Brewer Fanatic

Wisconsin Badgers Basketball

TwinsBrewersWorldSeries

Anyone have any thoughts for the season? I've found that I think Bo Ryan does his best coaching when alot isn't expected out of a team. I think he is GREAT at taking a mediocre team and making them Conference Champion Calibur, but has not been able to take a Conference Champion Calibur team to a National Champion Calibur team.

I think most people are predicting 18-20 wins for the Badgers and anywhere from 8-10 Big Ten Wins. I think most would be satisfied with a 20-10 (9-7) regular season and an NCAA bid, but given the heights of the program the past decade expectations will be high, even in a rebuilding year.

I don't think we'll see a return to Bennett ball, but I think the defensive intensity will be very high this year. I actually prefer a Badgers team without big name "hyped players" and rather enjoy seeing 12 kids work their butt off to play well as a team. Call it the Patrick Ewing effect, but i think the Badgers maybe could go 22-8 (11-5) and surprise quite a few this season.

Jason Bohannon is going to be a special player, and this is the last hurrah for Brian "Water Buffalo" Butch

ON WISCONSIN

(Edited to add tags)

• Replies 838
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I'm really looking forward to seeing Hughes run the point. I think he might be something special.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I'm really looking forward to seeing Hughes run the point. I think he might be something special
I think Hughes will end up being a better point guard than Taylor was. Taylor was much more of a shoot 1st guard while Hughes will make the entire team better with his penetration and passing skills.

I expect a big year from Landry and think he can make up a lot of what they're losing in Tucker.

I think the Badgers will be underestimated big time. Yes, they lost Alando Tucker, but I doubt guys like Joe Krabbenhoft and Marcus Landry didn't ever expect to have their roles increased when they came to Wisconsin. Are they deep? Yes. Do they have size? Yes. Do they have good guards? Yes. I think they'll be a Big 10 contender...again.

I worry about 2007-08 being a rough year for the Badgers, but I do agree with the sentiment that Ryan's coaching skills will play a big role, too. I think on the whole the team is more well-balanced, but we will miss that big-scoring-game ability of Tucker. It was nice to have a guy that was liable to go off for 30 on any given night/day.

Hughes will likely be a lateral move at worst at the point, considering what others have mentioned already re. his PG mentality. I wouldn't call Krabbenhoft a guard, personally, so I also have concerns about depth at G. Landry is poised for a big-time breakout year, so I hope we see some improvement in his back-to-the-basket game. A starting 5 of Hughes/Bohannon/Krabby/Landry/Butch with Steimsma 1st off the bench should be tough on most teams.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I worry about perimeter scoring. Outside of Bohanon and maybe Butch, who is a consistent three point threat?
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

The Big Ten has gone to an 18 game league schedule this year, so each team will now have only two opponents that it will not play home and home. Wisconsin catches a break this year by not having to go to MSU.

Hughes is not yet the shooter that Taylor was, but he's a better player in every other facet of the game, and will be the best passing UW point guard since Tracey Webster.

Look for a nine-man rotation of (from bigs to smalls) Steimsma, Butch, Nankivil, Leuer, Landry, Krabbenhoft, Bohannon, Flowers & Hughes. Tim Jarmusz may also see some time in the backcourt if there are injuries.

Should be another fun year of Badger hoops

Badgers were down 11 at one point but lead at the half 38-32 over IPFW. After I turned the game on the radio is when they started to turn it around. Hughes led the effort with 14 points. Butch with 12 and 8 at the half. Everyone else has been pretty quiet and disappointing. I believe when IPFW had there 11 point lead they were shooting 50% from behind the arc. Being around basketball teams for the last 8 years and watching over 150 games, I've definitley seen it all, so these type of things happen. Big time schools come out slow and the little guys come out loose and on fire. Typically, what happened at the end of the half usually occurs. The little guys start to cool off and then the big guys get the momentum and don't look back. We'll see in the second half if that holds true. I sure hope so for the sake of this young team.

Edit - 8 man rotation for Bo in the first half.

Didn't IUPUI beat a decent D1 team the other night?

Perhaps, but this was IUPU-FW (the Mastodons!). I think I read that they won 12 games last year and that was a big accomplishment for them.

RyDogg, Tim Jarmusz and Brett Valentyn were the only players who saw no action tonight. I wonder if Tim is contemplating a redshirt.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Anyone have any thoughts for the season? I've found that I think Bo Ryan does his best coaching when alot isn't expected out of a team. I think he is GREAT at taking a mediocre team and making them Conference Champion Calibur, but has not been able to take a Conference Champion Calibur team to a National Champion Calibur team.
I don't know that he's had a Conference Champion caliber team, the "year" for them would've been had Devin Harris stayed another year (or had Tucker been healthy in Harris' last season at UW)

I think this team will surprise people. I think Landry is going to be a monster. The guy is just freakishly athletic, and will give opposing forwards fits.

I think they win 22 or 23 games this year, and are in the running for the Big Ten title up until the last couple weeks.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

there are rumblings about jarmusz redshirting, but nothing has been said either way.

the fact that he did not play last night could be a sign?

we should know alot about this team once the B10 season comes along...they have a pretty solid NC schedule...at Duke, at Texas, Georgia, Marquette

Jarmusz is probably at least considering it, or he would have played. There's little doubt he should, as he is a "role player type" who would likely benefit from maturity and extra time. I wish Hughes would have last year, though if last night is any indication, he might not be a 4 year guy anyway.

I wish Hughes would have last year, though if last night is any indication, he might not be a 4 year guy anyway.

i dont know if i would get that nuts after one game. bo has said that he will look like a superstar at times but then look merely normal at others.

this was also online today...about jarmusz:

http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/sports/badgersBBm/256372

Archived