Brewer Fanatic

Guess this is about the level of name we would hear... Randy Winn

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd love to have Wilkerson... in AAA. He seems like a guy whose swing has lost its way, and would do well to spend some time in AAA to fix it in a non pressure-packed situation. But if someone offers him big league money, that would be hard to turn down, even though he maybe should at this point.

• 4 weeks later...
Does anybody else feel Randy Winn made too much sense at the time, and still does now, that among all the rumors, I figured this one had legs and a chance of happening? The thread was alive for a bit over 24 hours, died, and there hasn't been a peep about Winn's name nationwide since. Given so many of the unpleasant alternative discussions thus far, I'm still shocked this didn't have more life in it for Melvin and company.

I guess I'm still leery about Winn. He's only eclipsed 50 BBs once in his career, and that came in his age 28 (read: peak of his prime) season. I don't know if I want a guy whose OBP is tied to his BA like that, and especially one that's entering his age 34 season. Winn does other things well, no doubt, but that OBP is so valuable, especially to our current lineup.

EDIT: I know his OBP isn't terrible, I just want the LF/3B we acquire to be stronger in that category.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I think a Sheets to LA deal would take priority too Brian and puts Winn on a backburner to be revisted if nothing happens on the Sheets to LA front.

Winn is a solid player who doesn't need to be platooned and won't take too much to get if SF gets Rios. But it's not at the forefront if there is something to this LA stuff.

Ethier and Kemp are really, really good and really, really far away from FA. They could go out and sign a SP with the money they would save.

I agree with the thinking here, and most years this would be a workable plan, but the FA starting pitching crop this offseason is downright dreadful. There are a ton of trade rumors surrounding really excellent pitchers this offseason, but I don't really like the price tags attached to Santana, Bedard, Haren, Lincecum/Cain, Kazmir, etc. I think their names are being kicked around in large part because of the dearth of FAs. Their GMs think they can extract maximum possible return now as opposed to next offseason, when the FA pitcher crop will be much stronger. We don't have the prospects to acquire any of those guys (not in the minors anyway), so we couldn't replace Sheets without significantly hurting another area of the team. Hall is not going to do it, either by himself or with spare parts or prospects.

I love the idea of trading for Kemp or Ethier, but I want to contend in '08, and I think having Sheets around is pretty critical to contention.

However, it would give the Crew a very young lineup, and maybe free up some prospects for a SP trade...fro instance, Bush and a top 5 prospect for a SP making $8M+ might be a good way for a rebuilding team to hide a salary dump. He would not be as good as Sheets, but perhaps more durable.

Kemp's more of a toolsy-type guy, like Corey Hart, maybe? But, with more boom-or-bust potential, though. If things break right for him and he progresses, he has the ability to be a 30-30 type of player. He's sort also like Wily Mo Pena, stocky build and stuff, but a similar unrefined approach at the plate.

Ethier is one of those guys who doesn't wow people with his tools, but is solid. I think he's pretty much what he's going to be at this point, which is an above average OF. Matt Murton is his #1 similar player on baseball-reference.com, and that's about right.

Ethier - looks to be a sort of Carlos Lee Light. Low Ks, moderate amount of BBs. Here's his 2007 line - .284/.350/.452/.802 (447 ABs). I'd expect slight variance in the future, but not too much. His BB totals may increase marginally, as may his SLG. He's regarded as a poor fielder.

Kemp - Much higher ceiling, but yet to reach it. Low BB, high(ish) K slugger. His OBP is tied heavily to his BA, but he slugs the ball so well, he's able to carry a high OPS regardless. 2007 line - .342/.373/.521/.894 (292 ABs).

Ethier's BaseballCube page

Kemp's BaseballCube page

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I can't say I understand moving Sheets AND Hall for Kemp and Ethier. My love for Hall aside, I can't believe he couldn't put up close to the numbers of Ethier, and I don't think trading from SP to fill a hole in our offense is the way to go. Our offense will be fine next year, and going from Jenkins to Kemp and from Sheets to (fill in relpacement) will not make this team better. Neither will Carlos Silva or whoever else we could sign this offseason. I also mimick the thought that it won't reflect well on us if we trade Hall immediately after he signed with us what appeared to be a discounted contract to stay in Mil, only to be shipped right out.

They could go out and sign a SP with the money they would save.

Is there a FA pitcher that interests you? There certainly isn't a proven quality one available. Silva would be a huge risk. Colon would be an interesting gamble, but he's been bad the last 2 years. If the Brewers trade Sheets, then they need to go after Bedard.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Archived