Brewer Fanatic

Andruw Jones

aracko

His attitude is pathetic.

I really don't see where this comes from. Again, I've watched quite a few Braves games and gotten the chance to talk to the players and if this is true the players nor the fans see it. Jones is loved by most Braves fans and still received standing ovations in August and September in Atlanta. I myself don't believe this to be true.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd rather sign Jones for one year instead of 3 or 4. He seems to be slowing down. He won the GG, but his ZR stinks over the last few years.

No way do I want Rowand. That park in Philly made him. He was not even close to good until he got there.

If we are going to make a commitment to an outfielder, trade Sheets for Matt Kemp and be done with it.

Kemp, Hall, and Hart is a pretty quick outfield.

As for jones taking steriods or HGH, it's highly possible. I would think if a GM is offering a contract to Jones, he would look at his power numbers of last year and the year before and assume Jones can hit at least .250. So what is a .250 hitter who can hit 30 homers worth? A little less than what Hunter received? and a little more than Matthews received last year? I would agree that I doubt Jones signs for anything less than 3 years.

I'd love to add Jones to the brewers. but in saying that, I'd also say any team signing Jones is going to be way overpaying for him. Free agency has never been about paying a player what he is worth. It's an auction. It's ebay. The smart shoppers on ebay know their financial limitations and stop bidding at certain prices. However, as Christmas approaches and Toys R Us is sold out, some shoppers are willing to pay a lot more than retail value for that special gift that Santa promised. if a GM promised he'd deliver a pennant to his fans and news media, he's going to overspend to make it so. Unlike Jerry Jones and Steinbrenner, Melvin and Mr A have made no grandios championship promises so if the asking price for jones gets out of control, they'll bow out of the bidding. Despite the brewers' expressed inquires/interest in jones, i doubt highly, they would agressisely try to sign and overpay for him.

stranger things have happened.

Thanks for scaring me, bjkrautk. I'm with the guys that do not want Andruw Jones. I think his defense is already slipping, and even if he bounces back he still doesn't add any OBP. For the money he'd be asking, not worth the risk. I'd rather take the chance on Rolen, and I think the defensive improvement would be greater with that acquisition than adding Jones.

But, this discussion is now moot.

The free agent market has never, and will never make sense. Timing is everything, and supply and demand (or at least the perception of it) will always rule the day.

I know how and why, but it strikes me as odd when Atlanta offers arbitration to 36-year-old reliever Ron Mahay, but refuses to offer to franchise icon Andruw Jones, because they're certain they'd be stuck with him for another year if they did.

It's a great time to be even an average veteran reliever, it's a rotten time to be a free agent centerfielder, coming off a down year, represented by the Prince of Darkness.

Andruw's not going to get a big deal in this market, period.

It's a great time to be even an average veteran reliever, it's a rotten time to be a free agent centerfielder, coming off a down year, represented by the Prince of Darkness.

Since when does Tom Haudricourt represent Andruw Jones? http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

My disinterest in Jones has softened a little bit, however I would wait to make a play on him until I thought it more likely that he would take a deal totaling three years or less. The sudden dip in output last year worries me a lot, especially with his declining defense.

If we get Rolen, though, this doesn't matter.

Wow. I can't believe Atlanta didn't even offer him arbitration. Andruw Jones might have gotten up to $16 million in arbitration - but at least it would be a one year deal for Atlanta. That isn't too much to risk.

Andruw might end up signing somewhere on a one year contract yet. The mighty have fallen.

Yeah, I can't wait to see if his opinion is positive or negative.

I don't think we will be able to sign Andruw Jones, but you never know. He is only 30 and super talented. If he can come back to somewhere close to his 05 and 06 seasons he would be a great signing. But I don't think theres a good chance of that happening, and I would rather make a trade for a LF/3B w/ obp skills. I think Bill Hall will be a good enough center fielder.

I had no interest in Jones because I thought he would get at least a 4 year contract for 15 million plus a year.

a one or two year contract at no more than 12 mill a year is a lot more attractive, even though I think his range in CF has deteriorated, and I doubt whether he can get his average north of .275.

take it for what its worth, but I know that mark A wants jones pretty bad. He also wanted hunter.

and you heard of this from.....?

I can't say where I heard it from, but its from someone close to melvin. Like I said, he wanted hunter too, so I'm not saying we are getting Jones or anything like that. Just saying that Mark A wants him.

Seems like Mark has been a little too involved in some personnel moves, in my opinion.

I have seen this point repeated many times on this board in the past year, but what real evidence is there for it? Seems like it's based more on "feelings" than anything else.

I think Andruw Jones could be a worthwhile investment. I think he is a likely candidate to have a "bounce back" year, and would probably be a better option than a Gross/Mench platoon.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

hey, has anyone heard turborickey's opinion on this whole andruw jones to milwaukee idea? i'd sure like to know what he thinks, but he seems reluctant to comment.

you are funny, I like you, that is why I will kill you last!

Arnold from the movie classic "Commando"

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

take it for what its worth, but I know that mark A wants jones pretty bad. He also wanted hunter.

I hope DM talks him out of this as a potential signing. For a team that needs obp and fewer K's he is not the guy. career .342 obp and 100+ K's every year since his first full season in 1997.

I'm not too high on Jones bat, but his defense would improve our pitching as much as any pitching addition would.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

I'm not too high on Jones bat, but his defense would improve our pitching as much as any pitching addition would.

I don't think it would. Braun and Weeks would still be on the infield I'd guess so Jones would only help on flyballs.

Archived