Brewer Fanatic

The Future of Joe Dillon

twobrewers
Mench won't get $5 million. likely closer to the neighborhood of $3.5 million. That said, because he just can't hit RH pitching he can't actually be considered a backup OFer. If Hall or Hart goes down, you don't want Mench filling in. Add to that the fact teh NL Central has been light on LHP and you have a guy who has value but not that much for teh Brewers.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mench made $3.4 million last year. I don't see how he will only get a $100,000 raise. $5 million might be off but I don't see him making less than $4.5 million. I was just using a number I had heard thrown around on the board. Regradless he will get paid much more than what he is worth.

From what I understand,. the lone disadvantage of a Gross/Dillon platoon in a starting position is it has a depleting effect on the bench at large. Gross, when starting, can't use his bat in a PH situation is required, and that's about the same for Dillon, who also plays a bit of a utility role.

Putting an actual full-timer in a starting spot would free these guys up to seriously upgrade our bench, and perhaps continue to allow for 12 or so pitchers.

Sign Bonds to a 1 yr deal to hit 2nd and play LF.

Get it over with already!

Ha!

(sorry, couldn't resist)

But in all seriousness, I hope they find someone to play LF every day and keep Dillon and Gross on the bench as guys who can PH, and mash when our OF needs a day off.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

• 3 months later...

Things aren't looking so good for Crazy Joe Dillon these days...

We've barely heard a thing about him thus far. Todays article in the JS (Link) was about the bench - and he was mentioned almost as an afterthought. Nunez was mentioned as a back-up infielder before Dillon.

And then Dillon didn't play at all in the first Spring Training game.

It's early - but the Brewers certainly haven't seemed to high on him thus far.

Steve the Homer True had his favorite baseball analyst named Mike Gimble on the radio recently. Gimbel kept saying that if the Brewers would put Dillon at third instead of Bill Hall, the Brewers would pick up three extra wins this season. It was an interesting comment. On a personal note, I have always felt the Brewers needed to add at least one dependable and professional hitter who fits in the mold of a Kevin Seitzer, Fernando Vina, Mark Loretta, or Jeff Cirillo. To me, Dillon seems like that kind of hitter. I realize there is no room for him as a starter, but I will be extremely disappointed if he doesn't make the team as a backup. He just looked so smooth at the plate last season, and he seemed to have a clue what to do with a bat in his hands. His style just seemed to complement all of our sluggers really well. In a clutch situation, I would love to see Dillon come up to bat off the bench when you need a big hit. He would be my first choice.

EDIT: If Gabe Kapler makes this team ahead of Joe Dillon, I am going to vomit.

I'll be mad if Dillon doesn't make the team. I would take Crazy Joe over both Kapler and Gwynn, and definitely Nunez. If Dillon isn't going to make the team, I'd almost wish we still had Mench around to crush lefties off the bench.

I'll be mad if Dillon doesn't make the team. I would take Crazy Joe over both Kapler and Gwynn, and definitely Nunez. If Dillon isn't going to make the team, I'd almost wish we still had Mench around to crush lefties off the bench.

If by crush lefties you mean pop up on the infield on the first pitch he sees after sitting on the bench all game.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Mike Gimbel thinks this guy is the real deal, he suggested on Homer's show a few weeks back that Dillon should start at 3B versus RHP with Hall the platoon partner and super-utility the rest of the time. He also suggested that Dillon should bat third in the order.

Mike Gimbel thinks this guy is the real deal, he suggested on Homer's show a few weeks back that Dillon should start at 3B versus RHP with Hall the platoon partner and super-utility the rest of the time. He also suggested that Dillon should bat third in the order.

Really? Wow, I like Dillon but is he that good?

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Probably not.

If by crush lefties you mean pop up on the infield on the first pitch he sees after sitting on the bench all game.

No, he just meant "crush lefties." That's what Mench does.

One thing to keep in mind is that there's just as good a chance that Dillon was 'mentioned as an afterthought' because his spot on the 25-man is almost a given as there is the chance that he's fighting for his roster life. Just sayin'

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

• 2 weeks later...
I hate to say it, but if Dillon was an NCAA basketball team he would be on the bubble. With Gross and more recently the backup catcher being mentioned as backing up 1B, along with talk of 13 pitchers, I am not sure where Dillon fits in.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Agreed.

I posted that in one of the other Joe Dillon threads about two weeks ago. They really hadn't been talking about him as a 3B or 2B back-up. As a matter of fact - none of the coaches are talking about him at all!

All you ever hear mention is his use as a back-up in the OF and 1B. We don't need a back-up OF and anyone can back-up 1B.

However, he will at worse get sent to AAA. There he is only a phone call away from MLB. (Realistically, as long as Hall, Weeks and Prince are healthy - Dillon doesn't have too much value. But if Hall goes down, I would rather see Dillon than Counsell getting AB)

Dillion is the best RH bench option the Brewers have.
That is assuming Munson is the back-up catcher...

And while I am not a fan of Kapler - he can play CF as well. (Plus he is actually an OF - whereas Dillon is an IF occasionally playing in the OF)

Don't get me wrong - I want Dillon on the 25 man roster for opening day. I just don't think he is going to get too many AB, so sending him to AAA isn't the end of the world. (I am assuming he has options left)

I think Dillon would be the go-to pinch hitter v. LHP for sure, and he'd be one of the best v. RHP as well. He can give Weeks, Hall, Hart, Fielder or Braun a day off. I think Dillon will see his share of PAs, especially if we have injuries, assuming he makes the 25 man.

I posted in another thread, but it's more appropriate here. I have the hunch the OD roster is going to include Gross, Gwynn, and Kapler, and that Dillon will be in Nashville or on another team. That would not be my choice, just a hunch.

Will Counsell be our only backup IF then?

I assume the Brewers will start with a 12 man staff, leaving 5 bench position players. Counsell, backup C, Gross, Gwynn and ???. I would think Dillon gets the nod over Kapler in that situation to give us someone else to back up IFers.

Archived