Brewer Fanatic

Guess this is about the level of name we would hear... Randy Winn

Ken Rosenthal on Fox Sports Radio said the Brewers have been talking to the San Francisco Giants about trades that center around OF Randy Winn. Giants want to get younger and have wholes at the Corner IF positions, pitching, and OF positions. Rosenthal thought the Winn could be had for a young SP and a prospect. Winn, who is old, would fit in that Melvin OBP mold that he is looking for and can play all 3 OF positions and is the ideal stop gap between him and Matt LaPorta. Rosenthal said that the Brewers are not going to overspend for a guy who will only play LF for a 1 to 2 year window and Winn is perfect for this proposition. Rosenthal also said that the Brewers are going to seriously consider playing LaPorta in LF next year if the price is to high to fill a LF spot and let him take his lumps.

Young SP? Parra, Gamel, and Lance Nix to the Giants for Winn and a bullpen guy?

Edit: Title clarification. - Toby

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Before we bash Winn, look at his numbers. He had a near .800 OPS, his OBP was about .350, and he hit .300.

While what I proposed was quite high, I am not in the dream world thinking we could get Winn for Vargas. I would definatly do a Parra for Winn straight up. Or even a Gamel for Winn but I am afraid it is going to take a lot more.

Winn's alright, but he's pretty expensive ($16.25 mil over the next 2 years), and will be 35 when his deal is up. He's usually better against lefties than righties, also. He carries a decent OBP, but a lot of that is batting average-driven. Without any salary relief back from the Giants, I wouldn't give up Parra or Gamel. I doubt they'd be willing to take Vargas off our hands, but he and a mid-level prospect would be about the most I'd give for an aging and overpriced Winn.

In other words, a likely "pass" from me.

If we are going with the true definition of stop gap in LF then Winn is the type of name we all have to accept. Church is much more inticing but are the Brewers have LaPorta maybe less then a year away.

The fact that LaPorta might be less than a year away does not entice me to believe that spending $16.5 mil on an aging Randy Winn, plus a starting pitcher and a prospect, is an acceptable intermediate.

Actually Winn's splits as a switch-hitter are almost dead even, although he does have a little less power against RHPs as a LH batter. It would be nice to have a switch hitter for a change.

I've always liked Winn, and I've noted several times before that I feel he would be a perfect fit. He has a little bit of speed, although his stolen base numbers have declined the past couple of years, and he plays all three OF positions well. He hits a bunch of doubles, has been pretty consistent through his career, and extremely reliable/healthy. I'm guessing his games played, AB and hit totals from the past 5 years are among the lead leaders in that time span.

As Toby mentioned his salary situation isn't pretty, which could benefit the Brewers if they're willing and able to absorb his salary, meaning they probably wouldn't have to give up as much as you may initially think. I too wouldn't deal either Parra or Gamel for Winn, unless a reliever got involved (one of Brad Hennessey, Vinnie Chulk, Kevin Correira or prospects such as Brian Wilson and Billy Sadler), but I think a deal could be made with some lesser parts that would make both sides happy.

Although I think Ryan Church may be a better overall option.

EDIT: As for LaPorta, I think his last week in the AFL supports that he needs more seasoning in the minors. Having him start next season in the big leagues would be setting him up for failure.

Actually Winn's splits as a switch-hitter are almost dead even, although he does have a little less power against RHPs as a LH batter. It would be nice to have a switch hitter for a change.

3 of the previous 4 years, he's had a much better OPS vs. RHP. 2007 was the first time since 2003 he had a better OPS vs. LHP. Earlier in his career, it was the opposite, but he seems to be trending towards being a better right-handed hitter. I wouldn't belabor the point if I didn't think the Brewers could really use another guy that could hit well from the left side of the plate pretty well, especially at $16.5 mil.

Edit: I check facts good.

If Giants would consider Capuano young and given they're the Giants maybe they would, then I'd be all for a Capuano/Gamel for Winn deal.

I can't see giving up any of the 3 young starters now at the big league level for a guy like Winn though.

Winn fits the description of what is needed and he has the added bonus of being a switch hitter and a good defensive outfielder. His contract is a bit rich, but it's more than offset by the fact that he would ensure Mench would be non-tendered.

To And That's point that he hits lefties better than righties, that was true in 2007, but was just the opposite in 2006. Career-wise he hits both about equally. As for his age being a factor, he's coming off a solid year where he played in 155 games. I don't see it as a factor at all.

I was looking at Winn's career splits:

As a RH batter: .289/.343/.441

As a LH batter: .286/.344/.421

That's about as even as you can get. Most switch hitters seem to have more dramatic career splits from one side or the other.

EDIT: I think it is possible the team could land Winn for Capuano alone, again, especially given the money involved, and I don't necessarily think that trading for Winn would ensure that the team would deal Mench. Mench's bat off of the bench would still be welcomed facing lefties late in games, like Gross' would be vs. RHPs.

I was looking at Winn's career splits:

But it's more common to look at the last 2-4 years, yes? What he's done the last 4 years matters much more to me than what he hit as a 24 year old in Tampa. He's hit RHP better recently, and again, there's no way I spend $16.5 mil hoping that trend evens itself back out. I don't know that I'd trade for him period, much less give up anything of value.

Young SP? Parra, Gamel, and Lance Nix to the Giants for Winn and a bullpen guy?

I wouldn't give Gamel straight up for Winn. I wouldn't give Parra straight up for Winn.

He is an ok player, but cost a significant amount of money. If were were going to spend that much money, we can just go with Gross and Mench.

I think most people on this board overvalue LaPorta and undervalue Gamel. They are both horrible at defense. And both are knocking the cover off of the ball - well, actually LaPorta has really struggled the past few weeks.

Gamel probably won't ever play third base for us - but he looks like as much of an OF prospect as LaPorta does.

Check our Gamel's stats for the Hawaii Winter League this year. (Link)

This seems much more in the line of TGJ for Winn. Compare what the Brewers got for a cheap in his prime Overbay to what people are saying to give up for an old expensive Winn.

My initial thought was TGJ also, but I'd rather play him off the Giants to get something of value from the Padres.

Even if you do trade TGJ for Randy Winn, you're still spending $16.5 mil on Randy Winn.

guys we are going back to being unrealistic. The Giants aren't going to trade what you can argue is their best vet OF for TGJ. Ken Rosenthal is pretty much a guy who won't just spread smoke. Where there is smoke there is fire. We may not all agree that Winn is the proper person to bring in but realistically it is a name you would expect to hear if you believe what Doug Melvin said at his post season presser. Personally I would prefer Carl Crawford or Pat Burrell but everyday I realize that those are pipe dreams and every day I get closer to realizing it is going to be someone like Randy Winn or Moises Alou as guys that will be in our OF and it isn't to appealling.

guys we are going back to being unrealistic. The Giants aren't going to trade what you can argue is their best vet OF for TGJ. Ken Rosenthal is pretty much a guy who won't just spread smoke. Where there is smoke there is fire. We may not all agree that Winn is the proper person to bring in but realistically it is a name you would expect to hear if you believe what Doug Melvin said at his post season presser. Personally I would prefer Carl Crawford or Pat Burrell but everyday I realize that those are pipe dreams and every day I get closer to realizing it is going to be someone like Randy Winn or Moises Alou as guys that will be in our OF and it isn't to appealling.

Most of us know that Carl Crawford and Pat Burrell are unrealistic options, some of us just really don't want Winn and his salary here much less give up something of value for him when a Grench platoon could do basically the same thing but be much cheaper and we wouldn't have to give up anything of value.

Most of us know that Carl Crawford and Pat Burrell are unrealistic options, some of us just really don't want Winn and his salary here much less give up something of value for him when a Grench platoon could do basically the same thing but be much cheaper and we wouldn't have to give up anything of value.

and you aren't going to get an arguement from me. I think that Winn is a upgrade over a platoon. I would assume it would be a more managable package deal. When no specific names were mentioned from Rosenthal side it is hard to piece together what exactly will fit together to make it work.

I am kind of "meh" to the idea of Winn. I mean he is fairly consistent in that he hits lefties as well as righties. Not so sure if he should be considered consistent in a season by season analysis. I would be afraid however, that he might put up this line in 2008: .262/.324/.396. Those were his 2006 stats for which he played in 149 games.

Grant it, he doesn't play in a hitter friendly park, but I am not sure this is a guy I would give up a big time prospect for. Save the prospects for someone who is truely dynamic.

I also agree, Matt LaPorta has not dominated the AFL like Brawny did last year. I don't know that we can count our chickens before they are hatched until he gets a little more seasoning in the minors. Early 2009 might not be the debut of the young LaPorta in Brewer Blue.

I know this won't happen this season, but the only way I see Randy Winn improving the 2008 Brewers is if he plays CF with Hall at 3B and Braun in LF. Winn as a corner OF is underwhelming.

His OPS last year is pretty good, but what if he goes back to hitting like he did in 2006? Then he's (1) old (2) bad and (3) expensive--not a good combination.

Otherwise, I think Gross/Mench have a better than 50/50 chance to outhit Winn next season.

Archived