Brewer Fanatic

Wisconsin Badgers Basketball

TwinsBrewersWorldSeries

The worst is that they don't even ask these people to explain/justify their choices. Of course if they did he'd have no way to justify some of those ridiculous rankings.

I'm beginning to think Sean Salisbury was right. ESPN just values a guy because he played a sport rather then because he knows what he's talking about.

• Replies 838
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
One thing that has me really excited about the tourney compared to last year is the Badgers really seem to be hitting their stride right now. Last year, you could just tell going in, especially with Butch being out, that they were ripe for an upset. They weren't playing well overall, even though they were winning games, you could see they were just "off". I don't get that feeling at all this year, and I'm confident that we could be seeing at least a run to the regional finals.

How does Hubert Davis have a job analyzing college basketball? On ESPN's Power 16, 12 guys rank their top 16 and then they take the composite rankings. Wisconsin's 12 overall, mostly because Davis doesn't have them ranked at all in the top 16. Drake, Gonzaga, and MSU are in it. Everyone else has them 9-12 (Gottlieb even has them 11). The biggest joke is that he has Memphis as the 7th ranked team.

I saw this too, and it really irked me. Not that the Power 16 matters for anything, but it's supposed to be CBB experts from ESPN ranking teams, so us fans can get expert opinion on the games. Not even ranking us in the top 16 is just silly, especially when you see the rest of his rankings. How exactly is MSU the 12th best team and we're not even ranked....oh that's right, they beat us last week...oh wait....

At least the rest of them are respectable, even Gottleib, which is saying quite a lot.

I'm beginning to think Sean Salisbury was right. ESPN just values a guy because he played a sport rather then because he knows what he's talking about.

ESPN sucks, but Sean Salisbury might have been the worst one of them all. I can't wait to see where he takes his "brand."

Oh I'm not saying Sean Salisbury was great or anything. I just think there is something to his opinion that ESPN puts more stock into what you did as a player than whether you provide anything of value at all as an analyst.

Ken Pomeroy has UW #3 in the country. I think a 2 seed is a definite possibility if they don't lay an egg against NU or in the tourney.

http://kenpom.com/stats.php

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Oh I'm not saying Sean Salisbury was great or anything. I just think there is something to his opinion that ESPN puts more stock into what you did as a player than whether you provide anything of value at all as an analyst.

Not to hijack the thread, and maybe this needs it's own thread, but this is becoming a trend on ESPN. It really is starting to seem like they just simply don't treat their employees all that well unless you are an ex-player. Dan Patrick said similar things when he left: That he felt he had topped out at ESPN and felt underpaid. Keith Olberman...same thing. I think both wanted to stay at ESPN but felt disrespected...Sean Salisbury is just another in that line of thinking (though personally, I'm glad that he's gone).

UW up to a #2 seed in the latest Bracketology. Playing in the East Regional, first round games in Omaha. Of course, they're in the same bracket as UNC, so I assume that we are the lowest of the #2's and probably need to win out to maintain that. It would also be an absolute nightmare of mine to have to face UNC in the tournament again, as they're my 2 favorite teams - by far. Though of course, I'd cheer for the Badgers.

Diamond Taylor, a 4 star, 6'3" shooting guard recruit committed to the Badgers the other day, joining Mike Bruesewitz (sp?) a supposed Joe Krabbenhoft clone for 2009. One spot left, and Jamil Wilson apparently is down to Wiscy and Marquette.

I know this guy is a junior and would be available in the 09-10 season, but would Ryan and Co., if they aren't already, go after Jeronne Maymon from Madison Memorial, as he reminds me of Brian Butch, only without the three point shot.

UW up to a #2 seed in the latest Bracketology. Playing in the East Regional, first round games in Omaha. Of course, they're in the same bracket as UNC, so I assume that we are the lowest of the #2's and probably need to win out to maintain that. It would also be an absolute nightmare of mine to have to face UNC in the tournament again, as they're my 2 favorite teams - by far. Though of course, I'd cheer for the Badgers.

eek. Allegiance to a North carolina Basketball team? Blasphemy.

eek. Allegiance to a North carolina Basketball team? Blasphemy.

clearly he cheers for the house in blackjack.! stupid UNC and Duke. ie. NYY Boston

I'd obviously love for Wisconsin to get a 2 seed, but I'm still not convinced they'd get it even if they win out through the BT Tourney. Looking at teams ahead of them/competing with them for top seeds, these are the amount of wins against the RPI Top 50:

Texas-10

Louisville-9

UCLA-8

UNC-7

Memphis-7

Duke-6

Xavier-6

Kansas-5

Wisconsin-4

Granted this isn't the only criteria (plus Wis doesn't have any "bad losses") but it's probably a pretty big one. At most Wisconsin could get two more, with MSU in the semis, and then either Purdue or Indiana in the final. The tournaments also in Indianapolis, so that doesn't exactly help. Plus, all the other teams have either a better RPI or SOS, or both. If Louisville wins the Big East, I'd have a hard time putting Wisconsin as a 2 seed. I guess the only way is if Xavier loses in the A-10 tourney, then I'd put Wisconsin ahead of them.

I may still be thinking about last year, but I believe that this team gets upset in the first round. I don't see Wisconsin getting a two seed, like most say, because I don't see them winning the Big Ten Tourney, but if they do win it, that could change. I believe that there are too many teams that can match-up against the Badgers.

I would be willing to wager on that first round exit, zachjack.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

This team is better this year than they were last year. The reason is simple, they are not dependent on Alando Tucker and even more importantly they are not dependent on Kammron Taylor. After Butch went down last year, those two guys were their only offensive options. If they were off? The Badgers didn't stand a chance.

This year, they might struggle to score in stretches, but Tucker and Taylor (thank God for Taylor) are gone and everyone knows it. Better yet, they've been growing all year and getting better all year. The Duke and Marquette games? This isn't the same team. Now, I'm not saying they'd go down to Cameron and beat Duke right now, but well, you get it.

It may sound simple, but they have enough offense if they play defense the way they do night in and night out. Of course if some team comes in and lights it up shooting 60% from 3 pt. range they're probably in trouble...but who wouldn't be? First round exit? No freaking way.

i bet we get WSU in the 2nd round.

I've seen in a lot of bracket predictions, well just ESPN and SI's, that they would be matched up. That would really suck cause Wazzu is my favorite team outside the state, plus they'd match up really will with Wisconsin.

Archived