Brewer Fanatic

Wisconsin Badgers Basketball

TwinsBrewersWorldSeries

Big game tonight for UW. If they win they'll be tied for 1st with Purdue, although obviously Purdue would receieve the 1 seed in the BTT if it started. Like Mackey Arena, Wisconsin usually struggles at Illinois's Assembly Hall. The Illini haven't been that great considering they're 3-10 in conference, but they usually play close games even in losses, ie both IU games.

Off topic, but Marqutte's on ESPN tonight at 6:00. Their next two games (@SJU, Rutgers) are pretty winnable, so hopefully they can keep up the streak. If they can win the next couple they should be able to solidify themselves in 5th place and break away from Pitt, WVU, and Syracuse.

• Replies 838
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Big game tonight for UW. If they win they'll be tied for 1st with Purdue, although obviously Purdue would receieve the 1 seed in the BTT if it started.

Purdue, Indiana, and UW all have two Big Ten losses. How is the 1 seed determined in the case of a three-way tie? Purdue swept UW who swept Indiana who beat Purdue in the only game they'll play this year.

in the case of a three-way tie? Purdue swept UW who swept Indiana who beat Purdue in the only game they'll play this year.

http://bigten.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/100606aae.html

• A. When comparing records against a single team or a group of teams, the higher winning percentage shall prevail, even if the number of games played against the team or group are unequal (i.e., 2-0 is better than 3-1); in the case of tied percentages vs. the team or group of 1.000 or .000 the following shall apply: 2-0 is better than 1-0; 0-1 is better than 0-2.
  • B. After the top team among the tied teams is determined, the second team is ranked by its record among the original tied teams, not the head-to-head record vs. the remaining team(s).

Considering that Wisconsin is done playing Purdue and Indiana in the regular season, I just became a huge Ohio State fan for these final 2 weeks since the Buckeyes get a crack at both teams. Indiana still has to travel to Michigan State as well. It would appear that those two teams have the best chance of knocking off Purdue/Indiana.

So what do you guys think?

Does Wisconsin/Purdue/Indiana running the table and making it to the Big 10 championship game lock up a 2 seed?

Are we looking at a 2, 3, and 4 seed in whatever order for UW/Purdue/Indiana? Do you think any of those three teams drops to a 5 or 6 seed?

I'd be pretty shocked if Wisconsin gets a 2 seed. They're 3-4 against teams that are going to be in the tournament. They'd be competing for the spot against teams like UCLA, UNC, Standford, Texas (UW beat them, but Texas beat UCLA, Kansas, and Tenn, hard to argue with that). Plus there's teams like G'Town, Louisville, UConn, and so on. I'd guess all of UW, IU, and Purdue will be anywhere from 3-6, and UW probably about a 4ish.

Wisconsin still has a shot at a 2 seed. First off, the other teams could certainly lose a couple games. Secondly, Wisconsin will still play a minimum of 2 RPI top 50 teams in Michigan St and Ohio St. Winning both of those games puts them at 5-4 against the RPI top 50. Couple that with a run in the Big Ten tourney and who knows. Say they wind up the 2 seed...could have Indiana in the second round and Purdue in the final, that would be 2 more huge wins. I think that would put them right in the mix. It also irks me how our win at Texas seems to get overlooked on cbs, espn, etc. That's a huge road win for any team.

Glennron wrote:

http://bigten.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/100606aae.html

• A. When comparing records against a single team or a group of teams, the higher winning percentage shall prevail, even if the number of games played against the team or group are unequal (i.e., 2-0 is better than 3-1); in the case of tied percentages vs. the team or group of 1.000 or .000 the following shall apply: 2-0 is better than 1-0; 0-1 is better than 0-2.
  • B. After the top team among the tied teams is determined, the second team is ranked by its record among the original tied teams, not the head-to-head record vs. the remaining team(s).

So I take from this that after tonight the Badgers would be the second seed in the tourney due to the 2-2 record of the group and Purdue having a 2-1 record and Indiana having a 1-2 record.

Edit - I have no idea why it posted 4 times but thanks for the answer.

Good win tonight, this had slip up game potential on it

As a side note is there something wrong with me that I hate Greg Paulus of Duke so much? Seems kinda smug to me

I hate him about just as much as "Big Z"

Looks like Miami is going to hold on, that makes me very happy

fondybrewfan wrote:

As a side note is there something wrong with me that I hate Greg Paulus of Duke so much? Seems kinda smug to me

I hate him about just as much as "Big Z"

Looks like Miami is going to hold on, that makes me very happy

There'd be something wrong with you if you didn't hate him. Aside from Deivendorf (sp?) on Syracuse-whose not even playing this year- I don't really hate anyone else in CBB more than Paulus.

Neitzel?

Anyway, impressive win. I definitely think Illinois is better than their record, so I was worried about this one. An interesting stat I heard before the game is that UW was outscoring Big Ten opponents by 85, while Illinois was outscoring theirs by 70. With only three wins, it's easy to see why Pomeroy has them as the most unlucky team in Division 1.

An interesting stat I heard before the game is that UW was outscoring Big Ten opponents by 85, while Illinois was outscoring theirs by 70. With only three wins, it's easy to see why Pomeroy has them as the most unlucky team in Division 1.

No way that stat is right. They did beat Northwestern by 43, Minnesota by 24, and Michigan by 18, but that means they'd have to lose 10 Big 10 games by 15 points total. And seeing as UW beat them by 10 the first meeting, that's impossible. After some quick math Illinois is +5 in points through their first 13 games(not including the UW game), while UW is +116.

Edit: Just thought I'd compare on the season. Illinois is +83, while Wisconsin is +359. Quite a difference.

I have to say I was surprised. I didn't give Tennessee much of a chance in that one.

The bigger shocker Saturday was Kansas losing to a sub-par Oklahoma State team. Everyone had them locked in as a 1 seed a couple weeks ago, and now they probably won't even win the Big 12.

The publicity and such are wonderful for fans of the Big Ten, as soon as they can work out agreements. My experience with them is limited, but my complaint would be the lack of a post-game show. Less than a minute after one game, they switched to a "classic" game, from years ago. Are you kidding?

Archived