Brewer Fanatic

Wisconsin Badgers Basketball

TwinsBrewersWorldSeries
  • Replies 838
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

The Badgers have some ugly wins this year, but really, what top-notch team doesn't have some nail biters? Unless you're UNC, Memphis, or Kansas, you're not going to win by an average of 15+ points. What's important (and the sign of a good team) is going on the road and winning, even when you don't have your good stuff.

They're going to win 25 or so games, probably have a good run in the Big 10 tourney, and if healthy, should make a decent run in the dance. The one thing with the style of ball the Badgers play, on most nights, they'll hang with just about anyone, simply because they don't allow a lot of good scoring opportunities. I'm not going to "predict" a Final Four appearance, but I certainly wouldn't rule it out. Look at the Dick Bennett Badgers that made it to the Final Four. That team was putrid on offense, but played tough, fundamentally sound D, and beat some extremely good teams in that run.

Yes, the Badgers got blown away by Duke, but that is one game. They also beat Texas on the road, and held Indiana to less than 50 points.

UNC has had a lot of nail biters this season including a lot lately, but thats just the nature of college basketball conference play. It's very rare in any conference that you can go on the road and dominate teams, evne if they aren't as good as you are.

Big game tonight, at home vs Purdue

Only on the Big Ten Network.

I plan to head out to the BBC to watch it... any predictions?

I think Badgers by 10.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Purdue not getting a whole lot of respect in this one, as the spread currently sits at 10. I don't think that's very accurate...Purdue is 10-1, ranked 26 or so, beat Wisconsin once already....10 just seems too high.

From what i understand, Purdue is coming into this game a bit banged up too. A young, less than 100% Purdue @ Wisconsin? Yea, i can see it being 10.

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

Purdue fans have a lot to be excited about for the next few years. They are very good.

Kind of goes back to the blue chip discussion. I'd rather have the four 4 star guys that will all probably be there for fout years over one year of Eric Gordon anyday.

Yeah, impressive performance by Purdue and sloppy play from the Badgers. If they didn't shoot out of their minds on free throws this wouldn't have been close.

I was pretty disappointed by this, but you never know. This may actually be better for the Indiana game. I had that penciled in as a loss but maybe they'll re-focus or something. The coaches will definitely be telling them that they aren't all that great. I don't normally buy into that crap but emotion seems to play a large role in college basketball so who knows.

One thing I will say, is that despite my feelings that it is better that the Badgers aren't dependent on one guy (or two) to carry the scoring load, they need to work on some plays when time is of the essence because of this. At the end of the game last night, the Badgers weren't prepared to make a comeback being down two or more possessions with little time left on the clock. That has to be remedied. Last year, they'd just give the ball to Tucker. This year they're going to need to abandon the standard offense at a time when that standard offense doesn't make sense because the clock is not your friend.

But let's give a little credit to Purdue, they are a hell of a good team. And they played defense like the Badgers play defense last night, probably even better.

I definitely underestimated Purdue as well. They shot absolutely lights out in the first half. I still think Indiana will probably win on Wednesday, but I think Wisconsin has a pretty good shot at a win. Indiana hasn't been playing particularly well the last couple weeks, and hopefully Flowers will be able to shut down Gordon again. Unfortunately there's D.J. White who will probably pretty easily go for 20 and 15.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

At the end of the game last night, the Badgers weren't prepared to make a comeback being down two or more possessions with little time left on the clock. That has to be remedied. Last year, they'd just give the ball to Tucker. This year they're going to need to abandon the standard offense at a time when that standard offense doesn't make sense because the clock is not your friend.

I'm not so sure it can be remedied. You still need guys to put the ball in the basket and the Badgers just don't have that go to guy in crunch time.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I think that "go-to-guy" needs to be Landry. He'll take over sometimes, but in situations where they need a bucket I think he needs to at least get a touch in the post.

I was pleasantly surprised that Bohannon took the initiative last night on a couple of the final possessions though.

I'm not so sure it can be remedied. You still need guys to put the ball in the basket and the Badgers just don't have that go to guy in crunch time.

My point is the Badgers weren't even in a position to try. They made like four passes and still weren't looking for the shot...basically giving up.

Archived