Brewer Fanatic

The Future of Joe Dillon

twobrewers
What I don't understand is why Gwynn & Gross would both be kept. It'd make more sense - intuitively - to ship the lesser LH bat (Gwynn) to Nashville, since Kapler provides the RH portion of a platoon with Gross. Then not only do you have Dillon to back up IF, you have your best hitters up, too. Gwynn's defense is nowhere near good enough to justify how poor he's been with the bat.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whats worrisome is that Yost seems to have fallen in love with the suckitude of Gabe Kapler

change the name from Yost to Melvin and I agree.

It might be a good sign for Dillon that no one has talked much about him. It might mean he's more or less viewed as a no brainer. I think the real competition might be between Gwynn and Kapler.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Will Counsell be our only backup IF then?

I assume the Brewers will start with a 12 man staff, leaving 5 bench position players. Counsell, backup C, Gross, Gwynn and ???. I would think Dillon gets the nod over Kapler in that situation to give us someone else to back up IFers.

Kapler will be on the roster on OD, I'd bet on it. Cameron won't be on the roster, so you can count one guy as "starter". I sure hope they don't keep two no-hit defensive IF.

I think they seem to be leaning towards 13 pitchers. Then Gwynn to take Cameron's spot for 25 games plus Gross and Kapler to be backup outfielders. The catcher backs up 1B and only Counsell as a backup infielder. Just my feelings right now. Not what I want to happen.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I posted in another thread, but it's more appropriate here. I have the hunch the OD roster is going to include Gross, Gwynn, and Kapler, and that Dillon will be in Nashville or on another team. That would not be my choice, just a hunch.

Ew. That would be horrible, but I fear you may be right. Ned seems to favor defense off the bench and Melvin loves Kapler. To me, the roster decisions should be made this way:

Munson vs. Rivera (vs. Rottino?)

Counsell vs. Nunez

Gross

Kapler vs. Gwynn

Dillon vs. Rottino

Of course Counsell wins his match. He's getting paid. Kapler and Gwynn, despite the righty-lefty thing bring the same thing to the table. Keeping both just doesn't make sense.

Under this scenario, Rottino is sort of the wild card that makes or breaks Dillon.

The writing on the wall, or the web as it were, the last couple of days has had illusions to Joey Dillion ( I say his name with a French accent) to being in some trouble. I will be seriously distraught if this comes to pass! The dude was a pinch hitting beast last season. Sweet compact stroke. Slight shades of Molitor's swing, short and to the ball. I just think he's the natural back up at first being right handed. Passable at 3rd, left, right, and maybe a wee little bit of 2nd. I definitely see him as the first bat off the bench. If the bad happens, does he have minor league options or does he have to clear waivers?

If he doesn't make the squad I'll be having flashbacks to Brian Banks being cut and Sean freakin' Berry kept around. Now granted Banker didn't go on to have a ton of MLB success, but SEAN BERRY. I hated that dude. Waste of roster and payroll space.

Archived