Brewer Fanatic

Guess this is about the level of name we would hear... Randy Winn

Is there a FA pitcher that interests you? There certainly isn't a proven quality one available. Silva would be a huge risk. Colon would be an interesting gamble, but he's been bad the last 2 years. If the Brewers trade Sheets, then they need to go after Bedard.

Why would Silva be a huge risk? He's 28, has pitched at least 180 innings in each of the last 4 years (with a paid of 200+ inning seasons as bookends). He's probably an 8M per guy for 3-4 years... Groundball pitcher... will be getting out of the AL... He's no Sheeter, production-wise, but seems rock-solid to me.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why would we want both Kemp and Ethier? I'd prefer just one of them with a Pitcher or LaRoche. I don't see a need to trade Hall if the return are guys that are similar.

I have no problem with dealing Sheets if we get an arm and a bat in return or a really good arm. I wouldn't be opposed to a Sheets for Hughes trade or a Sheets for Lester trade (although we would probably be on the short side of the deals talent wise.).

I am starting to think Hall at 3B and signing Lofton makes the most sense. I am not thrilled about Hall at 3B, but I haven't seen many options that are better, unless we can get Rolen for Cappy.

I am in the "it doesn't make much sense to trade Hall/Sheets for two outfielders and not get a pitcher back" camp.

For one, in that scenario whatever starting pitcher we get to replace Sheets is definitely not going to be on Sheets level. We're not going to give up a ton of talent to land a guy like Bedard, that just isn't realistic. If you trade Sheets and do not get a pitcher back, you're really putting a lot of hope in Capuano and Suppan being good pitchers all year, and for Gallardo to maintain or even surpass last years production, as he will be our ace.

I just put a lot of value in having quality at the top of the rotation. Sheets/Gallardo as a 1/2 I love, Gallardo/Capuano or Gallardo/Suppan as a 1/2 I do not love. Anyone we would sign in the FA market would put me in the same mindset, at this point.

Ideal situation is to keep Sheets, obtain a good but not elite talent at 3B or LF by trading one of our lower rotation players. Our offense is already great, you make that move, improve the D some and if Braun moves to LF you can probably get similar production combined between 3B/LF as last year (Braun easily trumping Jenkins production, new 3B obviously not matching Braun's production).

I agree that his salary could potentially work in the Brewers favor. Either they give up less in exchange, or the Ginats send a bunch of money along and you get him cheap from a salary perspective. I think he'd lfit very nocely in teh 2 hole, and would certainly play a solid outfield defensively. Defense being an area they definitely nee dto improve on an ovcerall basis (one of the reasons Rolen was attractive).

Archived