Brewer Fanatic

Wisconsin Badgers Basketball

TwinsBrewersWorldSeries

I love this quote from that article:

"You're looking at, potentially two Big Ten All-Defensive Team players with those two guards. The problem is you get by those guards and you run into 6-11, 6-11, 6-11, 6-11, 6-11, 6-11, 6-11 and 6-11." IPFW coach Dane Fife on Michael Flowers, Trevon Hughes and the Badgers' defense.

• Replies 838
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For those without the big ten network, like me, the highlights on big ten network's web site capture several nice plays from Hughes. His finishing ability at the rim is special. His jump shot is pure. I think we all saw the flashes last year in his limited time but I think this kid is going to be extremely good. Was he a big time recruit coming out of high school or just a diamond in the rough that Bo found?

He was a pretty big-time recruit, but I personally wouldn't go as far as to call his jumpshot "pure." He looks to be a streaky shooter to me, which is fine given his defensive value & other offensive skills.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Yeah, I would say his jump shot is the one piece of his game that can't be called "solid" yet. He hasn't proven that he has made that improvement yet anyway.

Hughes was a major get. 4 star guy the same year that Jerry Smith went to Louisville. He's originally from Queens but ended up at St. John's military academy in WI for whatever reason.

Tim Jarmusz did play at the end of tonight's drama-free (79-32) Wisconsin victory over the Tigers of Savannah State. The Badgers scored the first 17 points and never looked back.

I made sure to think of sweet pepper and egg sandwiches once when Trevon had the ball. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/tongue.gif

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

As the joke from a couple of weeks ago goes..if the Badgers make a big play but it was on the Big Ten Network and no one saw it, did it really happen?

I was fortunate to be there (full season tickets, row AA http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif), so my favorites from last night:

- Trevon Hughes blowing by two defenders and dishing it to Landry for a dunk. One of the guys challenged him to dribble by him, and he literally was stumbling to the floor trying to catch up.

- Krabbenhoft's sweet spin move in the lane and the finish. Didn't know he had that nimbleness in him.

- The contestant that did the karaoke thing at halftime was pretty good.

One thing I don't like about Bo Ryan is that the starters always seem to be in the game WAY too long. Take last night for example. Badgers are up 40+ points with 8 minutes to go...keep in mind that they also have games scheduled both today and tomorrow.

Players on the floor: Butch, Steimsma, Hughes, Bohannon, and I can't remember the 5th

Why would these players not only be resting for the next two days, but this would be a prime opportunity for some lengthy game time for players like Caine and Bronson. It's not a huge deal, but there is just no reason for them to be playing. This seems to be the case in every blowout, the starters just play too long and sooner or later we could get burned with an injury.

I agree with ya, brwrsfan. Ryan's been doing this since day one at UW, and in all likelihood well before that. I don't love it either, and it's twofold. 1) Get the scrubs some PT - they deserve it. They work their butts off too. 2) Injuries are not likely, but also not worth risking.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Yikes purple with some orange and a bright sheen.

It looked like royal blue to me, not purple. The jerseys they wore last night had a lot of black in them too, much like the Mets' color scheme.

Their warmup jerseys had way too much orange for my taste, though.

Don't worry, bb4l. You've added to the bf.net lexicon. Sweet pepper and egg sandwich!

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

One thing I don't like about Bo Ryan is that the starters always seem to be in the game WAY too long. Take last night for example. Badgers are up 40+ points with 8 minutes to go...keep in mind that they also have games scheduled both today and tomorrow.
they all only played about 25 minutes though...i think the highest minute total was 26 last night.

It's not so much the minutes they played, it's more when they played them I guess. Those minutes should have been filled by the end of the bench guys (IMO). It just seems more beneficial to give them the experience (who knows, we may need them at some point this year) and also minimizes the risk of injury to the starters.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
This team needs to get some experience together. I don't mind Bo doing this in a non conference game early in the year. It's not like they are running 5 seniors out there that have been in the program for four years.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

They dominated FAMU tonight. 88-40, FAMU kept it close for the first 5 minutes but then Wisconsin just took over. Bohannon was on fire and Landry was pretty good on offense in the first half. All 15 players played and they even got a walk on some time.

No doubt there'd be a lot more upsets if games were 5-10 minutes long.http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Good to see even the kid added to the team got to play.

Sadly, Jarmusz decided playing about 50 minutes total this year was better than being a contributor as a 5th year senior. I s'pose it is hard to think long-term when you're 18.

Archived