Brewer Fanatic

new rays uniforms announced today

patrickgpe
the reason i like the brewers uniforms is that appear to be both modern and classic. What i mean by that is that they have a classic look, but not so classic they are the 82 retro uniforms. If you look what teams did like the angels in the mid 90's, they went out of control with trying to make modern uniforms. The rays on the other hand decided to have no differentiation from anyone at all.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

"What an absurd little joke. Dumping the "Devil." I think they should call themselves the "Morality Rays.""

Where did you read they dropped 'Devil' because of some satanic connotation?

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I remember reading a while back that ownership wanted to get rid of "Devil" from the name for a few years now, due to pressure from many senior citizen groups in the Tampa area.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I wonder if ASU gets flack for being the Sun Devils? Don't remember any when I lived out there.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I wonder if the New Jersey Devils get flack for being the Devils? I still find it funny that Marquette changed it's name from Warriors because of stuff like this, yet the Cleveland Indians are just straight up the Indians. Who knows.

Weird how things work, whether the Rays change is due to criticism or not isn't really clear either.

Supposedly yes, FTJ.

Legend has it that in the New Jersey area, there's a beastie, a sprite, a thing...in their midst, like a Yeti or something.

http://theshadowlands.net/jd.htm

On a similar subject, I'm a DePaul alum, and from what I've heard, there's never been any movement away from the Blue Demons (a Catholic school, too). The story goes that in the 20's or sometime, when upperclassmen would letter in a sport, they'd sport a jacket with a big D on it, for DePaul, of course. And our teams always have worn blue. So, literally, these lettering athletes (women athletes? un-ladylike!), were blue D men. Blue Demons!

Anyway, I'd like to pause and mourn the death of another creative color scheme in baseball, which is replaced by either red or, of course, navy blue. *yawn*

With this change, the teams without red or blue as their primary colors, is now down to 7.

The Orioles, Giants, A's, Pirates, Marlins, Rockies and the White Sox.

And out of them, since black IS navy blue to those of us looking for socks in a dark bedroom, only the A's have any chutzpah...and even THEY have incorporated black into their logos in recent years.

Baseball is the only sport where it's too often the case where you have to tell the home team from the visitor by the pants. Stupid.

By the way, I can only wonder how slimming these uniforms are, if Don Zimmer's modeling them...

"So if this fruit's a Brewer's fan, his ass gotta be from Wisconsin...(or Chicago)."

I remember reading a while back that ownership wanted to get rid of "Devil" from the name for a few years now, due to pressure from many senior citizen groups in the Tampa area.

I lived there for a long time and there wasn't what I would call serious pressure from hardly anywhere, much less "many senior citizen groups."

It was just a clunky, bad name. They should have gone with the Rays to begin with.

I like the new uniforms. I hated the DRays uniforms when I worked in the AFL. Of course, even those grew on me a bit. But these are an upgrade. I'd say that they no longer have the worst uniforms in the game. The Blue Jays' are pretty awful.

Archived