Brewer Fanatic

Astros sniffing around Linebrink AND Coco

If Houston got both -- we'd get suck(ier) picks.

That would free up some Astros relievers, who were very good, if memory serves.

I seem to recall the Astros bullpen being pretty awful -- I think about the only pitchers worth much were Qualls and Lidge -- I would imagine they will hang on to Qualls.

I think they could absorb Linebrink, and Cordero and maybe only have to move Lidge.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Astros 1st round pick is protected, since it's in the top 15 picks. If either guy signed, we'd only get their 2nd rounder.

What would happen if they signed both of them? Would we get their 2nd and 3rd? (plus supplemental picks for both).

Just curious if anyone knows.

They did deal Lidge, so they could use a closer. Makes sense. And you weaken a division rival.

just curious- is bagwell's salary finally off the books for the Astros? I had thought even though he had retired, the Astros were still carrying part of his salary last year. With both bagwell and biggio off the books, the Astros would have enough money to do a lot of things such as re-signing Pettite.

With a new GM in St Louis, and the Cubs and Astros also flexing their dollars, I hope the brewers do more this Winter than just standing pat and hoping our youth will improve and pitchers get healthy.

"With a new GM in St Louis, and the Cubs and Astros also flexing their dollars, I hope the brewers do more this Winter than just standing pat and hoping our youth will improve and pitchers get healthy."

I agree, Reed.

All I keep hearing is, "Yeah, we have to re-sign Coco, and we'd like to keep Linebrink"...which is a noble idea. But we also have a major hole in LF (ever since Lee left) and $11,000,000 of Menchkins and $5.5 million of Damian/Graffanino supposedly freed up, and off the books. Let's say we keep CoCoCo, and take his salary slot from $5.4 million up to even $10,000,000 a year (let's be honest, he'll get offered that much from the Astros, alone), and we keep Linebrink, raising HIM from $2.2 million to $4,000,000, we'd still have a helluva lot of money for raises to existing players, and to absorb salary for a real left fielder who's not afraid of facing both lefties AND righties.

I wonder if Kosuke Fukudome would be a nice fit, batting 3rd in LF? Probably too pricey, but someone like him, an Overbay, circa 2004 would do...but a left fielder. This winter, given the free agent market, we'd have to trade to get him, whoever he is.....because Houston's ready to spend, the Cubs have unlimited money, and the Cardinals have this ridiculous mystique about them, where they could attract Tommy LaSorda away from the Dodgers.

Our rivals won't let us waltz into the first division so easily again, and we won't be sneaking up on anyone anymore. It's time to fortify LF, SP and add a reliever or 2, before our window of opportunity closes.

"So if this fruit's a Brewer's fan, his ass gotta be from Wisconsin...(or Chicago)."

Archived