Maybe just have them sit in their rooms all week so they don't risk slipping on ice, or getting a piece of dust in their eye. Injuries happen... it's part of the game. Hughes could have just as easily rolled his ankle in practice today after we forfeited yesterdays game.

Just to be clear, I wasn't literally suggesting that Bo should have called his players off the court in the second half and forfeited the game. I was just saying it was a meaningless game and I hated to see a key player injured during it.

I was pleasantly surprised by Lunardi's bracket as well. I don't feel there is much of a difference between a 2 or 3, but I think getting the 2 would avoid a match-up with Wazzu in the second round. I'd like to do that if at all possible.

Anyone else really looking forward to the tourney this year? I mean, more than usual. It seems like there are about 10 teams that could win the whole thing - which is about 5 more than usual and about 9 more than the last two years.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

FTJ-- Yeah, there will probably be a 4 loss major conference team with a 3 seed, which is pretty crazy. While there is no heavy favorite this year, a resume put in by Wisconsin, Texas, Georgetown or Duke would be enough for a 1 seed in some years.

And yeah, I am looking forward to the tournament more than most years because I think we have a solid shot at getting both of our in-state teams to the Sweet 16. I also think there's at least a chance that Wisconsin could make a deep run to the final four.

Dave Heller made an interesting point on the JS blog:

Also, I think UW will be a 3 seed. The committee certainly won't say it, but the closest Wisconsin could play in the first two rounds is in Omaha and I think the committee will send the Badgers there because of it. No 2 seed will be in Omaha, but a 3 will. That is also in the Midwest (Detroit) region. It all adds up (the 2 seed in the Midwest is in Charlotte).

Whether it's mentally healthy or not, I approach the selection show each year with an assumption that the Badgers will be dissed somehow.

If they get what fans think is the 'deserved' higher seed, they'll 'pay' for it with an unfavorable site and/or an especially challenging matchup (or likely 2nd round matchup). Even with a lower seed, I wouldn't rule out a site or matchup hassle.

So I guess I feel prepared for whatever the selection committee reveals this afternoon.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I just want the Badgers game to be on NOW!! I've been able to follow the team on and off this year, but have made sure to watch all their games this weekend. I really love how well they are playing right now. It seemed last year that the ball would go to Alando and everyone else would stand there. They really seem to have the TEAM concept down this year. I really think Sweet 16 is going to be at least where they end up this year!

I'm still shocked Hughes can even start. The way he was rolling around I thought he got his achilles slit, a la Hostel.

Hawing, I'm with you. Since the Devin Harris-led team got the 6 seed, it's impossible for me to be optimistic. That way it's a pleasant surprise if they get the seeding/region they deserve.

I'm really confused as to why the announcers think that Marcus Landry would be slow. He doesn't have a real big muscular build, which you make you think he's slow, but he's quick! And especially the way he just got back and blocked Randle's shot.

Archived