Brewer Fanatic

Wisconsin Badgers Basketball

TwinsBrewersWorldSeries
brwrsfan wrote:

About Krabbenhoft, I really thought he'd be a much better scorer than he is. It just seems like he was touted as a very skilled scorer, wasn't he Mr. Basketball in high school? Generally those guys can score. I love what he brings to the team, just wish he'd put up a few more points, or make that open 3 pointer he seems to get on a regular basis.

But the thing is it's not his role. I can almost guarantee if Bo Ryan said to him "Joe I want you to score at will" he'd be averaging double digits. He shoots over 50%, it's just it's not his role in the offense. Although I'll say he doesn't have the prettiest jumper, so I'm okay if he doesn't attempt too many 3's. I'll gladly take the rebounds/assists/good A/T ratio anyday.

Edit: BuckyTuba, I can't believe the unframed picture is still like 60 bucks! That's pretty insane.

I'm agreeing with you on his role, he certainly is good at being the "glue" as ESPN likes to call him. I just wish he could consistently nail down the open jumpers he seems to have available to him. He very well may be a capable shooter (though it does look ugly), but he just seems to be timid when shooting it, almost to a fault. That being said, I hope he keeps up the 5pts, 12reb, 5 assist performances...

Also, as much as I like Erin Andrews, what would you do with a picture of her on the "W"? Hang it in your lving room? As a desktop background maybe, but jeez, $150 bucks....

• Replies 838
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oops, that mighta come off strong, I wasn't ripping on you for buying it, the fact that they have that for sale for that much makes me laugh. For them to keep doing it, they must sell some, and I just want to know what people are doing with them. Crazy...

they actually sell all kinds of game pictures, and that picture happened to be part of the set available from indiana.

hoping to bring a win back from the cities this weekend. williams is always a tough place to play though...regardless of the teams.

Although I'll say he doesn't have the prettiest jumper

Yeah -- I think this is a fair critique -- if he developed a jumper he'd be a beast. The best compliment I can pay to him is that my son tries to play like him.

Also, as much as I like Erin Andrews, what would you do with a picture of her

Photoshop her into the vacation pictures

Looked like he injured his arm or elbow. I don't think they ever had a report on it, but he seemed alright.

Great game for Hughes today. I was actually a bit concerned for this game because Minnesota has been decent, but it was never in doubt.

Also, as much as I like Erin Andrews, what would you do with a picture of her

Photoshop her into the vacation pictures

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc117/ccbrew/Office.jpg

Carol: What is this?

Michael: That is my Christmas card. It's a picture of you and me and your kids on a ski trip, having a blast.

ESPN/USA Today top 25 has Wisconsin at 8th this week. That's kind of unbelievable to me considering where I thought they would be before the season started. I would have never guessed a top 10 ranking at any point during the season. I cannot honestly look at the Badgers and consider them the 8th best team in the nation right now (probably closer to 15-20 in my opinion). But sometimes polls are more about the timing of wins and losses rather than if the team is really deserving.

Whatever though, should be a fun finish to the Big 10 season.

That sweet pepper & egg sandwich has been mighty tasty thus far!

I don't have the time to dig through this thread right now, but I know someone made the comment that Bo seems to have his best seasons when the team is supposedly in a 'down' year.

Viva la Bo!

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I would tend to agree that talent wise, Wisconsin probably isn't anywhere near #8 in the country, but that isn't always what matters. They play as a team, work together, play solid defense and just play very good fundamental basketball. And while some of their games don't look all that pretty, a record of 18-3 is just getting very difficult to ignore. Winning on national tv over a team like Indiana certainly helps too. 18-3 is 18-3, regardless of our perceived lack of talent. Bo is just doing an extremely good job of coaching. I must say I thought we would be an average team, so this season has been truely fun to watch.

What's funny is that Ryan's consistency should come as no surprise. Here's his track record at UW-Platteville...

1984-5: 9-17

1985-6: 16-11

1986-7: 14-11

1987-8: 24-5

1988-9: 24-5

'89-'90: 26-3

1990-1: 28-3 (DIII Nat'l. Champs)

1991-2: 27-4

1992-3: 24-4

1993-4: 23-5

1994-5: 31-0 (DIII Nat'l. Champs)

1995-6: 23-3

1996-7: 24-3

1997-8: 30-0 (DIII Nat'l. Champs)

1998-9: 30-2 (DIII Nat'l. Champs)

That's astounding.

I usually find that I underestimate the Badgers during the course of the year. Probably because I can get so frustrated with the players during the games that I watch. I also see how much more athletic most teams are in the other major conferences and I get a little jealous sometimes. But I honestly think that there are at least two teams in every BCS conference that are better than the Badgers (except for the Big 10 and maybe the Big 12), plus teams like Memphis (obviously), Xavier, and maybe even teams like Drake, St. Mary's, and Gonzaga. But that doesn't really matter right now. The Badgers are getting better and they just keep plugging along with the wins. It's sort of a fruitless effort to compare them to teams in other conferences since they don't play each other and it really only matters what you do within your own conference.

But you are right, the Badgers do some very important things well on a nightly basis:

Play very good defense

Take care of the ball

Defensively rebound well (most of the time)

Take good shots

That will keep you in just about every game.

heresrobin wrote

But I honestly think that there are at least two teams in every BCS conference that are better than the Badgers (except for the Big 10 and maybe the Big 12), plus teams like Memphis (obviously), Xavier, and maybe even teams like Drake, St. Mary's, and Gonzaga.

That's kind of a bold statement. There's no doubt in my mind Wisconsin is better than Drake, St. Mary's and Gonzaga. And at least two teams in every BCS conference? How about the SEC. I'm not so sure even Tennessee is better than Wisc, let alone teams like Florida, Ark, or Miss. St. I mean we obviously have different views, but I'm just kind of curious as to how you believe that all those teams are better than UW. I believe the only conference Wisconsin might be worst than 2nd in is the Big East, and that's just cause UConn's been on a pretty big tear, and they're a missed Roy Hibbert 3 away from being tied with G'Town for first.

Edit: I'm a moron, they'd be 3rd in the ACC.

I didn't understand why people thought they would collapse with the loss of Tucker and Taylor after last year. Good observation could tell you that Landry was looking like another solid player stepping into a bigger role and take some of Tuckers scoring burden, Hughes and his clippings in my mind would be equal Taylor at the point. Put in a year more experience for Butch and Flowers and this team is close to last year.

One reason I think UW has had success since Dick Bennett was here is that they have recruited players that normally stay around for 4 years. These players learn the system and believe in it, and there fore in the long run they win games with it. It is great to get all 5 star players but when they leave early and the cupboard is bare it makes for some very tough times unless you are a Duke or UNC. Look at Illinois what has happened to them with kids leaving early and incoming classses not filling the holes.

UW is the 8th best TEAM right now, its players are not the 8th most talented group in the country.

Glennron, I know it's sort of a bold statement, and it's a totally subjective opinion on my part. I could be wrong and do not consider myself as anything close to an expert - I just watch a ton of college basketball. There's also only about six or seven teams that I consider to be considerably better than the Badgers; everyone else is sort of bunched together a little bit more. Here's my breakdown of the other conferences and the teams that I believe are better than the Badgers:

ACC: Duke, North Carolina, and Clemson

Big East: Georgetown, Louisville, UConn, and maybe Marquette on a good day as we've seen, though I definitely wouldn't say they are better right now

Big 12: Kansas, and quite possibly Texas A&M, Oklahoma, and Kansas State

SEC: Tennessee, and quite possibly Arkansas and Florida

Pac 10: UCLA, Stanford, Washington State (yes, even though they have been struggling lately), and I think the Badgers would be on par with USC, California, and Arizona - the Pac 10 is incredibly deep this year - Orgeon State is the only easy game in that conference

Big 10: yet to be seen, but as of right now, I give the Badgers the edge. And what is up with Michigan State losing at Iowa and at a Geary Claxton-less Penn State by the way?

Others: Memphis, Xavier, and Gonzaga (though this team is sort of an enigma to me, they have played such a brutal schedule and haven't won any real big games, but they have a few guys on that team who I think are incredible - Pargo and Day - who are more talented than anybody on the Badgers)

I'll retract St. Mary's as I don't think that they are all that good away from home. Drake and even Butler is debatable as well.

But keep in mind, that when I try to compare these teams to the Badgers, I try to envision the teams on a neutral court and I sort of forget about who is ranked where in the AP and ESPN polls. I'm just not sure yet that the Badgers could hang on neutral courts. They are so good at home, it sort of skews how I think of them away from the Kohl Center - the win at Texas was nice though. I also look at some of these other teams and just consider them much more "battle-tested" against much better teams than the Badgers have faced.

As a sidenote, Ken Pomeroy has the Badgers ranked 5th by his metrics. So maybe I'm way off base - could be.

What's funny is that Ryan's consistency should come as no surprise. Here's his track record at UW-Platteville...

1984-5: 9-17

1985-6: 16-11

1986-7: 14-11

1987-8: 24-5

1988-9: 24-5

'89-'90: 26-3

1990-1: 28-3 (DIII Nat'l. Champs)

1991-2: 27-4

1992-3: 24-4

1993-4: 23-5

1994-5: 31-0 (DIII Nat'l. Champs)

1995-6: 23-3

1996-7: 24-3

1997-8: 30-0 (DIII Nat'l. Champs)

1998-9: 30-2 (DIII Nat'l. Champs)

That's astounding.

Bo won all those games with a bunch of engineers and cops on his roster(as he put it "i don't think i'll ever get a speeding ticket in this state"). He is just proving that his system works at every level. Let's hope w can have the same kind of results in madison(BTW, i believe that 95 and 96 were also final four apperances as well, so that makes 5 straight final four runs to end his UWP career)..

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

Glennron, I just realized that I may not have answered or addressed your post properly. Here are few things that I think work against the Badgers, ie their weaknesses:

Facing teams that put intense pressure on the ball and try to get into the perimeter passing lanes; I think that their guards struggle with ball toughness on offense sometimes

Trevon Hughes still struggles sometimes with running an offense and I don't think that he is a great passer (behind the back no-look aside), I don't look at him as a true PG yet who plays disciplined enough, but man is he getting better

They are not shooting the 3 pointer very well as a team - the penetrate and kickout has just not been there consistently for them

I question whether or not they can handle the super athletic teams down low, and keep those teams off the boards

I'd also feel much better if they shot better from the line, because they get there a lot

Do we have a good enough interior game to face the elite teams?

Some players are a little too tentative on offense sometimes (Landry and Krabbenhoft) for my liking - though maybe it's a good think that Krabbenhoft doesn't shoot more from the outside

In Summary: this team can struggle on offense sometimes.

Some of these weaknesses might be heightened in my eyes though because I watch the games so closely and probably get too critical of them during each possession. Another way of putting it: it may not be as bad as I perceive it.

I'd rather the Badgers be a team with the sound, solid D that can struggle offensively sometimes, than the high-powered offensive team that doesn't play consistent defense. You can't go 'cold' on D like you can with shooting.

EDIT: BTW, i believe that 95 and 96 were also final four apperances as well, so that makes 5 straight final four runs to end his UWP career

Nope, '95-'96 was a first-round exit, and '96-'97 saw them knocked out in the second round. Doesn't change how impressive his final few years there were, though!

I think you're underrating the Badgers' defense, heresrobin. Ken Pomeroy had them at number 1 for almost all of the non-conference season before Memphis passed them and Kansas briefly passed them. UW has had a top-3 defense in terms of efficiency all year, and that's huge when you have at least a decent offense (39). I don't see 2 teams from any conference outside the ACC being better than the Badgers, and the ACC is even debatable.

I'd rather the Badgers be a team with the sound, solid D that can struggle offensively sometimes, than the high-powered offensive team that doesn't play consistent defense. You can't go 'cold' on D like you can with shooting.

EDIT: BTW, i believe that 95 and 96 were also final four apperances as well, so that makes 5 straight final four runs to end his UWP career

Nope, '95-'96 was a first-round exit, and '96-'97 saw them knocked out in the second round. Doesn't change how impressive his final few years there were, though!

D'oh.. Well it must have been a few years before that then, as i remember seeing several final four banners in the Gym around the national championship banners.

EDIT: I was thinking of the 91-92 team was a 3rd place finish, and 92-93 was an elite 8 finish.

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

ACC: Duke, North Carolina, and Clemson

Big East: Georgetown, Louisville, UConn, and maybe Marquette on a good day as we've seen, though I definitely wouldn't say they are better right now

Big 12: Kansas, and quite possibly Texas A&M, Oklahoma, and Kansas State

SEC: Tennessee, and quite possibly Arkansas and Florida

Pac 10: UCLA, Stanford, Washington State (yes, even though they have been struggling lately), and I think the Badgers would be on par with USC, California, and Arizona - the Pac 10 is incredibly deep this year - Orgeon State is the only easy game in that conference

Big 10: yet to be seen, but as of right now, I give the Badgers the edge. And what is up with Michigan State losing at Iowa and at a Geary Claxton-less Penn State by the way?

Others: Memphis, Xavier, and Gonzaga (though this team is sort of an enigma to me, they have played such a brutal schedule and haven't won any real big games, but they have a few guys on that team who I think are incredible - Pargo and Day - who are more talented than anybody on the Badgers)

Just my opinion compared to yours, but I take definite exception with Clemson, Gonzaga, Texas A&M, Oklahoma (By the way Texas is better than all the Big 12 teams but Kansas that you list, and UW beat them at their place), Arkansas, Florida.

You may not think they're all that talented, but 18-3 speaks for itself at the moment. They can shut down prolific offenses, which gives you a chance against just about anyone.

Archived