Brewer Fanatic

Wisconsin Badgers Basketball

TwinsBrewersWorldSeries
  • Replies 838
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So I guess I am the only one that hates the Polar Bear nickname. They beat the stupid thing to death!!!

I guess Wisconsin cant win. Either we complain that we get no national attention and are underrated and/or underappreciated or ESPN comes to town, praises Madison and has fun with a player nickname and now we think it is annoying.

how did he get the nickname? Lavin gave it to him but how did it come about? Polar Bears are fast, and mean aren't they? Butch is neither. He kinda looks like a skinny polar bear....either way, I like the nickname, and I thought it was awesome how Erin said, thanks to the polar bear after her interview.

I think it's from his large frame, & slow/loping movements. I know polar bears are actually very fast, but they're so big they give the impression of lumbering along slowly when they run. Say what you want about Butch, but he's definitely tough. Mean, perhaps not...http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I like the nickname, too. They do beat it to death, though... I sometimes think Lavin can't believe how popular the moniker became, so he feels like it's... gold, Jerry!

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

the lack of the ability to create a somewhat decent shot when the shotclock is winding down is a bit concerning (this happened at least 8 times last night and I don't think we scored on any of those possessions)

Problem is, it wasn't just last night - this is the 2007-08 Badgers' achilles heel. Basically, it comes down to which guy you want taking a random jumper - Butch, Hughes (my personal vote), Flowers, or maybe Bohannon - but he doesn't creat his own shot off the dribble that well. For a rushed j, I think Krabby deserves some consideration too, just 'cause he's Joe Cool, though.

Something very similar has been bothering me the last couple games. I don't know if it's Ryan's teaching, or players to be too unselfish, but I've seen players give up possible lay-ups/free throws to kick it out for a 3-point shot. Last night it was Krabbenhoft that did it a couple times, and against Ohio State and Illinois Hughes did it a lot.

Last night, Krabbenhoft picked up a loose ball and had a 1 on 1 break with Neitzel back on D, and a UW player trailing. Instead of taking it at Neitzel for a layup or foul, Joe threw a pass back to the trailing UW player(I don't remember who it was). The pass ended up being a horrible pass and a forced shot and miss. Another time Joe beat his guy off the dribble and had a clear lane to the rim, and instead kicked it out to a player behind the 3-point line.

And in the previous couple games, not so much against MSU because they hedged the screen hard, but Hughes seems to not want to get to the rim. They run the high pick and pop/roll, and Hughes seems to be content taking the screen and then either swinging the ball, or backing out with the dribble. Neither OSU or Illinois hedged the screen hard, and Hughes could have gotten into the lane easily either for a layup, a foul, or a pass to an open big.

I just think the Badgers need to be able to get to the rim more often to be successful in the tournament. There is going to be a game where their 3's aren't falling, and that will be the downfall. I like that the team is unselfish, but they are almost unselfish to a fault. If you can get a layup, take it.

I agree dmiles. Krabbenhoft is great, but he has to want to score sometimes! That breakaway on Neitzel should have been an easy bucket. It seems when Krabbenhoft is forced to shoot (shot clock) he does well, he just doesn't seem to want to score. And again, I still think he's a great player. He might be an All American if he had more of a scorer's mentality...that might come next year http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Dmiles23 wrote:

Last night, Krabbenhoft picked up a loose ball and had a 1 on 1 break with Neitzel back on D, and a UW player trailing. Instead of taking it at Neitzel for a layup or foul, Joe threw a pass back to the trailing UW player(I don't remember who it was). The pass ended up being a horrible pass and a forced shot and miss.

This was pretty much embarrassing. I couldn't believe he didn't go to the basket. The only complaint about Krabbenhoft is that he is too timid with the ball most of the time.

he should of made a poster out of Neitzel on that play. I guess thats why I'm down on Butch even though I know I shouldn't be. I just wish he was more tough down low, take it hard to the hoop, dunk on people. He just doesn't do it, its not his game. I wish that were the case for most of the bigs on WI. When they dunk its like wow, did I just see that?

he should of made a poster out of Neitzel on that play. I guess thats why I'm down on Butch even though I know I shouldn't be. I just wish he was more tough down low, take it hard to the hoop, dunk on people. He just doesn't do it, its not his game. I wish that were the case for most of the bigs on WI. When they dunk its like wow, did I just see that?

He tried to make a poster late in the 2nd half, but tripped over his own shoelace. I still can't believe that he has never dunked the ball in a college game. He is too big and strong to not get a couple of dunks per game.

I just wish he was more tough down low, take it hard to the hoop, dunk on people. He just doesn't do it, its not his game.

I've seen him try (both in person & on TV)... it ain't pretty. Has to have one of the worst verticals in the history of basketball for a man/bear his size. Also, been thinkin' about the 'how did he get the nickname' question... the ears have to play a role.

White bears can't jump!

http://www.thewe.cc/thewei/_/arctic/polar_bear_jumps.jpe

http://www.smwireless.net/~theman/Graphics/JumpingPolarBear.jpg

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I'm not surprised when Stiemsma throws it down. http://graphics.jsonline.com/graphics/badger/img/nov05/uw1126.jpg

When I heard Krabbenhoft (edit, my bad I said Butch) has never dunked in a college game, I thought it was a joke at first.

Everyone better be, gulp, rooting hard for the Spartans on Sunday, then the Buckeyes on Tuesday!

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Wait, are we talking about Butch or Krabbenhoft? Which one has never dunked?
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I saw that too, MSU has more points at the 5 minute mark in the first half than they had in the entire game against Wisconsin!! Certainly just one of those games as IU beat MSU by 19 earlier this year, but that should make our win over MSU by 15 the other night that much more impressive in the voters minds...

I can hear it now. "Wisconsin's two wins over Indiana suddenly don't look so impressive. Meanwhile, after an amazing offensive showing, Michigan State looks like, as usual, they are primed and ready to make a deep run in March."

It's funny how one game (MSU pounding IU) seems to completely overshadow another game this week (UW handling MSU by 15). I'm curious to see the rankings today...

Also, what are the odds that OSU can actually get it's act together and get the big win they need against Purdue this week? If not, we have to rely on Michigan...ugh. I can't complain too much though...just win our games, games we should win, and at worst share the Big Ten title.

Badgers up to 8 in the USA poll. Too bad Washington St. couldn't have knocked off Stanford. Still, if Wisconsin can win up until the Big 10 Tourny Final they should have a good shot at a 2 seed.

Interestingly, Marquette moved up a spot despite that gift they gave Georgetown.

In the USA today poll, anyone else find it odd that Indiana is still ranked ahead of MSU? I think IU has the better team, but if the teams were very close together going into the week, and MSU crushes IU, wouldn't you put MSU ahead of IU on your ballot?

Archived